1 of 7
Trouble in Libya,Egypt
Posted: 11 September 2012 11:02 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2709
Joined  2011-04-24

http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/11/world/meast/egpyt-us-embassy-protests/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

US Consulate in Benghazi Libya, and the embassy in Cairo Egypt were stormed by local protesters outraged over a movie.

One US citizen dead.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 12 September 2012 04:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Probably time for the U.S. to leave their colony in the Middle East.

Posted: 12 September 2012 04:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  2709
Joined  2011-04-24

The death toll has been updated.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/09/12/13824089-us-ambassador-3-others-killed-in-attacks-on-libya-mission?lite

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 12 September 2012 05:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Does anyone know what movie it is that got the Arabs so angry?

Posted: 12 September 2012 08:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  3249
Joined  2011-08-15

It was a film sponsored by that religious nut Terrry Jones in Florida. Apparently some Coptic xtians were blamed for insluting the prophet. Here we go again. Now the U.S. ambassador is dead and the incident will become a political football.

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2012/09/the-movie-so-offensive-that-egyptians-just-stormed-the-us-embassy-over-it/262225/

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 12 September 2012 08:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Yeah, I already saw a clip from it on the Spanish El País website. It has a photo of the dead ambassador as well; nothing seems to be a taboo in Europe. The “movie” looks like it was done by a mildly retarded person.

Posted: 12 September 2012 08:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

I concur if Terry Jones and his ilk had anything to do with it. Not a big fan of islam but wouldn’t waste my time burning their book to prove a point. Besides, his is religious; “your wacky belief is worse than mine”

Cap"t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 12 September 2012 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  1422
Joined  2010-04-22

According to the CNN story, the film is by Sam Bacile. The film’s name is omitted.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 12 September 2012 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  3313
Joined  2011-11-04

The trailer for the movie certainly suggests that it is a poor effort at movie making, and that, at least part of its intent is to incite a reaction from Muslims.  Still, as hideous as the movie must be, it seems far more hideous to me to consider that violence by religious fanatics may curb free speech.  IMO, Muslims should get used to or learn to ignore portrayals of their prophet that may be in the public domain.  Religious freedom does not extend to violence against persons of other beliefs.  Religious tolerance does not extend to tolerating violence by religious extremists.

That being said, we should be careful and judicious about responding to the violence, in this case.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 12 September 2012 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

Steve Klein has acknowledged a part in the making of the movie.  (The name Sam Bacile may be a pseudonym for someone else.)

Click on the link:

http://maxblumenthal.com/2012/09/meet-the-right-wing-extremist-behind-anti-muslim-film-that-sparked-deadly-riots/

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 12 September 2012 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  207
Joined  2011-09-23

No matter if the movie is offensive*, or if they just think that it is offensive, it doesn’t change the fact that they are a bunch of violent morons, with a short temper, who should apologize to the rest of the world for their destructive behavior.

Why aren’t we offended by them, their “way of life”** the fact that there are beheadings in the muslin world for crimes which are not even considered as crimes in the rest of the world?

*A movie should only be banned if it states that some one should be killed, or if it contains another call for destruction of Life and Property.
**the way of death would be more accurate.

Posted: 12 September 2012 04:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
Alexander80 - 12 September 2012 03:38 PM

No matter if the movie is offensive*, or if they just think that it is offensive, it doesn’t change the fact that they are a bunch of violent morons, with a short temper, who should apologize to the rest of the world for their destructive behavior.

Why aren’t we offended by them, their “way of life”** the fact that there are beheadings in the muslin world for crimes which are not even considered as crimes in the rest of the world?

*A movie should only be banned if it states that some one should be killed, or if it contains another call for destruction of Life and Property.
**the way of death would be more accurate.

I guess if I had to be offended by their violence I would also have to be offended by you being vulgar. But I am not. I understand the complexity of their and your behaviour.

Posted: 12 September 2012 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

Perhaps I have not reached the stage of enlightenment that George may have attained.  I believe that bad, vulgar, offensive and poorly conceived sarcasm must be tolerated (or made fun of, or ignored)...

And that physical violence in retaliation must not be tolerated.

[ Edited: 12 September 2012 05:35 PM by TimB ]
 Signature 

Posted: 12 September 2012 05:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

It now appears that this so-called anti Muslim movie was actually a set up to deliberately provoke the Muslim community to violence, and even the cast issued a statement citing passages that were changed and overdubbed. Whether here or in Lybia and Egypt, something’s hinky about the video. At this point everything about it is nebulous. The only thing that isn’t is Romney’s attempt to use it as a campaign issue.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 12 September 2012 06:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
Thevillageatheist - 12 September 2012 05:34 PM

It now appears that this so-called anti Muslim movie was actually a set up to deliberately provoke the Muslim community to violence, and even the cast issued a statement citing passages that were changed and overdubbed. Whether here or in Lybia and Egypt, something’s hinky about the video. At this point everything about it is nebulous. The only thing that isn’t is Romney’s attempt to use it as a campaign issue.

Cap’t Jack

The actors in the movie were reportedly duped and the anti-Islamic dialogue was dubbed in, post production.

If you’re looking for who was behind the movie’s initial production and promotion, I would look into 2 organizations that Klein is closely associated with:  The Church at Kaweah and the National American Coptic Assembly.

The crazy Florida pastor, Jones, only involvement was probably just encouraging it’s promotion, spreading the word on, and popularizing the video.

Protests on the embassy in Lybia were easily organized because of the spread of the movie trailer.  Then, I’m guessing, what happened is that an extremist militia called Ansar al-Sharia, took advantage of what might have, otherwise, been a non-violent demonstration, and turned it deadly.

http://warincontext.org/

Signature 

Posted: 12 September 2012 06:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
TimB - 12 September 2012 05:21 PM

Perhaps I have not reached the stage of enlightenment that George may have attained.  I believe that bad, vulgar, offensive and poorly conceived sarcasm must be tolerated (or made fun of, or ignored)...

And that physical violence in retaliation must not be tolerated.

I never said that violence should be tolerated. I also wouldn’t mind when people identify Islam as primitive or Muslims (or at least a large portion of them) as violent, but calling Muslims or Arabs “a bunch of violent morons” borders on racism. Because that’s what in my opinion racism is: hating a group of people because they may be different from us.

1 of 7