1 of 2
Democratic vote to restore God, and Jerusalm as Israeli capitol to platform
Posted: 06 September 2012 01:34 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  348
Joined  2006-11-27

I was driving home, radio surfing, and caught Hannity, I think, on talk radio.  He was playing the audio of this event at the Democratic Convention.  http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/video/dnc-2012-dnc-platform-god-jerusalem-spur-contentious-17164450  I His point, or as much as I could stand to listen to, was that it revealed the godlessness of the liberal agenda.  I suppose he’s correct, but I see this in a much more positive light, of course.  I’m encouraged that the response was so questionable.

I’m a registered Democrat, but under protest.  In this state the local races are decided in the primaries and you don’t get to vote if you’re not a member of one of the two parties.  I’d much rather be an independent.  This, clearly questionable, procedure did not increase my affection for the DNC.

Signature 

If we’re not laughing, they’re winning.

Posted: 06 September 2012 12:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  4095
Joined  2006-11-28

Well I am certainly a Democrat, and not under protest. But the video certainly didn’t suggest that the opinion of the delegates mattered much (not that the way the system works the delagates can truly be said to represent the party membership anyway). I’m sure the statement on Jerusalem was what occassioned the objection there was, not the bit about God. An embarrassment to the party, IMHO.

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 06 September 2012 04:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  3193
Joined  2011-08-15

Well I am certainly a Democrat, and not under protest. But the video certainly didn’t suggest that the opinion of the delegates mattered much (not that the way the system works the delagates can truly be said to represent the party membership anyway). I’m sure the statement on Jerusalem was what occassioned the objection there was, not the bit about God. An embarrassment to the party, IMHO.

The voice vote was called for by our former Gov. Ted Strickland who BTW is an ordained methodist minister. What was so heartening was the resounding no vote from the floor, even though the ayes had it. In all honesty, I expected to hear crickets after the aye votes. This is a political hot potato and Obama doesn’t need the headache from the neo-con spin doctors about his “godlessness” or his Muslim leanings. One day the American politicians will lose their fear of the Jewish vote and let them fight it out with the Muslims, but until that day comes what choice does a moderate democrat have with so many christian constitutents who could be swayed by a religious issue? Best keep our eyes on defeating Mitt at this point and compromise with the xtians.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 07 September 2012 06:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  3176
Joined  2011-11-04
Jeciron - 06 September 2012 01:34 AM

I was driving home, radio surfing, and caught Hannity, I think, on talk radio.  He was playing the audio of this event at the Democratic Convention.  http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/video/dnc-2012-dnc-platform-god-jerusalem-spur-contentious-17164450  I His point, or as much as I could stand to listen to, was that it revealed the godlessness of the liberal agenda.  I suppose he’s correct, but I see this in a much more positive light, of course.  I’m encouraged that the response was so questionable…

The Democratic Party is leagues ahead of the Empty Chair Party, in terms of representing humanistic values.  This embarrassing circumvention of the rules, I think, exemplifies that. We were really close to having a major national party platform that was not obliged to refer to an imaginary supreme being.  Politically, however, that is untenable, and probably will be for a long time.

(As far as the actual incident, the chairperson was placed in the, unenviable position of adhering strictly to the rules, or making this embarrassing incident, a major victory for the opposing party. Instead of the perfectly choreographed display of unity and sense of direction that parties hope to display and instead of delivering the message that they needed to advertise to a national audience, there would have been hours and hours of role call votes, and debate that would have, probably, in the wee hours of the morning, resulted in the amendments being passed anyway.  But the “sausage making” would not have been a pleasant sight to most Americans. It would have been a multi-fold embarrassment. If this had been a state convention, the deliberation could likely have gone on for hours and hours over the two small amendments.)

The Democratic Party is not perfect.  The Republican Party is in many ways, diametrically opposed to humanistic values. If we let the perfect be the enemy of the good, we contribute to our own defeat.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 07 September 2012 10:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  786
Joined  2012-04-25

If this thread is refering to what I think it is, the Daily Show had a bit about it last night. It played the video of the voice call on the issue. The Yays and Nays were almost exactly equal so they did it three times. All three there was no difference. Finally the Dem holding the call declared the Yays won by 2 thirds.  BUT…here’s the kicker…the Daily Show showed us a close up of the Teleprompter. The result (2/3’s yays have it) was predetermined and already KEYED INTO THE TELEPROMPTER!

Posted: 07 September 2012 11:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
CuthbertJ - 07 September 2012 10:20 AM

If this thread is refering to what I think it is, the Daily Show had a bit about it last night. It played the video of the voice call on the issue. The Yays and Nays were almost exactly equal so they did it three times. All three there was no difference. Finally the Dem holding the call declared the Yays won by 2 thirds.  BUT…here’s the kicker…the Daily Show showed us a close up of the Teleprompter. The result (2/3’s yays have it) was predetermined and already KEYED INTO THE TELEPROMPTER!

See? There is no free will.

Posted: 07 September 2012 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  4095
Joined  2006-11-28

shock  excaim

George, what have you done???!!!!!!! Not “Free Will” again!  Nooooooooooooooooooo…..

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 07 September 2012 11:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  777
Joined  2009-07-17
George - 07 September 2012 11:09 AM

See? There is no free will.

LOL!!

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 07 September 2012 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

Did the teleprompter prompt the chairman to call for the voice vote 3 times?

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 07 September 2012 06:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
mckenzievmd - 07 September 2012 11:15 AM

shock  excaim

George, what have you done???!!!!!!! Not “Free Will” again!  Nooooooooooooooooooo…..

It appeared to me that the chairman, struggled with choosing one of two bad options, and eventually chose the one most in line with his wants and beliefs.  If so, then he acted according to his free will.  However if there was some agent (behind the scenes) that applied aversive pressure that compelled him to say that “the yays have it”, when he would otherwise have called for a role call vote, then he did not act according to his free will.  smile

Signature 

Posted: 08 September 2012 03:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2006-11-27

As I’ve stated, I bow to the reality of party politics, and generally support the candidates run by the Democratic party.  As others have stated, it is still impractical to make secularity a major political issue.  I suppose it needn’t be a political issue at all, except in response to the hyper religiosity of the conservative branch of the Republican party.  I was intrigued by the event and encouraged that such an incident occurred at all, and while I agree with the adage about sausage and politics, it was still unpleasant to observe this particularly odorous scrap being ground into the mix.

Signature 

Posted: 08 September 2012 05:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-09-07

Disappointing on several levels.  I get the need to choose battles, but at some point we need to put on our big-boy pants and take a stand.  Obviously a disconnect between the results of the process and the real intent…with intent coming out on top.

Posted: 10 September 2012 10:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  786
Joined  2012-04-25
TimB - 07 September 2012 11:33 AM

Did the teleprompter prompt the chairman to call for the voice vote 3 times?

The problem was that the chairman had the desired outcome scripted for him on the prompter but the actual voice vote was obviously different. So as to go along with the script he tried three times to get the voice vote to match the script. Finally he gave up and just read the lie outloud, ie the prompter script.

Posted: 10 September 2012 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2006-11-27

My wife pointed this out:

Poor Antonio Villaraigosa, the chairman.  Orders from God above, (Obama apparently asked for the change), and an uncompliant crowd of delegates below.  If he’d called the vote honestly he would have ignored DNC marching orders, disobeyed Obama’s command, cast the convention into disarray and risked his political career.  By calling the vote dishonestly he has shown himself to be a party hack losing the confidence and earning the scorn of common party members, risking his political career.  What a dilemma!

Someone should have remembered that old legal precept, “Never ask a question to which you don’t know the answer”.

Signature 

Posted: 10 September 2012 04:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

The platform committee screwed up because their two functions are to write something that will attract voters, and avoid giving the other side anything to attack.  Second, Ted Strickland should never be allowed entrance to any Democratic gathering again because his damned theological EGO let (to quote an old friend from Oklahoma) his alligator mouth overload his humingbird ass.  He should have presented his concern to the committee privately.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 10 September 2012 05:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

It was a screw up.  Ironically it was prompted by the Fox News crowd calling attention to the 2 missing points in the platform and making it an untenable political issue for the Dems.

Score one for Fox News.  Their every broadcast attempt to make political hay for the right wing agenda is bound to pay off occasionally.

Signature 

1 of 2