Intellectual Laziness (4)
Posted: 23 August 2012 07:56 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2012-02-21

My video contracted under Fish Tumor! Thanks for checking it out. @shafreelcosmos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KUg4NtcEqw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Posted: 24 August 2012 06:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-02-21

Thanks for all the views so far, you guys are great.

Posted: 24 August 2012 09:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  817
Joined  2012-04-25

For those of us who can’t access youtube for one reason or another, why don’t you summarize your video for us.

Posted: 24 August 2012 04:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-02-21
CuthbertJ - 24 August 2012 09:49 AM

For those of us who can’t access youtube for one reason or another, why don’t you summarize your video for us.

yea thanks and good ideas. This video targets the topic of praying. I really challenge people who use praying as a method of problem fixing. I try to make awareness to other possibilities for why they may think prayers are answered. Most of all I demand that they demonstrate a god that answers. Most important I talk about how harmful praying is and believing it works. Im just sharing it here and I know this isn’t my target audience.

[ Edited: 27 August 2012 04:33 PM by Fish Tumor! ]

Posted: 27 August 2012 10:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  817
Joined  2012-04-25

Good ideas. I mostly agree with you that praying is harmful, though I understand why some types of people really need it (destitute, just lost a child, etc.)  It can also be very selfish. I remember hearing of one church that would print a picture from a catalog of some office equipment they needed. Then they asked everyone to pray for god to bring it to them in some way.  Lo and behold someone in the parish would donate it, or take up a collection, and there you go, God answers prayers! Just pitiful.

Posted: 27 August 2012 11:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I agree, and it’s probably also an outgrowth of the small chiild pleading with a parent for something.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 27 August 2012 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  3261
Joined  2011-08-15

Praying is a win-win situation for the believer; either you ultamately get what you want and if you don’t then god doesn’t want you to have it because (fill in the blank here but mostly because you aren’t worthy or it’s a mystery, or not at this time).  I equated prayer with the magic 8ball you shook up to find the answer; anyone will fit. BTW there’s an excellent article in the latest “FreeInquiry” concerning belief as a placebo. Prayer is wishful thinking. You might as well “wish upon a star” as Jimmeny Cricket sang. I pray that this message gets through to you unbelievers!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 27 August 2012 04:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-02-21
Thevillageatheist - 27 August 2012 12:28 PM

Praying is a win-win situation for the believer; either you ultamately get what you want and if you don’t then god doesn’t want you to have it because (fill in the blank here but mostly because you aren’t worthy or it’s a mystery, or not at this time).  I equated prayer with the magic 8ball you shook up to find the answer; anyone will fit. BTW there’s an excellent article in the latest “FreeInquiry” concerning belief as a placebo. Prayer is wishful thinking. You might as well “wish upon a star” as Jimmeny Cricket sang. I pray that this message gets through to you unbelievers!

Cap’t Jack

It is like a win-win situation and that’s so sad. If recived it’s from god and not recived then it’s not gods plan for you. But I won’t let that type of mind thinking slide by with out some skepticsim stepping in. Thanks to everyone in this room for commenting on the topic.

Posted: 27 August 2012 06:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

Yes, and think about all of those people who go to church to pray and offer donations for a very sick friend or family member. The friend or family member would be much better served if the money were used to pay a bill or two, or even making a dinner for the family. The time would be better used comforting or just visiting the friend.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 27 August 2012 07:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  6169
Joined  2009-02-26

Somewhere over the rainbow…......lives a Wizard who will make it all right.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 28 August 2012 07:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  3261
Joined  2011-08-15

Somewhere over the rainbow…......lives a Wizard who will make it all right.

If only, but until then, pay no attention to that man behind the curtain! If you peek then you’ll know it’s a sham.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine