Where to suggest radio show topics?
Posted: 13 December 2006 05:32 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2006-12-13

I occasionally come up with some topics I would like tackled on the show. Is this the place to give suggestions for such topics? If yes, maybe a new forum ([i:c42f036459]Suggestions for the show[/i:c42f036459], perhaps?) is a good idea?

Forgive me, but because I have not found such an ‘arena’ I will post some such topic suggestions here right away. Feel free to ignore them, or perhaps move them to a more appropriate place:

The latest question that popped up in my head was if it is possible to believe in the soul without religious arguments? Biological reductionism seems to talk against this, as far as I can tell, yet several secular or atheist people do not seem uncomfortable with the concept.

On a perhaps related note; what areas of life and/or reason among secular people has humanism (or just science in general?) identified as still affected by the religious paradigm or the paranormal? I.e what beliefs are there among "many" secular people that, upon closer inspection, have a base in old(?) religious/supernatural beliefs and have not been brought up to surface and are thus not questioned. A concrete example could perhaps be the idea of sin connected with sex (although this is clearly debated, but it wasn’t previously). Another may be the idea of a ("non-religion-based") soul as asked about above.

...and, on a related note to that; is there a humanist agenda on how to bring up these unquestioned beliefs ("if any") ?

Thanks

/Matias

Posted: 13 December 2006 05:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15395
Joined  2006-02-14

Hello Matias and welcome. I have moved your topic to the “General Discussions” folder because I think it will get more notice that way.

It may even be that DJ Grothe gets some ideas for questions on the podcast. Since PoI is mainly guest-driven, I expect that their general approach will depend on the guests that they bring each week.

Your question as to what remaining ideas among ‘secular people’ might be affected by religious or paranormal thinking is a good one. If you read around some of the posts on this site you will see that similar concerns do come up with some frequency.

As for the issue of the soul in particular, I think you’re right that this is generally a religious issue. Usually souls are thought of as the sort of thing that outlives our body, and the afterlife is usually seen as providing the reward or punishment that the religionist requires in order that justice be done. (E.g., with heaven, hell or karmic reward in future lives).

Souls are also thought of (following Descartes) as affecting the body through the brain; this sort of spooky action of souls on the body was ridiculed by philosopher Gilbert Ryle as “the ghost in the machine”. The Cartesian account of the causal efficacy of souls might be thought of as inspired by paranormal or pseudoscientific thinking.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos