2 of 2
Even the NY Times prints junk science now.
Posted: 20 August 2012 09:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3330
Joined  2011-11-04
TromboneAndrew - 18 August 2012 11:21 PM

Ah, well, yes, good point, macgyver-avatar. The Dune reference is about the best value I can think of in this.

I didn’t bother to read all of the article. Did he find Spice in Andalusia, by any chance? That’s how I understand the mechanism has to work. No spice, no shared ancestral memories. And only men can share the memories of all of his ancestors - women can only share their mothers’.

There was a trilogy of books (Clan of the Cave Bear, I think was the name of the first, that were pretty good until the 2nd or 3rd in the series got bogged down primarily in romance) in which a young homo-sapien girl was adopted by a tribe of neanderthals.  The neanderthals had transgenerational memories.  So the idea can be an entertaining element in science fiction/fantasy.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 12 September 2012 03:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2011-10-18

Most likely this thing was published because people are eating this stuff up nowadays.

Just take a look at all the paranormal fiction out there, this stuff sells.

Yes, there is no excuse for publishing junk science as valid, but it sells papers and that’s all that matters these days.

2 of 2