2 of 2
Democratic vote to restore God, and Jerusalm as Israeli capitol to platform
Posted: 10 September 2012 09:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  438
Joined  2009-01-28

the response of the delegates showed clearly that even people who are religious believers - as i assume many of them are - don’t think the “god” insertion was called for.  at least villaraigosa had the decency to look embarrassed.

what i don’t understand is how come nobody in the democraatic party realizes that the nonreligious are one of THE FASTEST GROWING segments of the US population, especially among people under 35.  if they want to continue to be relevnt to younger voters, it’s only a matter of time before they have to acknowledge the numbers.

Posted: 11 September 2012 04:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  345
Joined  2006-11-27

Good point, skuld. 

I seem to remember that Obama recognized the secular community in his inaugural address.  Perhaps the platform should have been amended to state the the Democratic party recognized and supported the first amendment to the Constitution.  It would have been a statement of support for the right of people to choose their own religion or philosophy and, (for the DNC), a bold statement of support for the Constitution. a response to the conservative claim that this nation was founded by and for God, (Well, actually only the Christian God), and that liberals want to discard the Constitution. 

By the way, I think calling the DNC spineless is an insult to octopi, squids, and all other respectable invertebrates.

Signature 

If we’re not laughing, they’re winning.

Posted: 11 September 2012 07:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  2779
Joined  2011-11-04
Jeciron - 11 September 2012 04:01 AM

Good point, skuld. 

I seem to remember that Obama recognized the secular community in his inaugural address.  Perhaps the platform should have been amended to state the the Democratic party recognized and supported the first amendment to the Constitution.  It would have been a statement of support for the right of people to choose their own religion or philosophy and, (for the DNC), a bold statement of support for the Constitution. a response to the conservative claim that this nation was founded by and for God, (Well, actually only the Christian God), and that liberals want to discard the Constitution. 

By the way, I think calling the DNC spineless is an insult to octopi, squids, and all other respectable invertebrates.

Pride goes before a fall.  It doesn’t make sense to fight a battle that you know you will lose, that will also lose the war. I watched a movie, the other day, “The Red Baron”.  Baron Von Richtofen, the greatest ace pilot of WWI, got 80 kills, but acknowledged that he only did so by retreating from the fights he could not win.

Signature 

“Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb… We are bound to others, past and present… And by each crime and every kindness… We birth our future.”  Sonmi, 2144.

Posted: 11 September 2012 07:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  9283
Joined  2006-08-29
Jeciron - 11 September 2012 04:01 AM

an insult to octopi

“Octopodes” or “octopuses.” Never “octopi.”  grin

Posted: 11 September 2012 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  345
Joined  2006-11-27

Believe it or not, I knew that.  I’ve a friend, a retired marine botany professor who studied them.  I’ve asked him in the past and he said that while it was wrong, the term octopi had come into such common usage that it was ok.  I should have asked a English prof.  downer

He kept a tank of octopuses in his office and when they were hungry they would squirt water at him.  They had to put covers on the big tanks because the octopuses would climb out of their tank and eat valuable specimens in nearby tanks, then return to their own.  It took them a while to figure out what was going on.  He feels that they are at least as smart as house cats, but it is very difficult to devise comparative tests for a creature who’s environment is so different from ours.

Now I have to come up with a way to bring this back on topic without reaching into the gutter and suggesting that some politicians may not be as smart as octopuses.  Oops.

Signature 

If we’re not laughing, they’re winning.

Posted: 11 September 2012 11:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  5176
Joined  2010-06-16

If two of them were mating, would it be a hexadecapus?

Occam
(and if there were two of me would we be Occami, Occames, or Occamopodes?)

(No, George, the answer is not “a catastrophe”.  LOL  )

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 11 September 2012 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  9283
Joined  2006-08-29
Occam. - 11 September 2012 11:09 AM

If two of them were mating, would it be a hexadecapus?

Occam
(and if there were two of me would we be Occami, Occames, or Occamopodes?)

(No, George, the answer is not “a catastrophe”.  LOL  )

LOL

2 of 2