2 of 3
Nut job judge in Texas
Posted: 24 August 2012 10:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4576
Joined  2008-08-14

Mud slinging politics began with the creation of the major parties beginning with Washington. Antifederalist newspapers vilified him and the Federalists as attempting to create a monarchy with Washington as king. They cried “no King George” and even fomented a mob at his house, which BTW he stared down to silence it. Same thing with Jackson. They accused him of marrying a woman who wasn’t divorced calling the first lady to be a whore! He fought two duels, one with a Senator from Missouri (ironic) and almost died. Likewise Harrion and Van Buren fought each other in the most mud slinging campaign to date. Van Buren called Harrison a red neck drunk (not literarily) while Harrison labeled Van Buren a liar who couldn’t give a straight answer to any political question. Also before the War members of Congress carried pistols and knives into the chambers and started fist fights in the cloak rooms. One member off the House beat the crap out of a Senator from NY who had made an off the cuff remark about the Reps. Cousin. 

I think the hoopla today is based on the racist feelings that still exist in the US. This after all is our first minority pres ( it’s about time)
and the FOWBs are about to explode. It’s new and therefore suspect. We now need a minority woman to ascend to the highest office, who is qualified of course. Afterwards, when this is a non issue we can get back to the business at hand, namely saving the planet.

Cap’t Jack

Yeah and all the effigy burning, and threats of Civil War! 
I think the hoopla is in part based on the racism.  But I think we began to see an intractable schism forming during the Bush II Presidency. And maybe earlier with the influence from the radical evangelicals in the 80’s.
The Obama racist thing is just more fuel for the fight.  It’s a platform the New Right Wing and Tea Party can gather their base on. The hordes of ignorant idiots.
You correct me if I’m wrong. 
One more thing…I think we are seeing the death throes of conservatism in this country as we know it. The Republicans are completely asea. What is their platform nowadays?  And what future people are going to identify with it? This Tea Party crap is the last gasp of the last angry old white man generation.
What do you think?

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 24 August 2012 10:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  6134
Joined  2009-02-26
VYAZMA - 23 August 2012 10:30 AM

Oh and by the way, that relatively calm period was the most prosperous time in our history. It was when progressivism had it’s greatest chance of taking hold. Some of it did. Now the reactionaries are coming back. Hence the deplorable output from Congress and politicians.
If the economy keeps slipping, it will be a reactionary heyday. You all aint seen nothing yet.
Reactionaries are defined in my vocab as: people or the minions of these people who see that the size of the pie that has to be divied up and shared is getting smaller. Rather than work to increase the size of the pie, or reduce their own share proportionately, they oppress people to keep their portion the same.
Religion has historically been one of their main power bases with this. Religion definitely keeps the sheeple from questioning authority.

I agree totally,
IMO this period of relative calm was due to the raise in living standard of everybody. This was in great part accomplished by lowering the taxes on the poor and raising the taxes on the rich, who leave an enormous footprint on the natural environment. They should pay more taxes, they use more resources.
Every country where a majority of the population is very poor without structured government support, violence goes up, tempers flare, theft and graft goes up. The small percent who are rich feel threatened of losing their wealth, invest overseas where labor is relatively lower, and find tax loopholes which allows them to pay relatively much less of their fair share.

This is what infuriates mee. Romney claining that he pays 13% and if you include his “charitable donations (including tithings to the Mormon Church), he claims that actually he paid a lot of taxes. The Machiavellian nature of this blatant lie is almost intolerable. This is not really very Patriotic, IMO.
In this reality of unlimited financial campaign contributions corrupting the entire democratic concept, can we ever again expect a US president to be at least concerned about the lifeconditions of all the people (rich or poor), who’s rights he swears to represent and defend?

[ Edited: 24 August 2012 11:00 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 25 August 2012 01:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  3205
Joined  2011-11-04

Write4U:

“... In this reality of unlimited financial campaign contributions corrupting the entire democratic concept, can we ever again expect a US president to be at least concerned about the lifeconditions of all the people (rich or poor), who’s rights he swears to represent and defend?”

Romney’s word, and thus any oath that he takes is worth the same as a poorly drawn picture on an Etch-a-Sketch.

[ Edited: 25 August 2012 03:00 PM by TimB ]
 Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 25 August 2012 05:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  3214
Joined  2011-08-15

One more thing…I think we are seeing the death throes of conservatism in this country as we know it. The Republicans are completely asea. What is their platform nowadays?  And what future people are going to identify with it? This Tea Party crap is the last gasp of the last angry old white man generation.

I think you hit the nail on the head here Vy, most of the rep. Conservatives among my family and friends are left scratching their heads about this election. There are so may hot button issues for them to consider that they don’t know where to turn. I hate to admit it but most don’t like Obama because he’s black and many still believe he’s a Muslim. Now Romney’s apparently fanning the flames of the birther issue and the 2nd amendment has even cropped up again! I was into a small verbal exchange with a student in my night class who insisted that Obama was going to take our guns away. I asked him for proof and “I heard and they said” was his only response. In short, the conservatives don’t know where to turn; their candidate is a Mormon and his VP is a catholic (often whispered when in conversation, such as “he’s a shhhhhh catholic, oh?). The FOWBs are running scared knowing that the America they knew is turning minority and that’s essentially the reason for the voter restriction movement. We don’t want THEM running the gov’t. It looks like the GOP is imploding and my greatest fear is that what will evolve from it might be an ugly political schism that will drive us even further apart. When that happens I think I’ll be moving to Canada, pop a Moosehead and watch the action from a safe distance.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 25 August 2012 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

How I wish it were the case that conservatism is on the wane.  Between the de-funding of education, the growth of propaganda programs like Rush, and the avalanche of political advertising we are going to see in October along with disenfranchising many voters that may swing the election, we could see the loss of many of our social programs, privatization of the rest, and our Constitution either being misinterpreted by the Supreme Court or Amended to finish the job.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 25 August 2012 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  4576
Joined  2008-08-14
Occam. - 25 August 2012 01:14 PM

How I wish it were the case that conservatism is on the wane.  Between the de-funding of education, the growth of propaganda programs like Rush, and the avalanche of political advertising we are going to see in October along with disenfranchising many voters that may swing the election, we could see the loss of many of our social programs, privatization of the rest, and our Constitution either being misinterpreted by the Supreme Court or Amended to finish the job.

Occam

Yeah you’re right Occam. Even after I finished typing that above I felt I hadn’t made any clear points.
I think the reason is that most progressives, centrists and conservatives are all confused. Where’s the direction?
Who’s guiding the ship. I don’t know. I don’t even know what else to say in regards to your reply.  It’s just emotional rhetoric.
Everyone is shouting past one another.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 27 August 2012 03:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2009-02-26

Is voter suppression a form of “sedition”?

IMO it is.

Anytime a group of people try to deprive qualified (previously registered) people of their constitutional right to vote and thereby sabotaging the democratic process, it should rightfully be called sedition.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 27 August 2012 05:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

IMO it is.

Anytime a group of people try to deprive qualified (previously registered) people of their constitutional right to vote and thereby sabotaging the democratic process, it should rightfully be called sedition.

It should be at best and a clear violation of the Voting rights Act of 1965 at least. Once again, and I hate to sound redundant redundant, but this is nothing new in U.S. History from the Jacksonian era to the voting rights act it’s been an uphill battle just getting universal suffrage. now the Reps. want to backtrack placing voting restrictions on you know who, or whom. I’m certain this will crop up at the convention before it’s finished. Disenfranchising the poor and lower middle class minorities who generally vote democrat may insure a victory for The Reps. Couple that with massive amounts of attack ads well funded by Grover and his friends (he stated on 60 minutes that he has a hit list of those Reps. Who bolted his tax pledge with their pictures BTW) and spun by the master Karl Rove and the the Pres.may go down in defeat. It ain’t over yet, as much as we’d like it to be and even then without control of the House not much legislation will pass. Gridlock again.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 27 August 2012 06:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
Thevillageatheist - 27 August 2012 05:37 PM

IMO it is.

It should be at best and a clear violation of the Voting rights Act of 1965 at least. Once again, and I hate to sound redundant redundant, but this is nothing new in U.S. History from the Jacksonian era to the voting rights act it’s been an uphill battle just getting universal suffrage. now the Reps. want to backtrack placing voting restrictions on you know who, or whom. I’m certain this will crop up at the convention before it’s finished. Disenfranchising the poor and lower middle class minorities who generally vote democrat may insure a victory for The Reps. Couple that with massive amounts of attack ads well funded by Grover and his friends (he stated on 60 minutes that he has a hit list of those Reps. Who bolted his tax pledge with their pictures BTW) and spun by the master Karl Rove and the the Pres.may go down in defeat. It ain’t over yet, as much as we’d like it to be and even then without control of the House not much legislation will pass. Gridlock again.

Cap’t Jack

Which is why they are trying to repeal (as unnecessary) the 1965 Voting Rights act. We are headed for a (the best term I have heard so far..) ‘shadow oligarchy’ if Rove, Koch et al, succeed.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 27 August 2012 07:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
asanta - 27 August 2012 06:44 PM
Thevillageatheist - 27 August 2012 05:37 PM

IMO it is.

Cap’t Jack

Which is why they are trying to repeal (as unnecessary) the 1965 Voting Rights act. We are headed for a (the best term I have heard so far..) ‘shadow oligarchy’ if Rove, Koch et al, succeed.

WWJD:
Perhaps exclaim in anguish “My God, My God, why hast though created Karl Rove?”

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 27 August 2012 07:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Joined  2009-02-26

In Buddhism is an expression, “And still the Buddha smiles”.

p.s. The project to build an atomic bomb by the Indian government was also code named, “smiling buddha”... question

Perhaps Carl Rove is the western version of “the smiling buddha”..... gulp

[ Edited: 27 August 2012 07:59 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

W4U

Posted: 27 August 2012 09:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

smiling budda the bomb, maybe

certainly not the enlightened being, budda, with the great outlook on life

Signature 

Posted: 28 August 2012 05:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Referencing Asanta, the new oligarchy is already here and functioning led by six of the wealthiest financiers. Thanks to the Supreme Court’s decision on Citizen’s United, billions will be spent on this campaign to capture the votes of the deluded middle and lower classes and few seem to be paying attention or don’t understand. Also, unions have been made ineffective by successfully blaming them as “adding” to the crises with binding contracts. I hate to sound like chicken little here but the shadow government is destroying democracy by controlling our reps. With promises of lobby money to stay in power. Or am I preaching to the choir?

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2010/12/how-oligarchs-took-america

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 28 August 2012 05:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Total Posts:  4850
Joined  2007-10-05

I’m part of the choir.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 28 August 2012 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

As am I, however, our combined voices are easily drowned out by the billionaire loudspeakers blasting out constant lies.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

2 of 3