Geologic Evolution?  any thoughts
Posted: 21 August 2012 03:26 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4030
Joined  2010-08-15

Being a lay person I can be a bit sloppy with scientific terms.

Now that I’ve finished that essay and am working on inserting links to support the various claims I make.
I’m reminded that some… many?, would take issue with the thought of ‘geologic evolution’ claiming evolution
is strictly a biological process. 

Yet, to my way of thinking, I’ve always felt that the many changes and developments of our lithosphere
from volcanic origins to erosion, deposition, compaction, subduction, etc. etc are a type of evolution in and of themselves. 
Plus from a very early time period life itself started playing an active role in how geology and the atmosphere developed.

I do appreciate that “Evolution is any change across successive generations in the inherited characteristics of biological populations”
and that this doesn’t exactly describe geologic processes… even though geology builds upon what occurred previously.

any thoughts?  opinions?

[ Edited: 22 August 2012 10:16 AM by citizenschallenge.pm ]
 Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 21 August 2012 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  2649
Joined  2011-04-24

The same laws of physics and chemistry that are responsible for Bio evolution are also responsible for Geo evolution,  so in a reductionist sense, yeah.

Also, the fact that we as living things, are the way we are because of our geological evolution, along with our biological evolution.

There is a difference in the elements and time spans that make Geology pretty different from Biology, IMO.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 21 August 2012 10:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  4455
Joined  2007-08-31

AFAIK evolution just means change, over a certain period. Geological evolution is a normal way of talking about how the earth developed from a glowing hot sphere with a atmosphere of nearly only CO2 to what it is now.

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”