5 of 6
Words?
Posted: 15 September 2012 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3052
Joined  2011-11-04
skuld - 15 September 2012 03:29 PM

i had a teacher once tell me that cuss words are only for intellectually lazy people who can’t come up with more creative ways of expressing themselves.

Why should only the intellectually lazy people get to cuss?

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 15 September 2012 07:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

i had a teacher once tell me that cuss words are only for intellectually lazy people who can’t come up with more creative ways of expressing themselves.

I’ve had that argument thrown at me a number of times by people who haven’t learned to think clearly.  While some people can use a few words to fill in while their minds are slowly thinking of a response, such as “well”, and others use them to indicate their connection with the group, all words can have specific functions where few other words would serve adequately.  As I’ve mentioned before, “copulate” has a dictionary definition related to the four letter one, but it certainly doesn’t carry the same emotional power and meaning. 

I agree that they, like any word, can be overused and lose strength, but if held in reserve, when they are blasted out they can express stronger emotions than could be done otherwise.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 15 September 2012 08:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
Occam. - 15 September 2012 07:23 PM

I’ve had that argument thrown at me a number of times by people who haven’t learned to think clearly.  While some people can use a few words to fill in while their minds are slowly thinking of a response, such as “well”, and others use them to indicate their connection with the group, all words can have specific functions where few other words would serve adequately.  As I’ve mentioned before, “copulate” has a dictionary definition related to the four letter one, but it certainly doesn’t carry the same emotional power and meaning. 

I agree that they, like any word, can be overused and lose strength, but if held in reserve, when they are blasted out they can express stronger emotions than could be done otherwise.

Occam

You are mother copulatin’ right about that.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 16 September 2012 05:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
Total Posts:  3156
Joined  2011-08-15

Exactly, used at the proper time they can have an explosive effect in conversation, such as a political discourse demonstrating your disgust for the other party’s candidate. I use this example again as emotions are running hot at this time, and will until the final vote is cast. Even afterwards you’ll hear expletives and see fist pumping down at the bar. But it’s teeth are pulled as Occam mentioned, if overused. Vulgar words are like the pepper on eggs, it should be lightly sprinkled to flavor the conversation.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 16 September 2012 06:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
Total Posts:  7572
Joined  2007-03-02
Thevillageatheist - 16 September 2012 05:47 PM

Exactly, used at the proper time they can have an explosive effect in conversation, such as a political discourse demonstrating your disgust for the other party’s candidate. I use this example again as emotions are running hot at this time, and will until the final vote is cast. Even afterwards you’ll hear expletives and see fist pumping down at the bar. But it’s teeth are pulled as Occam mentioned, if overused. Vulgar words are like the pepper on eggs, it should be lightly sprinkled to flavor the conversation.

Cap’t Jack

Yeah?  Well, my cat’s still a pussy.  LOL

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 16 September 2012 06:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Yeah, thank you Mrs. slocum! grin

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 16 September 2012 07:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
Total Posts:  7572
Joined  2007-03-02
Thevillageatheist - 16 September 2012 06:58 PM

Yeah, thank you Mrs. slocum! grin

Cap’t Jack

You’re welcome.  I try to throw in laughs when I can.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 16 September 2012 09:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

...Vulgar words are like the pepper on eggs, it should be lightly sprinkled to flavor the conversation.

Cap’t Jack

There’s always an exception to the rule.  The movie “Scarface” would not have been the same without the word “fuck” and its derivatives being used 226 times.  Or maybe Cuban drug lords just like a lot of pepper on their eggs.

Signature 

Posted: 17 September 2012 12:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

I’m happy I didn’t see it.  I intensely dislike movies and TV shows where the characters demonstrate low intelligence.  If the screen writer is too dumb to be able to show that the people involved are rational, it’s not worth my time.

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 17 September 2012 08:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
Total Posts:  1764
Joined  2007-10-22

From the Economist:

The god question

SIR – Questions asked by pollsters define the kinds of answers given. “Are you an atheist?” is the wrong question (“Growing disbelief”, August 25th). “Atheist” has many negative connotations: irreligious, ungodly, unholy, graceless, sceptic, doubter, and so on. But ask a question about what atheists subscribe to—rationalism, logic, science and positivism—and a majority of people will admit that they adhere to such principles. Then ask an alternative question covering the prevalent aspects of most religions: “Do you subscribe to metaphysics, superstition, bigotry or dogmatism?”, and the majority will deny such practice.
Rethinking and rephrasing questions will reveal a vast moderate majority when positive attitudes prevail.
Peter Price
Flagstaff, Arizona  

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 17 September 2012 12:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

Geez, that Peter Price from Flagstaff isn’t very bright is he?  Is he really saying that a question like, “Do you subscribe to metaphysics, superstition, bigotry or dogmatism?” isn’t biased and will lead to an objective answer?  A first class klutz.  mad

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 17 September 2012 12:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]
Total Posts:  776
Joined  2009-07-17
TimB - 16 September 2012 09:21 PM

...Vulgar words are like the pepper on eggs, it should be lightly sprinkled to flavor the conversation.

Cap’t Jack

There’s always an exception to the rule.  The movie “Scarface” would not have been the same without the word “fuck” and its derivatives being used 226 times.  Or maybe Cuban drug lords just like a lot of pepper on their eggs.

My mother in law wasn’t interested in the series the Sopranos because of the ‘bad language’ (never mind the violence and sex wink) but I just couldn’t see Tony or Paulie saying: “Gee whiz, whack dat guy.”

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 17 September 2012 12:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]
Total Posts:  776
Joined  2009-07-17
Occam. - 17 September 2012 12:09 AM

I’m happy I didn’t see it.  I intensely dislike movies and TV shows where the characters demonstrate low intelligence.  If the screen writer is too dumb to be able to show that the people involved are rational, it’s not worth my time.

Occam

I don’t think (in the case of Scarface at least) it’s making the character to be of low intelligence, so much as low education. The character, Tony Montana was fairly smart IMO. At least until he became so addled by cocaine.

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 17 September 2012 12:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

Quite true, H-C, but with or without the identifying expletives “whack dat guy” demonstrates the low level of reason and rationality of the characters that causes me to quickly lose interest in that kind of story.

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 17 September 2012 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Quite true, H-C, but with or without the identifying expletives “whack dat guy” demonstrates the low level of reason and rationality of the characters that causes me to quickly lose interest in that kind of story.

Occam

I agree Occam, I have never understood why people buy into the gangster mistique. Movies like “The Godfather” and “scarface” That glorify the mafia and thug life really disgust me. It’s life destroying bullying, illicit drug use, mass killing, hedonism by knuckle dragging sociopaths whose only reason for being is to terrorize and control the “suckers”. They’re nothing but little nazis, who utilized the same tactics but on a grander scale. anyone who wants to see the effects of out of control gangsterism should study Chicago in the 20’s where the gangs used automatic weapons on themselves and innocent victims. Of course, it did lead to the creation of the FBI.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

5 of 6