2 of 2
Eyes in the sky - Is your right to privacy a thing of the past?
Posted: 13 August 2012 05:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3163
Joined  2011-08-15

Guys, you’re missing something altogether more intrusive; they can watch you from space! Orbiting satellites can see you waving in your backyard. Hell, I can see every detail Of our home down to our grandchildren’s toys in our backyard on google Earth. I even used it on a recent trip to visit my brother in NC near the outer banks. Not only did I find the motel I was staying in but could read the road signs. Even if it’s not in real time it’s scary when you think about it and the military DO have real time satellites. I was recently on a site that showed Times Square in real time, 24/7. I even have a camera looking at me, right now on my I pad. Who’s to say that we may be entering the Minority Report of the future soon?

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 13 August 2012 06:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  2191
Joined  2007-04-26

You make a good point Cap’t. Our privacy has gradually been eroded in lots of ways, not the least of which is the constant tracking of our every move on the internet by all sorts of private companies who aren’t even required to live within the same constitutional guidelines as the government.

I think all of our rights become endangered though when we start to argue that they have been infringed here so why not there. I’m afraid we live in a post 911 society that’s so afraid of its own shadow that they are willing to give the authorities as much power and as many tools as they want if it provides them with a greater sense of safety. Lots of cities now have cameras on every major corner. Some law enforcement agencies want the right to use infrared cameras during surveillance without requiring a warrant. When we have drones patrolling overhead on a routine basis what will be next? Perhaps we will give them the right to access our laptop webcams without our notice whenever they feel “justified”. Its not that hard to do.

the difficulty in getting people fired up about this sort of thing is that everyone always thinks they have nothing to hide so why should they worry, but its not really about having anything to hide. Its about having the right to have a life that’s your own. One where every moment isn’t potentially open for public scrutiny.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 14 August 2012 04:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  1765
Joined  2007-10-22

Plant trees for privacy and to improve the enviroment.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 15 August 2012 12:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  3075
Joined  2011-11-04
garythehuman - 14 August 2012 04:26 PM

Plant trees for privacy and to improve the enviroment.

Yeah, I like that idea better than potato guns.  Shooting potatoes in the air seems a waste of potentially tasty, crispy french fries.  Plus you don’t know where all those potatoes are going to land.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

2 of 2