1 of 2
Telsa X AWD SUV
Posted: 10 September 2012 01:42 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

Tesla X car

What do you think of the Tesla X SUV, dynamic dual motor AWD, Falcon wing doors (they say better than the gull wing doors), a 17-inch video screen, they claim [24:08]Porche Carrera does 0-60mph in 4.6 seconds, and the Tesla X does it in 4.4 seconds… and, of course, its all electric.  Wow.  They want $40,000 US for the resevation, delivery is promised in 2014.

Tesla: model X

Tesla Model X official reveal

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 10 September 2012 03:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  776
Joined  2009-07-17
jump_in_the_pit - 10 September 2012 01:42 PM

What do you think of the Tesla X SUV, dynamic dual motor AWD, Falcon wing doors (they say better than the gull wing doors), a 17-inch video screen, they claim [24:08]Porche Carrera does 0-60mph in 4.6 seconds, and the Tesla X does it in 4.4 seconds… and, of course, its all electric.  Wow.  They want $40,000 US for the resevation, delivery is promised in 2014.

Tesla: model X

Tesla Model X official reveal

Looks pretty sweet to me! (I love how the front end looks like a face.  grin )

I ride past their factory in Fremont every workday. smile Tesla took over the old Nummi Toyota plant a few years back; which is up the freeway from the old Solyndra plant (with the big ole ‘For Sale’ sign on it).

Take care,

Derek

[ Edited: 10 September 2012 03:46 PM by harry canyon ]
 Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 10 September 2012 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

If I wanted to show off and could afford it, I’d rather buy a Rolls.  As it is, when the Freeway entry light lets me on, I start from zero and with all the traffic in front of me, I can get up to sixty in about five minutes, even with my weaving in and out of lanes.  Why would I care about being able to do it in 4.4 seconds?

I believe the final cost will be well above $100,000 which is insane for a car as ugly as this.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 10 September 2012 03:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2009-07-17
Occam. - 10 September 2012 03:47 PM

If I wanted to show off and could afford it, I’d rather buy a Rolls.  As it is, when the Freeway entry light lets me on, I start from zero and with all the traffic in front of me, I can get up to sixty in about five minutes, even with my weaving in and out of lanes.  Why would I care about being able to do it in 4.4 seconds?

I believe the final cost will be well above $100,000 which is insane for a car as ugly as this.

Occam

After spending a week with my father-in-law down in the LA area, I’d do the same if I lived there as well. tongue laugh Up here in the SF Bay Area we still have (so far) some freeways that aren’t clogged during off commuter hours.

I wish I could afford an electric car… My employer has multiple charging stations. So if I worked it right I wouldn’t even have to personally pay to power to the vehicle.

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 10 September 2012 04:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

I agree, Derek.  About thirty-five years ago, on my frequent trips to our Bay area lab in Berkeley, I’d leave work and drive to Palo Alto to visit my between marriages girlfriend, and even during rush hour and right by the S.F. airport, I had to restrain myself because the open traffic would have made it easy for me to go well above the speed limit.  smile

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 10 September 2012 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2009-07-17
Occam. - 10 September 2012 04:01 PM

I agree, Derek.  About thirty-five years ago, on my frequent trips to our Bay area lab in Berkeley, I’d leave work and drive to Palo Alto to visit my between marriages girlfriend, and even during rush hour and right by the S.F. airport, I had to restrain myself because the open traffic would have made it easy for me to go well above the speed limit.  smile

Occam

It might have been under construction at that time, but 280 is definitely the highway for sports cars. It’s the type of highway where if you are doing 70, you’d better stay in the slow lane. LOL

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

Posted: 10 September 2012 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  2190
Joined  2007-04-26

Even if youre not going to be going 0-60 very often the acceleration is still nice for lane changes. I guess beauty really is in the eye of the beholder. I think its a pretty hot looking car for an SUV and I’m not much of an SUV fan. Too bad its way out of my price range and most other folks too. Nice to look at.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 10 September 2012 05:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  4812
Joined  2007-10-05

I like it. If I had an extra 100 grand or so laying around I’d get one. But I’m not part of the 1% so I’ll pass.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 10 September 2012 06:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

As I was driving home from having lunch with some friends today, doing a leisurely 80 mph on the freeway, an older corvette convertible passed me as it I were standing still.  Now that’s a car.  smile

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 10 September 2012 06:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  2681
Joined  2011-04-24

It’s not too bad.

I’d probably get something else if I had that much money to burn.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 10 September 2012 07:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
Occam. - 10 September 2012 04:01 PM

Occam

About 30 years ago, my BIL was hauled off to jail for driving his ferarri down 580 at 135mph at 3:30am. I asked him how the Hwy patrol caught him (he was only a few miles from home when they stopped him), he told me he pulled over when he noticed the lights in his rear mirror. He said he was bored and tired and just wanted to get home (the fwy was completely empty). I put the lack up judgement (in stopping) to being tired.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 10 September 2012 09:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2009-07-17
asanta - 10 September 2012 07:56 PM

About 30 years ago, my BIL was hauled off to jail for driving his ferarri down 580 at 135mph at 3:30am. I asked him how the Hwy patrol caught him (he was only a few miles from home when they stopped him), he told me he pulled over when he noticed the lights in his rear mirror. He said he was bored and tired and just wanted to get home (the fwy was completely empty). I put the lack up judgement (in stopping) to being tired.

Bummer… Although this might illustrate that many (most?) folks respond to authority figures. smile

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

Posted: 25 September 2012 04:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  6055
Joined  2009-02-26

Just ran across this excellent NOVA presentation on alternative (non-polluting) fuels and parts for cars.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/tech/making-stuff.html#making-stuff-cleaner

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 25 September 2012 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

I couldn’t watch the NOVA presentation, but if it’s still an organic fluid, I get a kick out of the term, “non-polluting”.  First, almost all these alternative fuels are oxygenated organics like alchols or similar.  As soon as one adds oxygen, it’s sort of the same, energy-wise, as pre-burning.  That is, the fuel has less energy available so it will take more of it to get the same results from your car.  Second, while there may be less partially burned (polluting) compounds in the exhaust, although modern cars are quite good at minimizing that, it’s still emitting the same amount (or more) of carbon dioxide which contributes to global warming.

The only real solutions to our polultion problem are:  1. Get rid of many cars and trucks;  2. Get rid of many people;  3. Convert to solar/wind generated electricity and power the cars with that.

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 25 September 2012 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  2190
Joined  2007-04-26
Occam. - 25 September 2012 02:42 PM

I couldn’t watch the NOVA presentation, but if it’s still an organic fluid, I get a kick out of the term, “non-polluting”.  First, almost all these alternative fuels are oxygenated organics like alchols or similar.  As soon as one adds oxygen, it’s sort of the same, energy-wise, as pre-burning.  That is, the fuel has less energy available so it will take more of it to get the same results from your car.  Second, while there may be less partially burned (polluting) compounds in the exhaust, although modern cars are quite good at minimizing that, it’s still emitting the same amount (or more) of carbon dioxide which contributes to global warming.

The only real solutions to our polultion problem are:  1. Get rid of many cars and trucks;  2. Get rid of many people;  3. Convert to solar/wind generated electricity and power the cars with that.

Occam

That is mostly true Occam but isnt the idea of using organics that you are first sequestering it from the atmosphere by growing the plant and then just cycling it back in? Ideally this would result in no net addition of carbon to the atmosphere except from what i understand it takes so much fossil fuel to grow and process the biofuel that you dont end up with any net savings.

Number 1 and 2 make a lot of sense. We need to get more folks on mass transit, walking, or bicycles where possible, and population control is a never ending but necessary battle. Electric vehicles do not have to run entirely on renewable energy though to help. I dont know how to do the calculations but form what I have read you produce less CO2 per mile traveled when you use an electric car that gets its power from a coal or gas fired plant then you do when you burn fossil fuels in an internal combustion engine. Its not a solution to the problem but it helps and if it encourages more people to get into electric vehicles maybe there will be more of a market for renewable energy.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 25 September 2012 03:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

That’s true, Mac, but a good part of the energy efficiency from the organic fueled electric cars come from recovering the energy of braking rather than converting it to heat in the standard brake shoe.  It’s too bad the regular cars don’t have the same equipment so they could use some of the braking energy for the subsequent acceleration.

Occam

Signature 

1 of 2