Buster swords and centrifugal force
Posted: 30 August 2012 09:09 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  207
Joined  2011-09-23

And again a Question which was born while i was watching game videos:

I dont know if you are familiar with the concept of the buster sword, it is just a very big and very heavy sword which is seen in the final fantasy VII series, mainly wield by Cloud Strife.
In japanese Manga and Anime you really often see similar weapons which dont look like all those tiny girls and boys could really use them, today i have seen a concept of such a big ass sword with a circular part below the hilt. So i thought about the idea and wouldnt it be possible to create such a sword with a computer controlled, circulating weight below the hilt which would make it easier to handle that thing, reduce the power which would be necessary to change directions during use.

What do you think?

Posted: 31 August 2012 10:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I believe there was a similar weapon, I’m not sure if it was a sword, which was hollow and had a quantity of mercury inside it.  When the weapon was raised the mercury flowed to the handle and when swung down, the mercury flowed forward very rapidly so when the weapon struck the victim it did so with more force.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 31 August 2012 10:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  1423
Joined  2010-04-22

I’m not sure if a weapon with contantly shifting balance would be very effective in combat.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 31 August 2012 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Let’s consider a policeman’s billyclub.  If it were made from balsa wood it wouldn’t have much effect.  If from mahogany it would be more damaging.  However, one would be able to swing the balsa much faster since it would have less inertia.  A pine club with a central tube filled with, say, a pound of mercury that would flow forward would seem to add more force or impact to the blow.

Just as a person quickly adjusts to the center of gravity of any object, even a half filled bottle of liquid, I’d guess that one would learn how to deal with the shifting balance.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 31 August 2012 02:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  1423
Joined  2010-04-22

Well, maybe such a weapon might be controllable. I don’t see how it would be better than a simple ‘morning star’ ball and chain, or a nunchaku, as a weapon that shifts center of gravity.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk