1 of 2
Even the NY Times prints junk science now.
Posted: 18 August 2012 05:47 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2018
Joined  2007-04-26

This was actually put in the science section of the NY Times. I used to have a lot of respect for this paper but now even this once honorable bastion of good journalism has succumbed to the lure of sloppy thinking.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/21/science/in-andalusia-searching-for-inherited-memories.html?_r=1&ref=science

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 18 August 2012 05:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

Oy, yeah, that’s pretty bad. But believe me: they do publish junk science from time to time. Generally they’re pretty good, but I’ve read several articles that made me want to roll my eyes.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 18 August 2012 06:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  4618
Joined  2007-10-05

That article is pathetic. Does the NYT have a science editor?

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 18 August 2012 08:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2007-04-26

I think the thing that is most appalling about this is its written by someone with no science credentials who has pasted together a couple of elements of real science ( ie. epigenetics) to come up with her own poorly supported theory and then they publish it in the science section giving it a measure of credibility in the eyes of the readers. I think I’l write a letter to the editor and see if they respond but this is a real shame when one of the most respected papers in the country starts to slide into this sort of sloppy journalism.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 18 August 2012 09:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02

Where do they get some of these crazy ideas?  I really don’t see how ancestors work through us with pain and suffering or unfinished business.  That is really bad.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 18 August 2012 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  5175
Joined  2010-06-16

They, like all information media, publish what will sell more of their product.  If they get postive feedback from an article like this, they’ll put out more.  If you and others write condemning them for their lack of scientific honesty, they’ll think twice about publishing the next dreck that’s offered.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 18 August 2012 01:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

Though this is a “science” article it wasn’t published on a Tuesday when their special science section comes out. That may mean it wasn’t vetted by an actual science editor, but instead by a book editor or some such thing.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 18 August 2012 07:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  1396
Joined  2010-04-22

Epigenetics is cool in the fiction of Dune, but that’s about it.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 18 August 2012 07:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2007-04-26

Epigenetics is actually very cool and its real science, its just misappropriated in this article.  Epigenetics is a valid mechanism by which environmental influences can cause changes in successive generations of offspring. There are a number of good examples but the author of this article is proposing an example which makes no sense. The author of this article is claiming that a parents experience can then make epigenetic changes which can impart memory of those expeirences to the offspring and that these memories are the memories of the adult. No such phenomena has ever been associated with epigenetic changes and there is no mechanism I can imagine whereby that would be possible.

Signature 

Posted: 18 August 2012 11:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  1396
Joined  2010-04-22

Ah, well, yes, good point, macgyver-avatar. The Dune reference is about the best value I can think of in this.

I didn’t bother to read all of the article. Did he find Spice in Andalusia, by any chance? That’s how I understand the mechanism has to work. No spice, no shared ancestral memories. And only men can share the memories of all of his ancestors - women can only share their mothers’.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 19 August 2012 04:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  4375
Joined  2007-08-31

It seems to me that, more or less as usual, that when some new interesting idea is found in science (yes, epigenetics is science), some people start freewheeling with these ideas. You see this continuously with relativity and QM, because there is always a moment in life that these ideas are new for somebody. Some people then stick in the nice feelings they produce in their fantasies, thinking that ‘science has shown that ... <fill-in-some-nonsense-here>’.

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 19 August 2012 04:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  2588
Joined  2011-04-24

Total garbage.

This reporter is a joke; or does being a joke even matter to a reporter?

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 19 August 2012 05:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

Just to be fair: this article is marked an “essay”, which I think means it is not written by one of their actual reporters, much less one of their science reporters. I expect it was a one-off, perhaps a friend or acquaintance of one of their more literary editors.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 19 August 2012 06:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  4618
Joined  2007-10-05

That is still no excuse for publishing it, especially in the science section.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 19 August 2012 06:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
DarronS - 19 August 2012 06:08 AM

That is still no excuse for publishing it, especially in the science section.

Just realized it hasn’t yet been published, and will be this Tuesday. Agreed.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 19 August 2012 08:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02

Why publish the rubbish at all?  How could the science editor pass this article when it isn’t actually science?

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

1 of 2