Gardening, yes Gardening question
Posted: 13 September 2012 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  816
Joined  2012-04-25

I have a terrarium with some small cactuses in it. Small as in smaller than the 10 inch or so clear plastic walls.  My question is, does the sunlight they need have to be direct or can it be through the clear plastic?

Posted: 13 September 2012 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Some of my grandfather’s greenhouses were plastic, as far as I can remember. I can’t imagine it makes much difference, except for the light not being as strong.

Posted: 13 September 2012 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  2229
Joined  2007-04-26

I’m pretty sure plastic and glass only absorb certain UV wavelengths but let most visible light through. I don’t know anything about cacti but most plants rely on visible light wave lengths ( except green) for photosynthesis and don’t use UV at all, so if it is filtered out by the plastic it shouldn’t matter.

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 13 September 2012 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Unless they get sunlight for most of the day you may want to supplement it with a small fluorescent gro-light (historically very popular with in-door pot growers).  They make covers with a light socket, that fit over aquaria or terraria.  (Oh, geez, George is going to attack my approach to pluralizing these.  LOL  )

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 14 September 2012 10:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  816
Joined  2012-04-25

Great info guys, thanks!

Posted: 18 September 2012 06:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  3063
Joined  2010-04-26

My gf and I have 5 or 6 cacti and through the winter we just sit them by the big window and they seem to do fine.  Hell, one of them, who we’ve named Juan, we call the Highlander Cactus because he just keeps growing and no matter what happens to him he survives and thrives.  Freaky ass super-cactus.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 18 September 2012 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2012-08-27

I think the rays can still penetrate but better if it the plant directly receives it..

Posted: 18 September 2012 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I recall, as a small child in New England, my mother carefully nurturing some geraniums through the winter she had in pots by a south facing window.  When we came to Calif, they were growing everywhere almost like weeds. smile

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.