Hello from the Bible Belt
Posted: 06 September 2012 03:59 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-09-06

I’m a Yankee, but I live in Tennessee, where the greeting when meeting someone new is “So, what church do you go to?”

I’m an atheist but not an angry or strident one. I don’t mind religion as long as people keep it to themselves. I just wish there were as much freedom of non-belief as there is freedom of belief in this country. I would probably lose my job if people knew of my atheism.

Despite my atheism, religion fascinates me. And I guess that makes me the perfect listener to this podcast.

Posted: 07 September 2012 07:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  908
Joined  2005-01-14

Glad to meet you, John.  Frankly whenever I run into an angry or strident atheist, I have to wonder what the heck the deal is.  What is there about an imaginary being that gets them so angry?

Posted: 07 September 2012 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  5173
Joined  2010-06-16

Welcome, C.J.  I feel much the same way as you do.  I do feel sorry for those atheists, agnostics, and humanists who live in the bible belt.  I wonder how many years it’ll take for them to move toward the ideas of the rest of the country.

Good point, Advocatus.  Why aren’t they equally angry about other mythological creatures?

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 07 September 2012 10:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  635
Joined  2012-04-25

Welcome. When I was much younger I was an angry atheist, and thought it was my job to try to convert people through confrontation.  I’ve since realized that’s futile and really unnecessary. Folks have to come to Humanism (or whatever) by themselves (though we can certainly try to influence them gently). 

You might look into Bart Ehrmans books on the Bible, Jesus, etc.  Fascinating stuff about how the books were actually written, how meanings have been subtley twisted over the centuries, and so on.  Another book from a different author is one about how the King James bible was written.  Wow, if you think religious truth had anything to do with it you’ll be surprised!

Posted: 07 September 2012 11:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2009-07-17

Welcome to the forums! Perhaps you could tell them you attend the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster?  tongue laugh

advocatus - 07 September 2012 07:02 AM

Glad to meet you, John.  Frankly whenever I run into an angry or strident atheist, I have to wonder what the heck the deal is.  What is there about an imaginary being that gets them so angry?

On the occasion where it does get my dander up, it’s not the belief in the imaginary being itself; it’s the trying to cram it down everyone else’s throats. Funny how when you start questioning someone’s religious beliefs (after they brought it up!) they tell you those are personal and private beliefs.  hmmm

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 08 September 2012 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-09-06
CuthbertJ - 07 September 2012 10:13 AM

You might look into Bart Ehrmans books on the Bible, Jesus, etc.  Fascinating stuff about how the books were actually written, how meanings have been subtley twisted over the centuries, and so on.  Another book from a different author is one about how the King James bible was written.  Wow, if you think religious truth had anything to do with it you’ll be surprised!

The book that began my journey towards the truth was “The Flight of Peter Fromm” by Martin Gardner. Anyone familiar with it? About a young Pentecostalist from Oklahoma who goes to Divinity School at the University of Chicago, and slowly has the scales lifted from his eyes. Mayhem ensues.