2 of 3
Irish license plate system changing due to fear of number 13
Posted: 14 September 2012 09:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2886
Joined  2011-08-15

I disagree with your math.  I propose that negative 666 would be perfect goodness.  Zero would be neither good nor evil. 111 would only be 1/6th evil, but not good at all.  So 111 could be a minor minion of a really evil villain, say, perhaps a 555

Hmmmm, never thought of it that way Tim, assuming your calculations are correct, it looks as if you’ve solved the problem of evil on this Earth via a mathematical formula determining just how satan divides his forces of darkness to effect us. A 1/6th evil minnion might produce a minor earthquake in California that does little damage, save knocking an expensive lamp off a marble table and shattering it, thus pissing off the owner who responds with an audible “well, I’ll be goddamned” whereupon the big g strikes his name from the everlasting life list for uttering a blasphemy. Ah ha, so now we know how the system works. 1/6th evil indeed! Little bastard kept him out of heaven. You math guys know it all!  smile

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 14 September 2012 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  2799
Joined  2011-11-04
Thevillageatheist - 14 September 2012 09:09 AM

I disagree with your math.  I propose that negative 666 would be perfect goodness.  Zero would be neither good nor evil. 111 would only be 1/6th evil, but not good at all.  So 111 could be a minor minion of a really evil villain, say, perhaps a 555

Hmmmm, never thought of it that way Tim, assuming your calculations are correct, it looks as if you’ve solved the problem of evil on this Earth via a mathematical formula determining just how satan divides his forces of darkness to effect us. A 1/6th evil minnion might produce a minor earthquake in California that does little damage, save knocking an expensive lamp off a marble table and shattering it, thus pissing off the owner who responds with an audible “well, I’ll be goddamned” whereupon the big g strikes his name from the everlasting life list for uttering a blasphemy. Ah ha, so now we know how the system works. 1/6th evil indeed! Little bastard kept him out of heaven. You math guys know it all!  smile

Cap’t Jack

It is kind of you to refer to me as a “math guy”. You must be a negative number of goodness. (In truth, I never had any math courses beyond Algebra II, unless you count goddamned statistics).

Signature 

“Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb… We are bound to others, past and present… And by each crime and every kindness… We birth our future.”  Sonmi, 2144.

Posted: 14 September 2012 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

It is kind of you to refer to me as a “math guy”. You must be a negative number of goodness. (In truth, I never had any math courses beyond Algebra II, unless you count goddamned statistics).

That’s it Tim, you’re headin’ for the hot place for sure. I envy you though, I flunked Algebra II for the year so in my eyes you lot are freekin’ geniuses! Damn that muslim Al-Kwarismi and his invention anyway! shut eye

Cap’t jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 14 September 2012 02:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
Thevillageatheist - 14 September 2012 11:39 AM

That’s it Tim, you’re headin’ for the hot place for sure. I envy you though, I flunked Algebra II for the year so in my eyes you lot are freekin’ geniuses! Damn that muslim Al-Kwarismi and his invention anyway! shut eye

Cap’t jack

I just remembered. I did have a college Trigonometry class. It was hard. Lucky for me, I had some freekin’ genius Viet Namese classmates that helped me through it. But, also, damn that pagan astronomer Hipparchus and his invention, anyway! shut eye

Signature 

“Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb… We are bound to others, past and present… And by each crime and every kindness… We birth our future.”  Sonmi, 2144.

Posted: 14 September 2012 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Your post reminds me that I did take one sort- of math class in college, physics. It was really a “physics for dummies” class where the basketball and football players were dumped. As UK is primarily a basketball school (lots of alumni money there), most of the team took the course. The prof of course was very forgiving grade wise and played with a Vandergraff generator most of the time. He looked like Igor because once, when attempting to show how the current flowed from a metal pole through his body to light up a fluorescent lamp in his other hand he shocked himself into a heart attack and one shoulder had a permanent droop. The generator was very cool though and the boys were thoroughly entertained. We won the SEC that year I believe. I’ll never forget that physics class. Math is fun!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 15 September 2012 06:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  4376
Joined  2007-08-31
CosmicFog - 13 September 2012 03:20 AM

I find it sad that in this day and age people still have a fear of the number 13.

Well at least you have no fear for 13, the day you posted this. tongue rolleye

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 15 September 2012 08:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
GdB - 15 September 2012 06:36 AM
CosmicFog - 13 September 2012 03:20 AM

I find it sad that in this day and age people still have a fear of the number 13.

Well at least you have no fear for 13, the day you posted this. tongue rolleye

And MidAtlantic had no fear of being the 13th post in this thread…  (Oh dear, he hasn’t added to the thread since…  I hope he’s ok…)

Signature 

Posted: 15 September 2012 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

Anyway, the real culprit is the number 4.  The digits in 13 add up to 4.  As do the digits in the numbers 22, 31, 40, 49, 58, 67, etc. etc. These numbers mean death!  DEATH, I TELL YOU!  Avoid these numbers at all cost and you will never die…

Oh wait, you just read them…  sorry… never mind.

Signature 

Posted: 15 September 2012 10:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Total Posts:  1237
Joined  2011-11-04
Anyway, the real culprit is the number 4.  The digits in 13 add up to 4.  As do the digits in the numbers 22, 31, 40, 49, 58, 67, etc. etc. These numbers mean death!  DEATH, I TELL YOU!  Avoid these numbers at all cost and you will never die…

Oh crap! Now I have to fear death in four years when I turn 67! Is this the Cabala? Kind of like the 21 gun salute for the prez? The combo of numbers equals an event or code for a person? BTW, on this side of the World 4 and 7 are considered lucky, at least among the natives of the southeast. Four represents the directions and seven the number of clans. Once again, ain’t math fun?

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 15 September 2012 12:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
Thevillageatheist - 15 September 2012 10:42 AM

Total Posts:  1237
Joined  2011-11-04

Oh crap! Now I have to fear death in four years when I turn 67! Is this the Cabala? Kind of like the 21 gun salute for the prez? The combo of numbers equals an event or code for a person? BTW, on this side of the World 4 and 7 are considered lucky, at least among the natives of the southeast. Four represents the directions and seven the number of clans. Once again, ain’t math fun?

Cap’t Jack

Oh no.  4 years until you reach an age whose digits add up to 4.  A couple of more 4’s, in your life and you will probably be doomed.  I am not trying to scare you.  I am just trying to help you perceive order in an otherwise seemingly random universe. IOW, to help you become superstitious.  (Also I heard that natives of the southeast are notorious for just making stuff up.)

Signature 

Posted: 15 September 2012 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Oh no.  4 years until you reach an age whose digits add up to 4.  A couple of more 4’s, in your life and you will probably be doomed.  I am not trying to scare you.  I am just trying to help you perceive order in an otherwise seemingly random universe. IOW, to help you become superstitious.  (Also I heard that natives of the southeast are notorious for just making stuff up.)

Oh yeah Tim, well, I hope a black cat crosses your path and you break a mirror and have 7 yes SEVEN years of bad luck. So take your fours and just, well add em’ up for all I care. I happen to posess a sacred rabbit’s foot given to me by the 7th son of a 7th son so am impervious to your number spells. He sold it to me for a considerable sum plus a crystal amulet and I am now cured of arthritis. And I bet your clan used to make stuff up too Mr. Numbers person!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 15 September 2012 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
Thevillageatheist - 15 September 2012 02:02 PM

Oh yeah Tim, well, I hope a black cat crosses your path and you break a mirror and have 7 yes SEVEN years of bad luck. So take your fours and just, well add em’ up for all I care. I happen to posess a sacred rabbit’s foot given to me by the 7th son of a 7th son so am impervious to your number spells. He sold it to me for a considerable sum plus a crystal amulet and I am now cured of arthritis. And I bet your clan used to make stuff up too Mr. Numbers person!

Cap’t Jack

Perhaps we are both related to the southeast natives. smile

Signature 

Posted: 15 September 2012 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Perhaps we are both related to the southeast natives.

Yep. cheese

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 18 September 2012 06:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26
mid atlantic - 13 September 2012 06:05 PM

LOL  I’m sure you’ve had to hold back from verbally ripping her a new one.

You have no idea.  I have tried, very calmly and rationally, to explain why it’s all bunk and she got pissy and accused me of “having an attitude” and of “being disrespectful”.  If anyone’s curious, why yes, I am looking for a new job.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 18 September 2012 10:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Total Posts:  1396
Joined  2010-04-22
TimB - 13 September 2012 06:55 PM

I disagree with your math.  I propose that negative 666 would be perfect goodness.  Zero would be neither good nor evil. 111 would only be 1/6th evil, but not good at all.  So 111 could be a minor minion of a really evil villain, say, perhaps a 555.

You all are forgetting the real source of ultimate evil:

1 is 1/666 of 666. 1 is the real danger. Avoid the number 1 at all costs, that is where all the rest springs forth.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

2 of 3