Japaense River Otter Declared Extinct, The World Shudders At Its Loss
Posted: 13 September 2012 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3063
Joined  2010-04-26

Link

Since no one’s seen it in the wild in the last 30 years or so, the Japanese Ministry of the Environment has declared it extinct.  Did anyone else feel an evil wind and burst into tears?  Yeah, me neither.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 13 September 2012 10:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Aw, that’s just because you think they’re related to pandas.  smile

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 13 September 2012 10:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

Nah.  Just a less than devastating loss.  Like the loss of the 8-Track.

Signature 

Posted: 13 September 2012 10:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  2425
Joined  2007-07-05
Dead Monky - 13 September 2012 10:44 AM

Nah.  Just a less than devastating loss.  Like the loss of the 8-Track.

8-tracks never should have existed.  Those things were crap.

Too much wow and flutter, crappy frequency response and no rewind.

And tapes destroyed themselves eventually.

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 13 September 2012 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  4404
Joined  2010-08-15
Dead Monky - 13 September 2012 09:56 AM

Link

Since no one’s seen it in the wild in the last 30 years or so, the Japanese Ministry of the Environment has declared it extinct.  Did anyone else feel an evil wind and burst into tears?  Yeah, me neither.

Every species we lose is another rivet popping off the spaceship Earth.  wink

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 13 September 2012 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  2239
Joined  2007-04-26
citizenschallenge.pm - 13 September 2012 01:44 PM
Dead Monky - 13 September 2012 09:56 AM

Link

Agreed. The web of life that is our ecosystem is far too complex for us to pretend that we have anything more than a passing understanding of it. Its incredible hubris for us to think we know what species or group of animals is the linch pin that’s critical to this ecosystem or how many and which “rivets” we can lose before the ship no longer supports life or the lifestyle we have become accustomed to. Each species lost is just another example of what may be the greatest extinction event the planet has ever seen. Each loss is a sad one.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 14 September 2012 07:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  2425
Joined  2007-07-05
citizenschallenge.pm - 13 September 2012 01:44 PM

Then what was an asteroid crashing into the planet and wiping out the dinosaurs.

In the billions of years of the existence of the planet it is irrelevant.  But in terms of human beings dealing with the immediate environment it is pretty disgusting.

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 14 September 2012 08:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  3262
Joined  2011-08-15

Chalk up another species down the proverbial tube. Please post picture here:

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/animals/photos/13-animals-hunted-to-extinction/stellars-sea-cow

Once again, yet another example of man’s inability to see himself as part of the natural world and our need to protect our environment, from ourselves.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 18 September 2012 06:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

Yeah yeah, we off another one.  Boo hoo.  Billions of species have come and gone over the millennia.  We’re just freeing up space for evolution to fill in.  If the stupid otter can’t adapt to our presence, screw it.

smirk

Signature 

Posted: 18 September 2012 08:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2007-04-26

And what if we can’t adapt to IT’S absence? Screw us?

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 18 September 2012 08:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

A classic example of the butterfly effect. If that happened then he really would be a “dead monkey”!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 18 September 2012 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2010-04-26
macgyver - 18 September 2012 08:31 AM

Nah.  See, we’re better than the otters.  Smarter, more inventive, more adaptable.  We’ll do fine without it.

Signature 

Posted: 18 September 2012 09:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2012-08-27

Tragic. . hahah

Posted: 18 September 2012 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2007-04-26
Dead Monky - 18 September 2012 08:47 AM
macgyver - 18 September 2012 08:31 AM

Nah.  See, we’re better than the otters.  Smarter, more inventive, more adaptable.  We’ll do fine without it.

The point you are missing is that world will go on. It always does. But not always in the same form and the world you get may not be the world you want.  Given time and resources we can adapt to live in the harsh environment of the moon if we have to but do you really want to? The only reason to allow species to succumb to our overpopulation and over use of resources is because we are too self centered and lazy to do anything about it. Its much easier to just sit back and say “It’ll all work out”. Basically the old Scarlett philosophy “I can’t think about that right now. If I do, I’ll go crazy. I’ll think about that tomorrow. ”

[ Edited: 18 September 2012 11:29 AM by macgyver ]
 Signature 

Posted: 18 September 2012 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

The point you are missing is that world will go on. It always does. But not always in the same form and the world you get may not be the world you want.  Given time and resources we can adapt but we are primarily adapt to live in the harsh environment of the moon if we have to but do you really want to? The only reason to allow species to succumb to our overpopulation and over use of resources is because we are too self centered and lazy to do anything about it. Its much easier to just sit back and say “It’ll all work out”. Basically the old Scarlett philosophy “I can’t think about that right now. If I do, I’ll go crazy. I’ll think about that tomorrow.

I’m sure that Scarlett wasn’t aware of the harm that she caused by neglecting Tara but here’s potentially what could happen if we do:

http://news.yahoo.com/garden-neglect-humans-shape-evolution-other-species-190000178.html

Our neglect could, and has to some degree led to our own potential destruction by altering the life patterns of animals, fish and bacteria. We upset the delicate balance of nature by killing off the enemies of species that can replicate themselves much faster as they have no natural enemies, and by introducing certain plants into an environment unable to accomodate them, ex. kudzu. So, we could just sit back and watch the destruction or save what creatures we have lef or we are the only creatures on the planet. But then again, maybe we can take our act elsewhere and screw up Mars. Maybe Kudzu will grow there as well.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 20 September 2012 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2010-04-26
macgyver - 18 September 2012 10:12 AM

The point you are missing is that world will go on. It always does. But not always in the same form and the world you get may not be the world you want.  Given time and resources we can adapt to live in the harsh environment of the moon if we have to but do you really want to? The only reason to allow species to succumb to our overpopulation and over use of resources is because we are too self centered and lazy to do anything about it. Its much easier to just sit back and say “It’ll all work out”. Basically the old Scarlett philosophy “I can’t think about that right now. If I do, I’ll go crazy. I’ll think about that tomorrow. “

rolleyes  LOL  Way to state the obvious there, chief.

And I like the simplistic linkage of ongoing environmental damage to one-dimensional human failings like laziness and selfishness, instead of more complicated things like economics, social inertia, ethics, etc.  Solid, trusted move that one.  I always like it when people fall back on the oldies.  Reassures me to know that they’re working hard to keep the world in the same form.

Or something.

Signature