Lower Jaw?
Posted: 18 August 2012 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  207
Joined  2011-09-23

Somehow i have looked at some drawings, concepts of fictional beings.
What i find interesting are things like that one below, or some dragons, cause they have a far longer lower jaw, or a very long “chin”.
Do we have such animals around (no dinosaurs)? (cant remember any)
How do they eat, do they have to bend their neck until their teeth, more ore less, line up so that the can take a bite?
Are there animals around which look like that and dont have to bend their head to do so?

leothin_antel_by_oukamiyoukai45-d5bjca3.png

Posted: 19 August 2012 07:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3797
Joined  2010-08-15

That’s fiction for you, it don’t have to work, so long as it looks cool.

PS
Where did those extra legs sprout from?

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 20 August 2012 05:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2011-09-23

I know but i asked if we have something like that around, may be i couldnt remember and such jaws really work.

That with the extra legs, as far as i know the Leothin are from another planet so their evolution may have been different and the lifeforms on that world ended up with 3 pairs of extremities.

[ Edited: 20 August 2012 05:58 PM by Alexander80 ]

Posted: 20 August 2012 09:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2009-07-17
Alexander80 - 20 August 2012 05:55 PM

I know but i asked if we have something like that around, may be i couldnt remember and such jaws really work.

That with the extra legs, as far as i know the Leothin are from another planet so their evolution may have been different and the lifeforms on that world ended up with 3 pairs of extremities.

I’m not sure if this qualifies as a jaw, but what about pelicans? Or some of the spoon billed birds?

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 21 August 2012 12:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  1396
Joined  2010-04-22

It can be hard to find a good side-head-shot, but I believe that Kiera Knightley has a fairly massive lower jaw.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 21 August 2012 08:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2011-09-23

Maybe, but KK is still alive and didnt starve to death, i think mainly because she can use her hands to move food into the right position.
I think we would have a hard time if we would have to rip appart things on the ground while being on all fours.

Pelicans dont have teeth and they dont have to bite their food to size, they simply swallow what they catch, also as far as i know birds can move their “Maxilla”* much farther appart from their “lower jaw” than many other animals.

*Dont think thats the right word.

Posted: 21 August 2012 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  2285
Joined  2007-07-05

I saw a documentary years ago about birds.

There was one bird whose lower bill was longer than the upper and they said it was the only bird in the world like that.  It would drag its lower bill in a lake creating bubbles and attracted fish.

I have searched the Internet for it but haven’t found it.

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental