2 of 5
The Republican Ticket’s Greatest Strength - Lying
Posted: 20 August 2012 01:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3162
Joined  2011-08-15

I try to do that, Jack. But it seems the majority of my FB friends despise anything political. So I try not to overdo it for fear of getting tuned out completely.  But you are absolutely right. We have to spread the message to the masses.

I should qualify my statement by suggesting we talk to those who are willing to listen and refute the viral emails by responding with the facts, whether the sender likes it or not. If nothing else you won’t be receiving any more “I heard” and ” they said” garage. I’ve done this and so far none of them reply with anything to counter the facts, because they don’t have any. And those who do send flaming sputters, usually beginning with F. Most don’t reply. Chalk it up to trying anyway. Somebody might just pay attention. If not then have you some Mitt as we say here.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 20 August 2012 02:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  2011
Joined  2007-08-09

The United States exhibits every sign of a decadent and corrupt society in decline from a mighty heyday.

1. We have major problems we choose to ignore, including climate change and resource scarcity (oil, and water to name two).

2. We have become politically irresponsible and, frankly, stupid. What passes for poltical discourse today would have horrified Edward R. Murrow. It’s no longer about what is true; politics today is about superficial appearances and what a few or many ignorant people can be convinced to believe if someone is clever enough to know how to pander to them.

3. The most devious bastards have the greatest poltical advantages. They have no scruples, and thus are not burdened by concerns for the truth. Now that the right wingers on the Supreme Court have given political rights to money, there’s no limit to the bullshit we’re going to hear - as if things weren’t already bad enough.

People don’t like to hear comparisons to Hitler and Nazi Germany but I doubt that the German people were intentionally devious, or much different from us. They bought right wing propaganda, and we’re doing the same thing - by the truckload.

I could go on but could we are in big trouble. I predict that our economy and perhaps our society will collapse, possibly in my lifetime (next 25 years or so if I’m lucky).

Signature 

I cannot in good conscience support CFI under the current leadership. I am here in dissent and in support of a Humanism that honors and respects everyone.

Posted: 20 August 2012 04:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  4576
Joined  2008-08-14
FreeInKy - 20 August 2012 10:28 AM

Sigh. You’re right, of course.

What happened to the foto?  I deleted it from my reply to save room but I can’t see it in your original posting.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 20 August 2012 07:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Unfortunately, PLaClair, I agree with you.  I see only one tiny factor that may slow down the decay.  In the last few years many elementary and high schools have started teaching critical thinking.  It probably won’t stop the fall, but will cause the growth of dissidents so we may end up like Syria.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 20 August 2012 07:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  3071
Joined  2011-11-04
Occam. - 20 August 2012 07:11 PM

Unfortunately, PLaClair, I agree with you.  I see only one tiny factor that may slow down the decay.  In the last few years many elementary and high schools have started teaching critical thinking.  It probably won’t stop the fall, but will cause the growth of dissidents so we may end up like Syria.

Occam

Nope to that hope, as the Grand Obstructionist Party has a strategy to take care of any government backed teaching of critical thinking.:

http://truth-out.org/news/item/10144-texas-gop-declares-no-more-teaching-of-critical-thinking-skills-in-texas-public-schools

In Texas, I’m not sure it will make much difference, as whatever the schools have been doing to teach critical thinking skills, so far, does not appear to have been working.

[ Edited: 20 August 2012 09:04 PM by TimB ]
 Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 20 August 2012 07:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
VYAZMA - 20 August 2012 10:05 AM
FreeInKy - 15 August 2012 04:46 AM

Quite right. This should scare the hell out of everyone.

It should, but it doesn’t Free.
48% of Americans relish that picture and have been programmed to think unions are bad.
48% of Americans don’t even understand that picture.  Literally don’t understand it.  They may as well be looking at a Jackson Pollock.
The remaining 4% are actual Union members.  And half of them don’t get it either.

The propaganda against Unions has been successful to a fault.  Workers in general seem oblivious to the fact that their working lives are vastly better off due to unions, even if they have never been members of unions themselves.

The class warfare against Unions has pretty much been waged and won by the right, without many of us even recognizing what has been going on.

[ Edited: 20 August 2012 07:52 PM by TimB ]
 Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 20 August 2012 09:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2008-08-14
TimB - 20 August 2012 07:50 PM

48% of Americans relish that picture and have been programmed to think unions are bad.
48% of Americans don’t even understand that picture.  Literally don’t understand it.  They may as well be looking at a Jackson Pollock.
The remaining 4% are actual Union members.  And half of them don’t get it either.

The propaganda against Unions has been successful to a fault.  Workers in general seem oblivious to the fact that their working lives are vastly better off due to unions, even if they have never been members of unions themselves.

The class warfare against Unions has pretty much been waged and won by the right, without many of us even recognizing what has been going on.

Yessir. Workers in general took for granted all the victories of the early 20th century. Now their children and children’s children can eat cake.
I’ve had it. I’ve really had it up to here.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 20 August 2012 10:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
VYAZMA - 20 August 2012 09:55 PM

Yessir. Workers in general took for granted all the victories of the early 20th century. Now their children and children’s children can eat cake.
I’ve had it. I’ve really had it up to here.

I’ve never been a member of a union, but I hear you.  I wish a lot of other people did, as well.

Signature 

Posted: 20 August 2012 10:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2008-08-14

TimB-I’ve never been a member of a union, but I hear you.  I wish a lot of other people did, as well.

The attacks on voters rights is the same dynamic.  It’s all part of American’s apathy for things that matter, and fixation on instant gratification of superficial garbage.
People get the society/government they deserve.

Signature 

Posted: 21 August 2012 02:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
VYAZMA - 20 August 2012 10:36 PM

TimB-I’ve never been a member of a union, but I hear you.  I wish a lot of other people did, as well.

The attacks on voters rights is the same dynamic.  It’s all part of American’s apathy for things that matter, and fixation on instant gratification of superficial garbage.
People get the society/government they deserve.

Our enemies are greed, corruption, and apathy, and the greatest of these is apathy.

Signature 

Posted: 21 August 2012 10:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01
VYAZMA - 20 August 2012 04:11 PM
FreeInKy - 20 August 2012 10:28 AM

Sigh. You’re right, of course.

What happened to the foto?  I deleted it from my reply to save room but I can’t see it in your original posting.

That’s weird… it still shows up for me. You can also see it on the Wolf PAC FaceBook page: http://www.facebook.com/WolfPAChq

By the way, Wolf PAC is something to check out.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 21 August 2012 03:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Total Posts:  2681
Joined  2011-04-24

To an extent, unions have made life better for many people, but they’ve also created huge problems that the beneficiaries of unionization can’t or won’t fix.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 21 August 2012 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Total Posts:  4297
Joined  2010-08-15

For a little background, this nightmare started with Reagan and his minions.  Remember the great words of strategist Grover Norquist

My goal is to cut government in half in twenty-five years, to get it down to the size where we can drown it in the bathtub.

Now I’m not saying Democrats haven’t been jerks along the way and played into Republican paranoia - but blaming every problem on social welfare and pretending that businesses should go unregulated is like saying children should be raised without any limits or discipline - both result in self (and community) destructive delinquents.
But, perhaps I’m digressing off point.

Still here’s an interesting review of the historic perspective
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starve_the_beast

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 21 August 2012 04:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Total Posts:  433
Joined  2012-02-02

Reagan’s also the guy who cuddled up to the Rightwing nutters despite Barry Goldwater saying it was a bad idea.

Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they’re sure trying to do so, it’s going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can’t and won’t compromise. I know, I’ve tried to deal with them.

Signature 

“There will come a time when it isn’t ‘They’re spying on me through my phone’ anymore. Eventually, it will be ‘My phone is spying on me’.” ― Philip K. Dick

The Atheist in the Trailer Park

Posted: 21 August 2012 06:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Total Posts:  3162
Joined  2011-08-15

To an extent, unions have made life better for many people, but they’ve also created huge problems that the beneficiaries of unionization can’t or won’t fix.

Mike, ya gotta splain’ this to me man. I’ve been involved in unions all of my working life from the auto workers, teamsters, and NEA, and have seen only benefits not only for the members but for management as well. A well written contract protects both sides allowing for compromise based on profits and living wages. it provides a reciprocal agreement that makes negotiation easier by putting the cards on the table so to speak. I’m not going into detail about the historical struggle that unions faced; you may know that already but suffice it to say that without them underemployment would be massive with no guarantees of retirement, in short near slave labor as in the 19th Century. The fact that union membership is down is related to the mistaken impression that they are no longer needed and that state and national governments will protect the worker. This is self delusional. Neocons want less government involvement and seek to dismantle these protections leaving the worker unprotected. As wages are eaten up by the cost of living (around 3% annually) and raises withheld by the employers the middle and lower classes join the ranks of the poor. It’s happening now as the wealthy make war on the unions, somewhat successfully. We stopped them here, but unless more people wake up from their self induced slumber and realize what’s about to happen it’s low wage jobs for us all, except the wealthy of course. And if that sounds Marxist Christine, then tough shit.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

2 of 5