The American Bible Challenge
Posted: 23 August 2012 06:11 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  699
Joined  2008-10-26

How many of you watched the first production of “The American Bible Challenge”?  What did you think of it?  The production is on Cable Television and not a religious program.  None of the other listed programs are religious programs.  Here are some more questions:

1.  Is this Christian teaching and proselytization parading as a game show?
2.  Is this “show” going to become a trend on Cable - a trend to promote religion in the form of a game show?
3.  The company behind this Cable show is GSN.  What do you think their target is in this program?
4.  The money that is won on these programs goes to food kitchens.  Is there a legal problem here?
5.  Is there a problem anywhere in here which relates to the separation of church and state?
6.  Should CSI and other Humanist, Freethinker, and Atheist groups oppose the screening of like programs?
7.  Should CSI and other Humanist, Freethinker, and Atheist groups approach Cable Television for space and help to produce a similar game show (or shows) based on selected Humanist and Atheist texts?

I think there are all sorts of problems with the “American Bible Challenge” and that it behooves us to weed out the problems and confront them?  Also, and even more importantly, I think we can use this Cable TV production to our benefit - it gives us an opportunity if we are smart and careful.  However, we can also be forced into an attack mode which would not be a good thing.  Let’s see what we can do with this.

[ Edited: 23 August 2012 06:15 PM by Fat Man ]

Posted: 23 August 2012 11:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  1397
Joined  2010-04-22

Huh? There are plenty of blatantly religious shows on TV, and I don’t see any particular problem with this one. If anything, it may be good for critical thought; it depends on just how much of the Bible they cover.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 24 August 2012 04:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15368
Joined  2006-02-14
TromboneAndrew - 23 August 2012 11:46 PM

... it depends on just how much of the Bible they cover.

Well, and it also depends how objective they are about the parts they do cover. My guess is that it’s intended solely for proselytization, though.

(Re. #5: no church/state issue here, so long as it’s a private entity doing the show and not the government).

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 06 September 2012 10:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26

I just started laughing when I saw an ad for it.  Then speculated why every religion doesn’t get their own show.

Welcome, everyone, to The American Satanic Challenge!
Remember the rules: If you get a question wrong we sacrifice you instead of the goat.  If you get a question right, free infant sandwich!  It comes with au jus…...

Question 1: Did Anton LaVay actually believe in Satan?

EDIT
Added and fixed thingies.  Yes, thingies.

[ Edited: 06 September 2012 10:08 AM by Dead Monky ]
 Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron