2 of 4
Clint Eastwood’s gestalt empty chair work
Posted: 01 September 2012 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4269
Joined  2010-08-15
harry canyon - 31 August 2012 10:54 AM

I haven’t watched it yet myself…

http://www.nytimes.com/video/2012/08/30/us/politics/100000001752472/clint-eastwoods-rnc-speech.html

Take care,

Derek

Oh no, the opening image said it all.

You folks have heard me rail against Hollyworld - well there it is.
Republicans rather believe entertaining fictions and celluloid heroes than think about the real world.

And it was so easy in them good ‘ol days, just needed a couple rifles and six-shooter or two and might made right.

Well the download was so bad here I not going to try to listen, I’ll have to see if I have the stomach this evening when I’m home.  Although from the reviews I doubt I’ll be able to sit through all of it.  Besides I’m already neck deep in depressing self-delusional shites, not sure I need that kind of diversion.

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 01 September 2012 11:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Joined  2010-08-15

I just read the Slate take on it
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2012/08/31/ann_romney_on_clint_eastwood_his_rnc_speech_was_unique_.html

The punchline was worth the read

The White House, meanwhile, offered this quip when asked for reaction to the speech . . .:
Referring all questions on this to Salvador Dali,” an Obama spokesman said in an email to Politico.

Signature 

Posted: 01 September 2012 06:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-08-30

If I didn’t see the entire stage with all thousands of delegates around it, I would have thought it was a skit straight out of Saturday Night Live. It was kind of funny to see Eastwood talking to an empty chair, with an invisible Obama seating on it (or did he really see Obama seating on it?). What made it more hilarious was Eastwood was trying to endorse Romney and Paul but near the end of his skit or speech, depending on which way you look at it, slammed all politicians -apparently GOPs and Dems included, saying they are just paid employees of the people. It’s like saying “Hey, you can tell them what to do coz they’re your employees after all…” Correct me if i’m wrong but I didn’t see Ryan, Gov. Christe, or any of the popular GOP figures stand up at that. Eastwood must have thought… Actually I don’t know what he’s thinking… LOL…

Posted: 01 September 2012 09:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

Funny how the usually verbose and erudite Obama could only come up with shut up and go f*ck yourself as responses to Eastwood’s ramblings.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 01 September 2012 11:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  3052
Joined  2011-11-04
asanta - 01 September 2012 09:19 PM

Funny how the usually verbose and erudite Obama could only come up with shut up and go f*ck yourself as responses to Eastwood’s ramblings.

That’s why I suggested that the “Obama” that Clint had in the chair was a projection of a part of Clint’s own psyche (and not actually Obama).

Although, Stephen Colbert had the (purportedly same) chair on his show as a guest.  Colbert was so inspired in his dialogue with the chair that he came away shouting “YES WE CAN!”.  So, who knows?  Perhaps Clint has a hearing loss, and didn’t correctly hear what the chair was saying. Also there is the phenomena that Repugs often only seem to hear what they want to hear.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 01 September 2012 11:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
TimB - 01 September 2012 11:17 PM

That’s why I suggested that the “Obama” that Clint had in the chair was a projection of a part of Clint’s own psyche (and not actually Obama).

Although, Stephen Colbert had the (purportedly same) chair on his show as a guest.  Colbert was so inspired in his dialogue with the chair that he came away shouting “YES WE CAN!”.  So, who knows?  Perhaps Clint has a hearing loss, and didn’t correctly hear what the chair was saying. Also there is the phenomena that Repugs often only seem to hear what they want to hear.

LOL

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 01 September 2012 11:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  2679
Joined  2011-04-24

I’ve always thought that Eastwood was a democrat, more or less.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 02 September 2012 02:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2010-08-15

that’s what we get for thinking

tongue wink

Signature 

Posted: 02 September 2012 05:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
mid atlantic - 01 September 2012 11:39 PM

I’ve always thought that Eastwood was a democrat, more or less.

More like a Libertarian leaning Republican. He has been a Republican for years and years and years.

Signature 

Posted: 03 September 2012 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  7572
Joined  2007-03-02

I didn’t watch the RNC nor did I watch Eastwood’s performance in full on video, but what little I saw made me wonder if he was loosing his mind, despite knowing that gig is a long time practiced scene for many of an actor (only with different lines of course).  Except “Two Mules for Sister Sarah”, I never really did get into Eastwood’s movies.  That’s the only one of his that ever caught my attention, despite various lines from other movies being repeated.  I would have missed him talking to a chair at the RNC if people weren’t making a big deal about it.  From what I saw, old man Eastwood thinks Obama is an idiot.  Maybe his thinking comes from sticking dynamite to train bridges, shooting guns, and alike too much in his movies.  Thus, I don’t know if it’s his age or the noise in all his movies causing him thinking problems or both.  As you can see, I never was a big fan of Eastwood or his movies nor do I agree with him about Obama.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 03 September 2012 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

I have been a fan of Eastwood movies, both those he starred in and those he directed.  But I don’t think I will ever, equally, enjoy any of his movies again, as his self-debasement at the 2012 GOP Convention, will, now, always come to mind.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 03 September 2012 01:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

We have to remember that the words any actor says when working aren’t his/hers, but rather those of the writer.  Similarly, much of the behavior of the actor comes from the director.  I’ve been fascinated by watching interviews of actors on the late nighe talk shows.  They range from very bright to significantly below average intelligence.  Eastwood does have charisma, but even if he was intelligent when he was younger, it’s apparent that his reasoning mind is pretty weak now.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 03 September 2012 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
Occam. - 03 September 2012 01:02 PM

We have to remember that the words any actor says when working aren’t his/hers, but rather those of the writer.  Similarly, much of the behavior of the actor comes from the director.  I’ve been fascinated by watching interviews of actors on the late nighe talk shows.  They range from very bright to significantly below average intelligence.  Eastwood does have charisma, but even if he was intelligent when he was younger, it’s apparent that his reasoning mind is pretty weak now.

Occam

I don’t know.  He has directed 9 or 10 movies in the past 10 years, and has acted in a few of them.  If his mind is going, it must be a very recent phenomenon. Either that or he has been getting a lot of help.  Intelligence doesn’t necessarily protect one from having warped opinions.

Signature 

Posted: 03 September 2012 05:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Total Posts:  1071
Joined  2007-06-20

That’s because they didn’t put Obama’s obligatory Teleprompter there for him. grin

Signature 

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation.

—James Madison

Posted: 03 September 2012 10:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Total Posts:  2679
Joined  2011-04-24

Eastwood’s speech didn’t seem to be a sign of dementia.

FWIW, he seems to be of average intelligence, and sort of a nice guy, but he leaves a lot to be desired as an actor IMO.  He has played basically the same character over and over again. Maybe some of the C.E. fans here can’t reconcile their liking for him with his performance at the RNC.

It’s only about ratings.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

2 of 4