4 of 5
The Republican Ticket’s Greatest Strength - Lying
Posted: 24 August 2012 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4447
Joined  2008-08-14
TimB - 24 August 2012 10:26 AM

Vyasma, I salute you for telling it like it is.

Hey Bro, you don’t have to salute me.  grin  Let me salute you!

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 30 August 2012 01:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Total Posts:  3052
Joined  2011-11-04

I offer the latest evidence to support the topic of this thread.  Paul Ryan’s speech at he GOP Convention was rife with lies.  The Republicans cannot win this election without 1) setting forth massive lies 2) using an overwhelming amount of money (which they also know as “free speech”) to reinforce their lies and 3) doing whatever they can to disenfranchise voters who would most likely vote against them.

They have nothing substantive to offer.  If not for the power of deceipt and corruption, they would not even be in this race.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 30 August 2012 03:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Total Posts:  6013
Joined  2009-02-26

Later there was an interview with another prominent republican re the closing of a GM plant. During the campaign against McCain, Obama made a speech promising to keep the plant open when he became president. In the December, before Obama was sworn in as president, the plant actually closed. Absolutely nothing he could do about it.
Now the republicans are claiming that Obama failed in his promise and that this constitutes proof that he handled things poorly and that he was responsible for that plant closing because he had “promised to keep it open”.

It was like a little boy stomping his foot cause daddy had PROMISED to buy him an ice cream cone, but the store was closed. “BUT YOU PROMISED!!!”

Its sickening how low the politics have sunk.  But we are an “exceptional country”!  Too bad the people are not living up to their good fortune.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 30 August 2012 03:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

I just read an article that debunked a good number of the many lies told at the GOP Convention, so far.  What struck me was that the article never used the term “lies”.  Here are the euphemisms used instead:

some factual shortcuts
glossed over
bucked reality
stretched the truth
vague promises, which are unrealistic

Such euphemsims almost make the massive systematic campaign of lying seem benign.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5g-idXN507ddM9eGKwcnAi9rg5xMw?docId=14898048670841759c6755a7cabfd5d5

[ Edited: 30 August 2012 03:29 AM by TimB ]
 Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 30 August 2012 03:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15356
Joined  2006-02-14

HERE‘s more ...

Top 5 Fibs In Paul Ryan’s Convention Speech

BRIAN BEUTLER AUGUST 30, 2012, 12:12 AM

Vice Presidential nominee Paul Ryan’s headlining speech at the GOP convention in Tampa Wednesday night touched on many of the election’s defining issues. But it was also filled with prevarications — not just recitations of the conventions “you didn’t build that” theme, but on the very policy matters that have endeared him to the political establishment in Washington. ...

I think there is a journalistic etiquette against the word “lie”, because Beutler uses “fib”, “prevarication” and later “misstatements of fact”.

One problem with the title: my dictionary defines “fib” as “a lie, typically an unimportant one”. These lies are not unimportant. I suppose the “white lie” of these being “fibs” is supposed to throw a mask over the faint possibility that Ryan actually believes the crap he’s pushing.

OTOH who knows with this guy? As Andrew Sullivan noted HERE,

... I have to say that Ryan’s embrace of Rand and Catholicism reveals he is either extremely ignorant or fathomlessly dumb. They are not somewhat different variants on “movement conservatism”; they are polar opposites. Jesus and Ayn Rand simply could not be further apart. A man who reveres both is a gigantic fool or a massive fraud.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 30 August 2012 04:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15356
Joined  2006-02-14

Wow, even Fox News—or at least a contributor on their website—says Ryan’s speech was “deceiving”.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 30 August 2012 01:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Total Posts:  776
Joined  2009-07-17
TimB - 22 August 2012 07:28 AM

Which has contributed more to the death of American industries and to the decreasing quality of American workers lives? A) Unions, who gave us a 40 hr work week and holidays and a living wage, and various worker protections, etc., etc.  or B) the business practices of the “captains of industry"exporting jobs and unregulated speculating high end capitalists exporting wealth to the few

I’ll give you a hint.  It’s B.

As you and others drink the 1% koolaid, the lives of current and future generations of American workers will continue to decline in quality.

It’s not the largest factor, but I think people’s excessive consumption of goods is part of the problem as well. ‘Everyone’ wants a 60” flat screen TV; to be able to get the price down so that most can buy them, manufacturers produce them where labor is cheap. I’d think that applies to most goods including food. <shrug>

I’d really like to see a good balance between liberals and conservatives to achieve the most good for the most people. But the current GOP leaders don’t seem to share that vision. (I also don’t know if the Democrats share that vision either…)

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 30 August 2012 01:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
dougsmith - 30 August 2012 04:10 AM

Wow, even Fox News—or at least a contributor on their website—says Ryan’s speech was “deceiving”.

If Sally Kohn was a regular on Fox I would have applauded Fox.
Unfortunately to maintain an illusion of “fair and balanced” Fox asked Sally to write the “liberal” (opposing) response to Rayn’s speech.

http://sallykohn.com

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 30 August 2012 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

What I fear is that this election is likely to be decided by the “independent” voters (IOW voters who pay the least attention).Those who pay little attention are easily deceived. But if even Fox News acknowledges the lies, perhaps there is hope.

Signature 

Posted: 30 August 2012 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
Write4U - 30 August 2012 01:38 PM

If Sally Kohn was a regular on Fox I would have applauded Fox.
Unfortunately to maintain an illusion of “fair and balanced” Fox asked Sally to write the “liberal” (opposing) response to Rayn’s speech.

http://sallykohn.com

That fits. I was wondering why Fox would change its modus operandi.  They didn’t.  They just throw in a little bit of truth to innoculate their viewers against it.

Signature 

Posted: 30 August 2012 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
harry canyon - 30 August 2012 01:20 PM

Which has contributed more to the death of American industries and to the decreasing quality of American workers lives? A) Unions, who gave us a 40 hr work week and holidays and a living wage, and various worker protections, etc., etc.  or B) the business practices of the “captains of industry"exporting jobs and unregulated speculating high end capitalists exporting wealth to the few

As you and others drink the 1% koolaid, the lives of current and future generations of American workers will continue to decline in quality.

It’s not the largest factor, but I think people’s excessive consumption of goods is part of the problem as well. ‘Everyone’ wants a 60” flat screen TV; to be able to get the price down so that most can buy them, manufacturers produce them where labor is cheap. I’d think that applies to most goods including food. <shrug>

I’d really like to see a good balance between liberals and conservatives to achieve the most good for the most people. But the current GOP leaders don’t seem to share that vision. (I also don’t know if the Democrats share that vision either…)

Take care,

Derek

Bipartisanship and attempts to compromise don’t work with the current makeup of Republican congressmen.  Obama tried it and they used it to burn him.

Signature 

Posted: 30 August 2012 04:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Total Posts:  776
Joined  2009-07-17
TimB - 30 August 2012 01:49 PM
harry canyon - 30 August 2012 01:20 PM

Take care,

Derek

Bipartisanship and attempts to compromise don’t work with the current makeup of Republican congressmen.  Obama tried it and they used it to burn him.

Oh I understand that. It’s just a bit of wishful thinking on my part.  smile

One of the biggest problems, IMO, is the Tea Party element. They want what they want and there’s no reasoning with them. It reminds me of dealing with a 3 year old. At least the 3 year old I can have sit in the corner. That’s what a good percentage of the House needs, a time out! LOL

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 31 August 2012 12:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Total Posts:  3349
Joined  2007-11-21
TimB - 30 August 2012 01:43 PM

What I fear is that this election is likely to be decided by the “independent” voters (IOW voters who pay the least attention).Those who pay little attention are easily deceived. But if even Fox News acknowledges the lies, perhaps there is hope.

You’re doing the independent voter an injustice.  The least-informed voters are Democratic Party voters because the Democratic Party represents a coalition between academic elites and people with the least political knowledge.  That’s part of the reason Democrats work so hard to make sure that everyone votes.

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/republicans_better_informed/

Posted: 31 August 2012 01:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
Bryan - 31 August 2012 12:55 AM
TimB - 30 August 2012 01:43 PM

You’re doing the independent voter an injustice.  The least-informed voters are Democratic Party voters because the Democratic Party represents a coalition between academic elites and people with the least political knowledge.  That’s part of the reason Democrats work so hard to make sure that everyone votes.

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/republicans_better_informed/

I agree that independents seem to take time weighing all the facts. IMO the difference between the Dems and Reps is a fundamental philosophical view of what a thriving society should look like.

Signature 

W4U

Posted: 31 August 2012 01:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Joined  2009-02-26

I wish that instead of saying “the government takes too much” a more accurate description would be that “society requires a mutual sacrifice, in order to afford everyone a minimum level of comfort.
In principle government represents three branches of order in a well functioning society. Executive (administrative), Judicial (regulations) and Legislative (representation from all the people). Government does not take anything, it makes no profit. It is not a person! Fair and just government is the infrastructure of a society as highways and bridges are the infrastructure of the country. Government does not take and keep anything, it takes and distributes where it is needed.
This is why important programs such as social security and medicare were installed “in the first place”. To try and repeal these programs and “leave it to each individual state will set us back to the time when we recognized those programs were needed.

The single greatest corruptive power in this equation is the power of the very rich who complain the loudest. Seen the stockmarket lately? Ain’t too bad for big business, is it?

[ Edited: 31 August 2012 01:52 AM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

W4U

4 of 5