Subject: Five times more atheists worldwide, 2005-2012
Posted: 16 August 2012 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

Poll shows atheism on the rise in the U.S.  Aug 14, 2012 by Kimberly Winston

“The poll, called ‘The Global Index of Religiosity and Atheism,’ found that the number of Americans who say they are ‘religious’ dropped from 73 percent in 2005 (the last time the poll was conducted) to 60 percent.

“At the same time, the number of Americans who say they are atheists rose, from 1 percent to 5 percent.”

Lenard Lopate interviews Kimberly Winston

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 22 August 2012 02:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3347
Joined  2011-11-04
jump_in_the_pit - 16 August 2012 01:54 PM

Poll shows atheism on the rise in the U.S.  Aug 14, 2012 by Kimberly Winston

“The poll, called ‘The Global Index of Religiosity and Atheism,’ found that the number of Americans who say they are ‘religious’ dropped from 73 percent in 2005 (the last time the poll was conducted) to 60 percent.

“At the same time, the number of Americans who say they are atheists rose, from 1 percent to 5 percent.”

Lenard Lopate interviews Kimberly Winston

What one believes, and what one says they believe are often different.  Given the negative contingencies that one can often expose themselves to by saying that they are an atheist, my guess is that (if the polling was done with rigorous scientific method) that there are significantly more actual atheists (the percent, over the 5% who are willing to say so, being, if you will, closet atheists).

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.