1 of 4
God as a drug: The rise of American megachurches
Posted: 22 August 2012 05:24 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4405
Joined  2010-08-15

http://scienceblog.com/56142/god-as-a-drug-the-rise-of-american-megachurches/

{...}
Wellman and co-authors Katie E. Corcoran and Kate Stockly-Meyerdirk, University of Washington graduate students in sociology and comparative religion respectively, studied 2008 data provided by the Leadership Network on 12 nationally representative American megachurches.

Corcoran will present their paper, titled “‘God is Like a Drug’: Explaining Interaction Ritual Chains in American Megachurches,” at the 107th Annual Meeting of the American Sociological Association.

... More than half of all American churchgoers now attend the largest 10 percent of churches.

Megachurch services feature a ... “multisensory mélange” of visuals and other elements to stimulate the senses, as well as small-group participation and a shared focus on the message from a charismatic pastor.

The researchers hypothesized that such rituals are successful in imparting emotional energy in the megachurch setting — “creating membership feelings and symbols charged with emotional significance, and a heightened sense of spirituality,” they wrote.

... analyzed 470 interviews and about 16,000 surveys on megachurch {...}

Many participants used the word “contagious” to describe the feeling of a megachurch service where members arrive hungry for emotional experiences and leave energized. One church member said, “(T)he Holy Spirit goes through the crowd like a football team doing the wave. …Never seen it in any other church.”

Why doesn’t that surprise me.  I’ve heard it said them old tent revivals were the best place to get them young sweeties all hot and bothered and filled with the holy spirit, so they were justa dy’n for some good old fashioned physical relief… if’n ya kno wat I mean.    cool smirk

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 23 August 2012 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  1778
Joined  2007-10-22

CC:

I am not surprised either.  Many people in modern society miss and need the community and fellowship the these megachurchs provide.  IMO, and I have probably said this here before, the disregard that we non-religious for the human need for community is our biggest weakness.  We need to remember religion is about community much more than theology. l

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 23 August 2012 10:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  817
Joined  2012-04-25
garythehuman - 23 August 2012 10:30 AM

CC:

I am not surprised either.  Many people in modern society miss and need the community and fellowship the these megachurchs provide.  IMO, and I have probably said this here before, the disregard that we non-religious for the human need for community is our biggest weakness.  We need to remember religion is about community much more than theology. l

I agree totally. All the talk about proving gods existence, Jesus as savior, and so on is pretty much beside the point.  That’s why I love movies like Oh God, with George Burns. God himself could come down and say Stop Relying On Me, and people would ignore him, because it’s like you said, all about community, sociology, psychology, not religion or god per se.

Posted: 23 August 2012 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

That’s one more reason we should promote things like Humanist Forum discussion groups.  Once they get started for discussions, they can morph into social groups, first by the group going out for coffee before or after, then for a meal, then as potlucks or parties at someone’s home, then as groups to plays, movies, etc.  Once the community is formed the members can begin to invite likeminded friends to join, and people can start coming out of the atheist and agnostic closets.

Who knows, maybe some of the groups could even buy smaller defunct churches and have Sunday CFI Discussion Services. 

There was a pseudo-megachurch near Disneyland in Orange County, Calif.  Their building was called the Glass Cathedral.  It was all glass and many stories high, very, very dramatic. They got into financial trouble, and it was recently sold to the Catholics.  Maybe some day CFI could buy some of the megachurch buildings.  LOL 

Occam

[ Edited: 23 August 2012 06:26 PM by Occam. ]
 Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 24 August 2012 01:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  4405
Joined  2010-08-15
CuthbertJ - 23 August 2012 10:53 AM
garythehuman - 23 August 2012 10:30 AM

CC:

I agree totally. All the talk about proving gods existence, Jesus as savior, and so on is pretty much beside the point.  That’s why I love movies like Oh God, with George Burns. God himself could come down and say Stop Relying On Me, and people would ignore him, because it’s like you said, all about community, sociology, psychology, not religion or god per se.

True, true,  a few years back I dated an Episcopalian minister and wound up going to her church services a few times and that sense of community and need for fellowship was the thing that made the greatest impression on me.

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 24 August 2012 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  817
Joined  2012-04-25

The sad thing though is while these religious folks are gathered in their churches, singing and dancing and testifying, and so on, as part of a so-called community, they actually think they’re feeling the love of god, feeling jesus’ love, the holy spirit etc. Mass self-deception at it’s worst.

Posted: 24 August 2012 09:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
Occam. - 23 August 2012 06:20 PM

That’s one more reason we should promote things like Humanist Forum discussion groups.  Once they get started for discussions, they can morph into social groups, first by the group going out for coffee before or after, then for a meal, then as potlucks or parties at someone’s home, then as groups to plays, movies, etc.  Once the community is formed the members can begin to invite likeminded friends to join, and people can start coming out of the atheist and agnostic closets.

Who knows, maybe some of the groups could even buy smaller defunct churches and have Sunday CFI Discussion Services. 

There was a pseudo-megachurch near Disneyland in Orange County, Calif.  Their building was called the Glass Cathedral.  It was all glass and many stories high, very, very dramatic. They got into financial trouble, and it was recently sold to the Catholics.  Maybe some day CFI could buy some of the megachurch buildings.  LOL 

Occam

The catholic church built a hideous megachurch on the shores of the beautiful lake in Oakland. I asked how many poor could be housed or assisted with those millions. As far as I can tell, the others living around the lake hate it. It has been nicknamed ‘The Vagina’ for its distinctive aerial view.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 24 August 2012 11:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  782
Joined  2009-07-17

Wow… Right next to childrens’ fairy land? That’s creepy…

(Assuming I’ve got it right… The Google image: https://maps.google.com/maps?client=safari&q=catholic+church+oakland+lake+merritt&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF-8&hl=en)

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 25 August 2012 01:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  3351
Joined  2011-11-04
asanta - 24 August 2012 09:05 PM
Occam. - 23 August 2012 06:20 PM

Occam

The catholic church built a hideous megachurch on the shores of the beautiful lake in Oakland. I asked how many poor could be housed or assisted with those millions. As far as I can tell, the others living around the lake hate it. It has been nicknamed ‘The Vagina’ for its distinctive aerial view.

Well, if it comes up for sale cheap, again, that could be a good one to buy.  There’s nothing wrong with vaginas.  I actually got my start coming out of one.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 25 August 2012 02:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  4582
Joined  2007-08-31

This thingy?

2891057843_4ef37164aa_m.jpg

Beautiful building. But makes no sense to build, especially as church…

Image Attachments
OaklandMegachurch.jpg
 Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 25 August 2012 09:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
GdB - 25 August 2012 02:46 AM

This thingy?

2891057843_4ef37164aa_m.jpg

Beautiful building. But makes no sense to build, especially as church…

Yep! That’s it. No, it is ugly. And a waste of money that could have been better used.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 25 August 2012 09:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
harry canyon - 24 August 2012 11:46 PM

Wow… Right next to childrens’ fairy land? That’s creepy…

(Assuming I’ve got it right… The Google image: https://maps.google.com/maps?client=safari&q=catholic+church+oakland+lake+merritt&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF-8&hl=en)

Take care,

Derek

Yep, that’s it! :(

Signature 

Posted: 25 August 2012 09:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
TimB - 25 August 2012 01:37 AM

Well, if it comes up for sale cheap, again, that could be a good one to buy.  There’s nothing wrong with vaginas.  I actually got my start coming out of one.

cool smile

Signature 

Posted: 25 August 2012 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2012-08-25

Reading about “megachurches” is a surprise for me. Here the churches are empty! Lots of the priests come from Africa.

Posted: 25 August 2012 11:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  7614
Joined  2007-03-02

Where are you from, CheepnisAroma?

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 25 August 2012 11:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2012-08-25
Mriana - 25 August 2012 11:16 AM

Where are you from, CheepnisAroma?

France

1 of 4