First Kentucky Freethought Convention
Posted: 15 August 2012 11:50 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

This is a first for us: The Kentucky Freethought Convention will take place on October 6, 2012 in Lexington, Kentucky.

Speakers include:

Seth Andrews
Former Christian radio broadcaster; Thinking Atheist podcast

annalise fonza, Ph.D.
Former United Methodist Church clergywoman

Edwin Kagin
Founder of Camp Quest; National Legal Advisor for American Atheist

Edwin Kagin, J.D.
Attorney at law in Union, Kentucky, a founder of Camp Quest, and the National Legal Director for American Atheists.

Jim Krupa, PhD
Professor of Environmental and Evolutionary Biology at the University of Kentucky

Dr. Will Gervais
Associate Professor of Social Psychology at the University of Kentucky

Gretchen Mann, M.D.
Chief Medical Officer, Military Entrance Processing Station, Louisville; Ended worldwide Gideon proselytizing

Jen McCreight
McCreight is a doctoral student and SSA board member who is known for her blog BlagHag and the Boob Quake event (http://www.blaghag.com/2010/04/in-name-of-science-i-offer-my-boobs.html).

More info here: http://www.kyfreethoughtconvention.com/

I’ll be there!

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 16 August 2012 07:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  2891
Joined  2011-08-15

BLast! I wish I could go but we’ll be in Fla. that week. I did save the site to favorites and will be on the look out for any more meetings or conventions. I assume it will be held in the student center? I’ll definitely be there next time. Kudos to the atheist community of Central Ky!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 16 August 2012 07:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2011-08-01

That sucks. I was hoping you could make it so we could meet up. Hopefully this is the first of many.

Yes, it will be in the grand ballroom of the student center. I expect there to be some rough edges, this being the first. But I am very excited about it. I have been in Internet conversations with some local Humanists who are helping to organize the event, but so far I have not met any of them face to face. This will be the first time since my de-conversion that I will be in a public place as a Humanist. I am excited and nervous, but really looking forward to connecting with some like-minded folks.

Anyone else within driving distance of Lexington thinking of making the trip?

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 16 August 2012 11:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  2891
Joined  2011-08-15

Damn! I wanted to meet you as well. I hope you post a report on the event and I will be monitoring the site any future meetings. It sounds like those folks have it together and will continue to grow. Also sounds like they have attracted some interesting speakers for the event. I’m excited that it’s so close, barely two hours away. shoot, maybe they can get Joe Nickell to visit his alma mater!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 20 August 2012 09:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2011-08-01
Thevillageatheist - 16 August 2012 11:49 AM

Damn! I wanted to meet you as well. I hope you post a report on the event and I will be monitoring the site any future meetings. It sounds like those folks have it together and will continue to grow. Also sounds like they have attracted some interesting speakers for the event. I’m excited that it’s so close, barely two hours away. shoot, maybe they can get Joe Nickell to visit his alma mater!

I’m guessing Joe was on the short list but probably couldn’t make this one. Hopefully next year. I’ve never met Joe but he grew up about 20 miles form where I did. He has written a historical column for the local paper for many years.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist