1 of 10
The metric system
Posted: 21 August 2012 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

You people outside the U.S. (and a few small Caribbean states) don’t know how lucky you are that your leaders saw the wisdom of adopting the metric system. I get so frustrated reading scientific and international books and articles where it is used and I have to continually make mental calculations to convert to the (terrible) system I am used to.

My generation was supposed to be the first American metric generation. In grade school in the 70’s, they taught metric along side our system and explained that we would soon be using it for everything. For a while road signs and product packaging started to include both units of measure. (I understand in some parts of the country you can still see this, although here in the south, I haven’t seen a kilometer on a road sign in years.) We were making preparations, and then—I don’t know what happened. The momentum stopped and suddenly there was no more talk of conversion.

So now we are the odd lot, still clinging to a primitive system that is cumbersome and confusing. If I were to guess, I’d say there is considerable overlap between the people who killed metric in the U.S. and the people who embrace creationism, deny climate change, and want the U.S. to get out of the U.N.

[ Edited: 21 August 2012 12:02 PM by FreeInKy ]
 Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 21 August 2012 12:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I believe Republican legislatures voted it down - probably because they felt it wasn’t biblical.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 21 August 2012 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01
Occam. - 21 August 2012 12:03 PM

I believe Republican legislatures voted it down - probably because they felt it wasn’t biblical.  LOL

Great. The next phase is to go back to cubits!  big surprise

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 21 August 2012 03:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  6162
Joined  2009-02-26

Is it any wonder Americans can’t think logically. The entire measuring system is illogical and inconsistent.

wiki

From its beginning, the main feature of the metric system was the standard set of inter-related base units and a standard set of prefixes in powers of ten. These base units are used to derive larger and smaller units and replaced a huge number of unstandardised units of measure that existed previously. While the system was first developed for commercial use, its coherent set of units made it particularly suitable for scientific and engineering purposes.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 21 August 2012 07:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Yeah, each time I have to calculate what 13 sixteens are, I ask myself what exactly I am doing in Canada. But at least we have kilometers and Celsius here. As I already said earlier, we are the missing link between the U.S. and Europe.  grin

Posted: 22 August 2012 09:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

I agree that we, and Canada, would have done better had we adopted the metric system, entirely.  Oh, by the way, George, all you have to do to calculate what 13 sixteenths is, is multiply 13 by 0.0625. LOL

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 22 August 2012 09:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
Occam. - 22 August 2012 09:21 AM

Oh, by the way, George, all you have to do to calculate what 13 sixteenths is, is multiply 13 by 0.0625. LOL

I guess if I didn’t know that already, Occam, I would have a serious problem.  smirk

I must also add, though, that as a designer I use Pica, and this is based on the Imperial system. And I love Pica!

Posted: 22 August 2012 02:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  207
Joined  2011-09-23

What exactly is meant with “sixteens”?

Posted: 22 August 2012 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
Alexander80 - 22 August 2012 02:27 PM

It’s misspelt “sixteenths,” one part divided into sixteen parts.

Posted: 22 August 2012 03:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
George - 22 August 2012 02:45 PM

It’s misspelt “sixteenths,” one part divided into sixteen parts.

That is “sixteenths of an inch” or even ‘thirtyseconds of an inch”, where an inch is a twelfth of a foot. A foot is a unit of length defined as being 0.3048 m exactly.

Still wanna become an architect?  At least the scientific world has adopted the metric system.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 22 August 2012 03:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

Really????  That’s a pretty far out level of nit-picking.  I easily understood precisely what George meant.

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 22 August 2012 03:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  7614
Joined  2007-03-02

As a U. S. citizen, I am glad we never converted.  I never did understand it even when they tried to push it on us in elementary school.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 22 August 2012 04:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2012-07-13
Mriana - 22 August 2012 03:43 PM

As a U. S. citizen, I am glad we never converted.  I never did understand it even when they tried to push it on us in elementary school.

As a more logical, common sense, simple system of measuring things, I can’t see why.  Science and most of the rest of the world use the metric system for a reason.

There’s something to be said for tradition, but not when it means you let the world pass you by with a better way of doing things.  Carpentry will be influenced by imperial for generations, and conversational English will carry imperial terms for longer, so you won’t lose it instantly.

Signature 

It is morally as bad not to care whether a thing is true or not, so long as it makes you feel good, as it is not to care how you got your money as long as you have got it.  Edmund Way Teale, Circle of the Seasons

Posted: 22 August 2012 04:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
Occam. - 22 August 2012 03:27 PM

Really????  That’s a pretty far out level of nit-picking.  I easily understood precisely what George meant.

Occam

Actually that might be called a metric measure. Sixteens, 6 X 10 = 60 . Heck, we have a measurement named “bushel”... cheese

[ Edited: 22 August 2012 04:45 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

W4U

Posted: 22 August 2012 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  7614
Joined  2007-03-02
3point14rat - 22 August 2012 04:00 PM
Mriana - 22 August 2012 03:43 PM

As a more logical, common sense, simple system of measuring things, I can’t see why.  Science and most of the rest of the world use the metric system for a reason.

There’s something to be said for tradition, but not when it means you let the world pass you by with a better way of doing things.  Carpentry will be influenced by imperial for generations, and conversational English will carry imperial terms for longer, so you won’t lose it instantly.

I’m always going to sites that translates metrics into something I comprehend.  I really don’t see how metrics is a better system, to be honest.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 22 August 2012 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Mriana, what do you find easier to calculate: 2 3/16—1 2/8, or 2.60—1.15?

1 of 10