4 of 4
God as a drug: The rise of American megachurches
Posted: 03 September 2012 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1765
Joined  2007-10-22
CheepnisAroma - 29 August 2012 03:47 PM

These churches, Christian or not, claim they’re “spiritual” and yet they need all these show-y off-y buildings. Strange…
(That doesn’t mean these buildings aren’t nice but that’s another story.)

i think your “fundamentalist” side may be showing.  Religious oranizations most always had “show-y off-y buildings” ie.The Jerusalem Temple;  medieval cathedrals;  Buddist Temples etc.  It was the Calviniists who opposed this in Western society, for political reasons.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 03 September 2012 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Joined  2007-10-22
TimB - 30 August 2012 02:12 PM

The question is whether there is a significant number of persons to whom belonging to a church meets some need or desire that cannot otherwise be met.  And if so, are some of those persons basically non-theistic Humanists?  If that is the case, then I think Humanism should bless them with Churches.  Why should only religions provide for that need/desire.  Personally, I want as little to do as possible with churches, but that’s just me.  The Church of Non-Theistic Humanists is not for me, but it could be for others.

That is our weak point;  we tend to worship individualism rather than social organization.  IMO this may also one of the mian points of contention between small gov’t. conservatives who believe that social support comes from local community vs. liberals who bellieve the govenment should provide the basic social services at least as far as making food housing and medical care affordable.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 03 September 2012 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Total Posts:  3071
Joined  2011-11-04
garythehuman - 03 September 2012 11:48 AM
TimB - 27 August 2012 09:59 PM

The flibberty-jib-vom-the-blippetty-bop chant could make a nice doxology for the Church of Non-Theistic Humanists.

I prefer “The Church of the Later Day Athiests”  its easier to remeber. wink

Oh, good, our non-theistic religion already has different denominations.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 03 September 2012 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16
garythehuman - 03 September 2012 11:53 AM

These churches, Christian or not, claim they’re “spiritual” and yet they need all these show-y off-y buildings. Strange…

i think your “fundamentalist” side may be showing.  Religious oranizations most always had “show-y off-y buildings” ie.The Jerusalem Temple;  medieval cathedrals;  Buddist Temples etc.  It was the Calviniists who opposed this in Western society, for political reasons.

I think you missed Cheepnis’s point, Gary.  I believe he was saying that theists talk about spirituality as being separate from money or other physical opulence, yet go to great lengths to demonstrate it in their buildings.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 03 September 2012 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2012-08-25
Occam. - 03 September 2012 12:50 PM
garythehuman - 03 September 2012 11:53 AM

I think you missed Cheepnis’s point, Gary.  I believe he was saying that theists talk about spirituality as being separate from money or other physical opulence, yet go to great lengths to demonstrate it in their buildings.

Occam

Exactly my point.

Posted: 03 September 2012 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Joined  2007-10-22
TimB - 03 September 2012 12:04 PM
garythehuman - 03 September 2012 11:48 AM
TimB - 27 August 2012 09:59 PM

The flibberty-jib-vom-the-blippetty-bop chant could make a nice doxology for the Church of Non-Theistic Humanists.

I prefer “The Church of the Later Day Athiests”  its easier to remeber. wink

Oh, good, our non-theistic religion already has different denominations.

Don’t forget our largest group of congregations.  The Church of the Corner Bar.

Signature 

Gary the Human

Posted: 03 September 2012 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Joined  2007-10-22

Occam

I believe he was saying that theists talk about spirituality as being separate from money or other physical opulence, yet go to great lengths to demonstrate it in their buildings.

Some religions seperate it, some don’t,  the Protestant Revolution was very much about the RC Church’s use of indulgences to raise money to pay for the physical opulamce.  IMO, one of the reasons for the Calvinist emphasis on “plain worship houses was a reaction to the percieved waste of capital needed for capitalist expansion this entailed.  The RC and many other religions gave spiritual rewards for monetary donations.  Cultural differences do exisit among the “spiritual” as much as any of the rest of us and even we non-believers can still be influenced by these schools of thought. 

Think about no physical opulance in religion; no Sistine Chapel etc.

Signature 

Gary the Human

Posted: 03 September 2012 04:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Total Posts:  6055
Joined  2009-02-26

IMO, churches are just very large fancy barns which give us shelter from the evil things outside… snake  vampire

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 03 September 2012 06:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

And expose us to the evil things inside?  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 04 September 2012 12:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Total Posts:  6055
Joined  2009-02-26
Occam. - 03 September 2012 06:54 PM

And expose us to the evil things inside?  LOL

Occam

Yes, but when we die “in church” we are directly transported to heaven. Like the pyramids, churches are gateways to the supernatural hereafter.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 04 September 2012 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

When I die I’ll just be directly transported to the mortuary which is a gateway to the crematory.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 04 September 2012 10:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Joined  2007-10-22
Occam. - 04 September 2012 10:40 AM

When I die I’ll just be directly transported to the mortuary which is a gateway to the crematory.  LOL

Occam

Unless you’re in Buffalo and the family contracts with Amigone Funeral Sevices; then your not sure. surprised

Signature 

Gary the Human

4 of 4