3 of 4
Clint Eastwood’s gestalt empty chair work
Posted: 03 September 2012 11:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
Rocinante - 03 September 2012 05:23 PM
asanta - 01 September 2012 09:19 PM

Funny how the usually verbose and erudite Obama could only come up with shut up and go f*ck yourself as responses to Eastwood’s ramblings.

That’s because they didn’t put Obama’s obligatory Teleprompter there for him. grin

Which is the same teleprompter both Romneys, Ryan, McCain, and Rice used at the conference. Yes, the problem was that Eastwood went off script and didn’t use his prepared teleprompter script. Which is why he came off sounding like a demented idiot.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 04 September 2012 10:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Quoting Asanta:

Yes, the problem was that Eastwood went off script and didn’t use his prepared teleprompter script. Which is why he came off sounding like a demented idiot.

Asanta, are you implying (or am I inferring) that had the Romneys, Ryan, McCain, and Rice NOT used their prepared teleprompter scripts they would have come off sounding like demented idiots.  LOL LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 04 September 2012 12:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  3330
Joined  2011-11-04
Thevillageatheist - 31 August 2012 12:12 PM

... Man, I hope the dems. Don’t try this lame trick. We need a powerhouse speaker to open the convention; some young Kennedyesque politician speaking to the real issues.

Cap’t Jack

Maybe we will get your wish, with Julian Castro giving the keynote address, tonight.  We shall see…

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 04 September 2012 10:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
TimB - 04 September 2012 12:15 PM
Thevillageatheist - 31 August 2012 12:12 PM

... Man, I hope the dems. Don’t try this lame trick. We need a powerhouse speaker to open the convention; some young Kennedyesque politician speaking to the real issues.

Cap’t Jack

Maybe we will get your wish, with Julian Castro giving the keynote address, tonight.  We shall see…

Wow!The 1st night of the DNC has already made the RNC look like crap in comparison.  Deval Patrick, Governor of Massachusetts, burned Romney in a fiery speech, where he told how Romney’s governorship there left the state in a shambles. Julian Castro gave a historical and awesome keynote speech, and Michelle Obama gave an emotionally powerful non-partisan speech.  And those were just a few of the highlights. 

The metaphor of Eastwood’s empty chair, at the RNC, is that it exemplifies a party that is itself empty in so many ways. Their scripted soundbites were empty of substance.  Their promises to tell the “hard truths” were empty promises.  Their convention was all but devoid of talking about issues.  Their prescription for “saving” the economy was empty of anything other than the same platitudes that served to destroy our economy after two terms of a Republican President. The RNC was empty of any concern for our veterans and empty of mention of the longest war in our history.  And, likewise, the chair that Eastwood was speaking to, was, in fact, just empty. 

The vibrancy of the 1st night of the DNC put in sharp relief, the relative dearth of substance exhibited during the entire RNC.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 05 September 2012 05:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Total Posts:  1071
Joined  2007-06-20
asanta - 03 September 2012 11:14 PM
Rocinante - 03 September 2012 05:23 PM
asanta - 01 September 2012 09:19 PM

Funny how the usually verbose and erudite Obama could only come up with shut up and go f*ck yourself as responses to Eastwood’s ramblings.

That’s because they didn’t put Obama’s obligatory Teleprompter there for him. grin

Which is the same teleprompter both Romneys, Ryan, McCain, and Rice used at the conference. Yes, the problem was that Eastwood went off script and didn’t use his prepared teleprompter script.

Your attempt to commit a tu quoque logical fallacy has failed.  But that still doesn’t make you correct. 

Condoleeza Rice did NOT use a teleprompter for her speech. 

And while not at the convention, Paul Ryan still did the near impossible for Obama, when he gave a speech without a teleprompter.

As for Romey et al., they may have used one, but the joke doesn’t—and can’t work—with anyone other than Obama.  It only works with Obama because “...no other president has used one so consistently and at so many events, large and small.” [Source.]  It would be like making jokes about Bush and a blue dress.  Sure, many presidents, including Bush, have encountered women with blue dresses, but the joke only works with Clinton and the blue dress. 

Obama simply reads whatever is on his teleprompter, even if he doesn’t know a specific word, and just pronounces it phonetically.  He doesn’t give speeches, he just READS the hell out of a teleprompter.

When even The Onion pokes fun at Obama and his teleprompter [over] use, you know it is way out of hand. 

Just admit it. 

asanta - 03 September 2012 11:14 PM

Which is why he came off sounding like a demented idiot.

Stay classy!

Signature 

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation.

—James Madison

Posted: 05 September 2012 06:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

And what kind of fallacy, Rocinante, are you commiting when in order to defend Eastwood—who indeed sounded like an idiot—you bring Obama into the picture? You are obsessed. Actually, I was going to label you a bit differently, but I thought I should stay classy.

Posted: 05 September 2012 06:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2011-08-15

Ah, a Rpublican strawman tactic dreamed up by Rick Sanctorum to villify Obama! Rick hates the idea because it works. Reading speeches written by staffers is a time honored tradition and many presidents have used them. That’s really the argument here, not the machine. Previous to the Teleprompter they just read a prepared speech. Not everyone writes well and impromptu speeches can easily diverge from the topic. You also have to contain your emotions; remember Howard Dean:Yeeeeehah! And yes, even Romney uses a teleprompter. IMO even his off-the-cuff remarks sound wooden and rehearsed. It’s often not the words but the delivery that counts and even reading a speech Obama communicates well while his opponent, wellllll.

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/why-do-republicans-hate-teleprompters-so-much/

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 05 September 2012 08:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
Thevillageatheist - 05 September 2012 06:07 PM

Ah, a Rpublican strawman tactic dreamed up by Rick Sanctorum to villify Obama! Rick hates the idea because it works. Reading speeches written by staffers is a time honored tradition and many presidents have used them. That’s really the argument here, not the machine. Previous to the Teleprompter they just read a prepared speech. Not everyone writes well and impromptu speeches can easily diverge from the topic. You also have to contain your emotions; remember Howard Dean:Yeeeeehah! And yes, even Romney uses a teleprompter. IMO even his off-the-cuff remarks sound wooden and rehearsed. It’s often not the words but the delivery that counts and even reading a speech Obama communicates well while his opponent, wellllll.

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/why-do-republicans-hate-teleprompters-so-much/

Cap’t Jack

...even the normally warm appearing Ann Romney couldn’t get the wood off her smile..

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 06 September 2012 08:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Total Posts:  1071
Joined  2007-06-20
George - 05 September 2012 06:03 PM

And what kind of fallacy, Rocinante, are you commiting when in order to defend Eastwood—who indeed sounded like an idiot—you bring Obama into the picture?

Asanta is the one who brought up Obama.  I just made a joke about his constant use of the teleprompter.  Then I simply pointed out Asanta’s outright lie about Condoleezza Rice.

George - 05 September 2012 06:03 PM

You are obsessed. Actually, I was going to label you a bit differently, but I thought I should stay classy.

Keep trying.  Perhaps you’ll achieve it one day.

Signature 

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation.

—James Madison

Posted: 07 September 2012 05:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

The Dems also had a celeb that came on stage to an empty chair:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/click/2012/09/james-taylor-makes-empty-chair-joke-134741.html

Signature 

Posted: 07 September 2012 09:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2011-08-15

http://www.politico.com/blogs/click/2012/09/james-taylor-makes-empty-chair-joke-134741.html

Well done James Taylor! You can speak for us old democrat white guys any day! Thanks for the link, Tim. It speaks volumes to we aging hippies out there.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 07 September 2012 09:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Total Posts:  4400
Joined  2010-08-15
Thevillageatheist - 07 September 2012 09:13 AM

Well done James Taylor! You can speak for us old democrat white guys any day! Thanks for the link, Tim. It speaks volumes to we aging hippies out there.

Cap’t Jack

yup,
three cheers from this old white guy

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 07 September 2012 09:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Total Posts:  4108
Joined  2006-11-28

John Stewart effectively explained the chair thing by pointing out that there’s the Obama most of us see, and then there’s the real Obama visible only to conservative Republicans. HERE is the speech the real Obama actually gave, as opposed to the one most of us still vulnerable to Satanic Liberal mind control heard.

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 07 September 2012 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Total Posts:  782
Joined  2009-07-17

Maybe it was all marketing on the part of CE to get his name a boost in the media?  cool smile

I’ve always been a fan of most of his movies. I particularly liked Unforgiven, Where Eagles Dare, and Pale Rider. (He was also in Paint Your Wagon. grin

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 07 September 2012 04:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I’ve enjoyed his movies, but I WON’T be seeing his latest one.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

3 of 4