Transportation
Posted: 12 September 2012 03:21 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  207
Joined  2011-09-23

What do you think would happen to mankind (focus on society and social issues) if we would be able to create/use a new very fast way of transport, like SF-ideas of teleportation home-use-wormholes?

So if traveling would become cheaper and faster, would that have an impact on the way people see the world/other people?
What could be said about the changes in transportation which already happened in the Past (Trains, Planes)?

Posted: 12 September 2012 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  766
Joined  2012-04-25

I think it’d change things much the same way the internet is.  Makes it much harder to have an Us versus Them mindsetwhen you can learn or experience “them” first hand.  Then it would be only a matter of time (which I think it is even with just the internet) until “the masses” wisened up to the fact that the elites want to keep us divided, especially along national lines.

Posted: 12 September 2012 01:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  3069
Joined  2011-11-04
Alexander80 - 12 September 2012 03:21 AM

What do you think would happen to mankind (focus on society and social issues) if we would be able to create/use a new very fast way of transport, like SF-ideas of teleportation home-use-wormholes?

So if traveling would become cheaper and faster, would that have an impact on the way people see the world/other people?
What could be said about the changes in transportation which already happened in the Past (Trains, Planes)?

I think that the effects would be even more dramatic than the effects of the emerging social medias have been. I think that there would be a lot of havoc but, eventually, I think that the changes would be for the best.  Economically, it would be a fantastic boon.  But alas, it is just fantasy, as of now.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 12 September 2012 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

The first questions are how much energy would it use, and where would that energy come from?  If practical, efficient, and low cost two major areas I can see as being affected are a huge decrease in the need for and use of transportation fuels, and since the major problem with food availability isn’t production as much as it is distribution, quite a bit of starvation would be wiped out.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 12 September 2012 06:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  2681
Joined  2011-04-24

I’m sure a lot more sex would be had. grin

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 12 September 2012 06:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  3069
Joined  2011-11-04
mid atlantic - 12 September 2012 06:32 PM

I’m sure a lot more sex would be had. grin

Damn.  That didn’t occur to me. I must be getting old.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

‹‹ Trouble in Libya,Egypt      911 Psychology ››