Joined  2011-09-13

A class act if there ever was one.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/08/25/neil-armstrong-dead-at-82/

Posted: 25 August 2012 04:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1396
Joined  2010-04-22

Yes, RIP.

A good man lucky enough to be a part of valuable history.

http://www.universetoday.com/97040/neil-armstrong-first-man-on-the-moon-dies-at-82/

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 25 August 2012 05:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

Oh, my gosh. That’s very sad news. I remember hearing he was in the hospital for some operation recently.

What a legendary guy.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 25 August 2012 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  2585
Joined  2011-04-24

Sad to hear.

What a groundbreaking life he lived though.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 25 August 2012 05:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  2885
Joined  2011-08-15

Just heard about his death on CNN. They interviewed John Glenn and he did a brief tribute. What a legacy to be the first human to walk on the moon. I always wanted to meet him, but it was said that he was a bit of a recluse. My son is a big fan of the early astronauts and actually did meet one, Gene Cernan. The space pioneers are dying off.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 25 August 2012 06:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  2018
Joined  2007-04-26
Thevillageatheist - 25 August 2012 05:47 PM

I always wanted to meet him, but it was said that he was a bit of a recluse. 

Cap’t Jack

I always find it odd when they call someone a recluse simply because they don’t want to give interviews. A recluse is someone who never leaves their home, rarely shaves, has waist high grass in the front yard, and growls at the neighborhood kids if their ball lands in his yard.

Armstrong apparently had an active family and social life, He was also an ardent supporter of the space program, but to the media he was a recluse because he wouldn’t talk to THEM whenever they requested an interview. There’s a name for that but its not recluse; It’s smart.

What a sad loss for the country

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 25 August 2012 06:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2012-08-07

What a wonderful human. I thought I would post a part of Australia’s prime
minister Julia Gillard’s statement regarding his death ...

Ms Gillard said the Apollo mission was a fantastic achievement that lives on in labs and classrooms across Australia to the rover now exploring the surface of Mars.
‘‘I salute Neil Armstrong and the explorers who have followed him, and the worlds they continue to open for us. His example of service, accomplishment and modesty - his triumph of reason and science and knowledge, and wisdom - will never die.’’

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/neil-armstrong-first-man-on-the-moon-dies-at-82-20120826-24tyr.html#ixzz24bzdLUag

Posted: 25 August 2012 08:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

always find it odd when they call someone a recluse simply because they don’t want to give interviews. A recluse is someone who never leaves their home, rarely shaves, has waist high grass in the front yard, and growls at the neighborhood kids if their ball lands in his yard.

Ok, let’s say that he avoided media attention whenever possible and didn’t like giving interviews. I never figured him for a Howard Hughes type. Although I don’t blame him for not wanting to be hounded by the press and well wishers. Still would like to have met him though.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 26 August 2012 12:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  4375
Joined  2007-08-31

I fully support what I found in one of the links, a message from the family:

For those who may ask what they can do to honor Neil, we have a simple request. Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink.

In those days, I followed all the Apollo flights. Neil Armstrong was a kind of legend for me. I was only 9 years old then.

Yes, this more the end of an era than the year 2000.

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 26 August 2012 07:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  2018
Joined  2007-04-26
Thevillageatheist - 25 August 2012 08:32 PM

always find it odd when they call someone a recluse simply because they don’t want to give interviews. A recluse is someone who never leaves their home, rarely shaves, has waist high grass in the front yard, and growls at the neighborhood kids if their ball lands in his yard.

Ok, let’s say that he avoided media attention whenever possible and didn’t like giving interviews. I never figured him for a Howard Hughes type. Although I don’t blame him for not wanting to be hounded by the press and well wishers. Still would like to have met him though.

Cap’t Jack

Sorry Jack. I didnt mean to go off topic. Its just a pet peeve of mine that the media does this. Just make sure that if the local reporter ever calls to interview you that you answer all their questions or the photo in your obituary someday could look like this.  LOL

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS33Itb6oHYnotyxH8sVR8bOvIr4aQiEWrYxYpSgOKlcWwrYo35Sw&t=1

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 26 August 2012 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  5169
Joined  2010-06-16

Hey, Macgyver, where did you get my picture?  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 26 August 2012 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11

I remember sitting in front of our black and white tv waiting for the moon landing and walk. My dad made sure we saw it.  downer Now their both gone…

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 26 August 2012 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Hey, Macgyver, where did you get my picture? 

Occam

You stole my line Occam! That’s what I looked like after subbing for the kindergarten class last week! No problem, Mac any High profile figure like Armstrong is wise to avoid the media. I was once interviewed by the local press concerning a bond issue and when they printed it it sounded as if they quoted someone else! They half hear your responses and make up the rest.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 31 August 2012 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

Science channel will broadcast In the Shadow Of the Moon 8 p.m. ET Saturday tomorrow, and One Giant Leap at 10 p.m.

I wonder, were the times like, and what did you people think about the moon landing when you heard the news, and first saw the video, 1966?

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 31 August 2012 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2012-08-07

I had just turned 11. Living in Sydney the moon was high in our sky that day which is why those first pictures were received at Australia’s deep space radio dishes. The school I attended brought everyone to the assembly hall where they had set up a TV. It was exciting for me and I don’t remember anyone being around me (though of course they were) because I was so transfixed by the event.

The first images that came back where initially difficult to make out. There was a lot of noise (snow as we called it then) on the picture and as I remember the picture was also upside down at first. The image of Neil making his way down the ladder was not great quality that’s for sure. I feel sure the footage we see today has been cleaned up because I don’t remember it being as good as what we see today in replays. In the end I could understand what I was seeing and was just spellbound. Those first words were profound though they never quite made sense to me, even back then. That missing “A” makes a huge difference!

I don’t remember how much longer we stayed watching after the first step but when I walked back outside I looked up at the moon for a long time just amazed that at that moment people were actually up there. I looked hard and actually thought for a moment I might be able to see the lunar module.

It was a brilliant moment in human history. The whole (free) world felt united and proud and even though it was an American achievement we all shared in the success. For me the entire US space programme of the sixties sparked a life long fascination with space and science that has never dimmed. It is hard to grasp but it was such a different time back then. The technology was so different. Computers were unbelievably primitive and just the concept of live pictures from the moon was mind boggling. I don’t think the hand held calculator existed yet (though it wasn’t far away) and I doubt cell phones had even been thought of.

It was a time when the possibilities for tomorrow seemed boundless and nothing could stand in our way.

Cheers, Pb

Posted: 31 August 2012 05:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Science channel will broadcast In the Shadow Of the Moon 8 p.m. ET Saturday tomorrow, and One Giant Leap at 10 p.m.

I wonder, were the times like, and what did you people think about the moon landing when you heard the news, and first saw the video, 1966?

It’s another case of where were you when, like remembering looking at Sputnik in the night sky, watching Alan Shepard being shot into space on the TV, hearing that President Kennedy was shot and then the moon landing by Apollo 11. I watched them all.  BTW,Jump do you mean 1969? Yes it was exciting, from the launch to the actual landing. I was visiting my girlfriend and we watched the grainy vision of Neil Armstrong as he hopped off the ladder and took the first step. It was unbelievable and took a little while to soak in that man had actually walked on the moon. Nixon’s voice was heard as he held a brief conversation with the astronauts and we watched the action until the commentators came on to discuss the landing. I have several newspapers from that day(July 20) kept by my parents; we never threw any historical memoribilia away, pack rats to the end, and I just remember the excitement everyone felt. It was a feeling of optimism that there was nothing we couldn’t do and the war was temporarily forgotten. I can still remember every moment of the telecast and picture the living room. Hopefully that memory won’t fade. Two years later, I married my girlfriend.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

1 of 2