Todd Akin
Posted: 21 August 2012 03:18 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  438
Joined  2009-01-28

Todd Akin ‘legitimate rape’ remark draws bipartisan calls to quit race

“It seems to me, first of all, from what I understand from doctors, that’s really rare. If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down,” Akin said.

what a bonehead.  personally, i hope he stays in and delivers missouri back to the democrats.

Posted: 21 August 2012 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  2588
Joined  2011-04-24
skuld - 21 August 2012 03:18 PM

Todd Akin ‘legitimate rape’ remark draws bipartisan calls to quit race

“It seems to me, first of all, from what I understand from doctors, that’s really rare. If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down,” Akin said.

what a bonehead.  personally, i hope he stays in and delivers missouri back to the democrats.

If he actually believes that, then he is outrageously, explosively, side - splittingly ignorant.

Then we have to consider whether his constituents know that he is wayyyyyy incorrect. rolleyes

These things make us look good to the rest of the world!!!

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 21 August 2012 06:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  5187
Joined  2010-06-16

As I suggested in another thread, quite possibly his “proof” is that none of the women he raped got pregnant.  vampire

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 05 October 2012 07:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  3799
Joined  2010-08-15

I received an email about Todd Akin this evening that I couldn’t quite believe until I did a little internet search and dang if you can’t hear the words flowing right from the idiots mouth.  What’s terrifying is how many Americans out there buy right into this sort of lunacy.

“You find that along with the culture of death go all kinds of other law-breaking: Not following good sanitary procedure, giving abortions to women who are not actually pregnant, cheating on taxes, all these kinds of things.”

“All of these things are common practice,” Akin continued, “but all of that information is available for America.”

watch the speech yourself if you don’t believe it’s possible: http://gawker.com/5948459

sorry hell of way to say hello again, but what can I say, never know when the free minutes (& inspiration) show up.

oh oh

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 05 October 2012 09:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2012-10-02

I’m a republican, have been for many years.  It embarasses me to no end to think that this guy belongs to the same class of people that I claim affiliation with.  Someone with his scientific and moral ingnorance has no place in public office.  I hate to give up a republican seat, but Missouri, I beg you, do not give this guy a pass on his prejudice and ignorance.

Warren

Posted: 05 October 2012 10:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11

He is probably referring to a D&C—dilation and curettage, which is done to abort, or after a miscarriage to make sure all of the products of the conception are removed to prevent infection and bleeding. It is also done for other uterine problems unrelated to pregancy and sometimes to remove polyps, scar tissue and overgrowth of uterine tissue so the woman CAN carry a pregnancy. His remarks show he has NO grasp of biology, and has not bothered to ask anyone competent to explain it to him.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 06 October 2012 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  5187
Joined  2010-06-16

Warren, I respect your right to have a conservative philosophy, but there are quite a few federal legislators who have similarly bizarre views on much of science.  You might want to look over the statements of quite a few Republican pliticians (see “A total idiot on the House Science Committee” in the Religion and Secularism sub-forum above), and identify those who have about the same level of knowledge and reasoning as Akin.  I suggest that one of the best things you could do is work within your party to replace those crackpots with intelligent, rational (albeit conservative) politicians.

Who knows, if you managed to get that change, some of the independents and Democrats might even vote for them. smile

Occam

[ Edited: 06 October 2012 03:20 PM by Occam. ]
 Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 06 October 2012 04:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02

Todd Akin makes me ashamed to be a Missourian, because he is the stereotype dumb hillbilly.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 06 October 2012 07:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2012-10-02

Hi Occam,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I think I will try to do that.  There are certainly plenty of conservative politicians to chose from.  And you may very well be correct that if we can clean house of the superstitious nonsense, more people will support the good policies that are left over.

I just started a webpage where I plan to try to address the lack of skepticism and critical thinking in politics.  It’s a new blog and I have not built any attention for it yet.  But perhaps I could make a section on there dedicated to identifying specific politicians and their wacky, destructive beliefs.

Warren

Posted: 06 October 2012 08:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11

Meanwhile, there is this idiot…and he wrote a book clearly espousing his views.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/05/jon-hubbard-arkansas-slavery-book_n_1943661.html

Jon Hubbard, a Republican member of the Arkansas House of Representatives, has written a new book in which he says slavery was “a blessing” for African-Americans, among other questionable statements. 

and..

Hubbard also tackled immigration and said that Christians in America are in a similar position to that of Germans during Hitler’s rise to power.

...and so on and so forth…

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 06 October 2012 08:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  2886
Joined  2011-08-15

This doesn’t represent conservatism; it’s pseudo historical crap written by someone with the mind of a 12 year old redneck. This is the kind of garbage espoused by a typical troglodytic klansman. He should just come out of the closet wearing sheet and hood and holding a rebel flag with a “forget hell” sign on his chest. Once again, idiots like this are backed by their electorate so they’re still out there praisin’ jeebus and protectin’ amendment 2. Also, just goes to show that anyone can use vanity press to get their point across.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 09 October 2012 06:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2012-10-09

I hope Bill Nye smokes Todd Akin in his debate.

Posted: 11 October 2012 09:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  1741
Joined  2007-10-22

I was working at my mother’s house yesterday and got a fund raising call from Akin’s campaign.  It was a recorded message and I could not get anyone live.  I was going to suggest that Akin and a couple of his aides spend a few nights at one of their local penitentiary as part of the “population.”  My thought was this could give them a better insight into the difference between legitimate and other types of rape. cool grin

BTW the call was received in New York State, must be a hell of a fund raising campaign.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.