12 of 15
Suggestions for Guests (Merged)
Posted: 23 June 2010 10:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 166 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26

and I know the chicks get old when you can’t touch them

I wouldn’t do that anyway.  Jade would hurt me.  In terrible, terrible ways.

I myself am only atheist so far as the “god of the throne” is concerned and have the feeling there is a lot beyond our ability to comprehend and I still think “absolute” atheism does more to disconnect a person from the universe and flow of time than anything else.

I’d probably qualify as one of those “pure atheists” in so far as I’m a strong atheist and a metaphysical naturalist, but I don’t think I’m disconnected.  I find the cycle of creation and destruction in the universe fascinating.  We are made of the flaming guts of stars that reached the ends of their lives and then collapsed in on themselves and exploded, sending their burning innards out into the cosmos.  Those burning stellar innards eventually coalesced into our solar system which eventually gave rise to us.  Then some day, our own star will go nova and broil our little rock into atoms only to then collapse into a white dwarf tossing its bits off into space to begin things anew.  It’s beautiful really.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 23 June 2010 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 167 ]
Total Posts:  1783
Joined  2008-08-09

I like her already.

“metaphysical naturalist”  not sure I understand what people understand by that.  But, I did like your description of stars and star dust and that pageant.

Signature 

The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus is not formed by scientists !
The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus IS formed by the data being gathered !

Posted: 23 June 2010 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 168 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

Metaphysical naturalism is the idea that nothing exists outside of nature and natural laws.  Basically, any and all supernatural, divine, magical, or paranormal ideas are crap and either misunderstood natural phenomenon or made up crap.  At least, that’s my understanding.

And yeah, the cosmic cycle is pretty awesome.  Well, until we’re all sucked into black holes which then decay into subatomic particles and the universe is left a soupy mix of random particles.  But hey, that’s not for trillions of years yet.  So we’ll be long dead.  I hope.

Signature 

Posted: 23 June 2010 01:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 169 ]
Joined  2008-08-09

Well hell DM you gave me nothing to argue at you with.
It makes sense to me and I couldn’t disagree - the wishywashy part come from within our brain and its limitations.

cheese

Signature 

The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus IS formed by the data being gathered !

Posted: 23 June 2010 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 170 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

Nothing to argue with?  Crap.  I’m slipping.  Umm….Umm….Rush Limbaugh is a great man!

Signature 

Posted: 23 June 2010 03:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 171 ]
Joined  2008-08-09

why did i know that would get under your skin

cool smirk

Signature 

Posted: 23 June 2010 06:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 172 ]
Total Posts:  4812
Joined  2007-10-05
CMooney - 23 June 2010 05:52 AM

Thanks for this thread. If I might make a comment or two…

I’ve done 9 Point of Inquiry shows so far. I only see two that are directly about climate change (Michael Mann and Bill McKibben). You might add Naomi Oreskes (though her book is about misinformation across a large array of issues, including climate) and Eli Kintisch (though geoengineering is, to me, a subject unto itself, though obviously climate related). But calling it weekly climate change shows is a bit much. And the next show is certainly not about climate change.

Also, for my views on the Templeton Cambridge fellowship, please see this long post

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/intersection/2010/06/10/science-and-religion-on-the-cam-part-ii/

thanks

chris

Fair enough Chris, you are mixing it up better than I had recognized. However, I have read your post about accepting the Templeton money, and am not convinced. I would like to hear you discuss this with someone who disagrees with you and has relevant points to counter your viewpoint. This is important, and the Templeton Foundation is working hard to make religion seem as relevant to our lives as is science, and your grant has been very controversial. Also, you have been engaging in ad hominem attacks on people you label New Atheists, with no chance of them replying to your main audience. Good journalists give both sides of a controversy equal time to express views and proffer evidence.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 23 June 2010 07:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 173 ]
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-09-03
CMooney - 23 June 2010 05:52 AM

Also, for my views on the Templeton Cambridge fellowship, please see this long post

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/intersection/2010/06/10/science-and-religion-on-the-cam-part-ii/

thanks

chris

Your interviews are very well done, you read the book before the interview and questions are spot-on.

When D.J. Grothe interviewed you, you guys seemed to realize that you had gradually mellowed from a very in-your-face atheist to “what” you are today.  I don’t fully understand the mellowing—but thanks for continuing the present the case.

Posted: 23 July 2010 02:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 174 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  66
Joined  2010-07-16

Chris Mooney should host Andrew Breitbart - on journalistic ethics. I am sure it would be an enlightening discussion.

Posted: 29 July 2010 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 175 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  158
Joined  2010-01-03

What about Jared Diamond?  He could be interviewed about the role of state governments vis-à-vis environmental policy.

Signature 

I live in a world of lighthouses. However, my friends are living in sunny tranquility.

Posted: 29 July 2010 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 176 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
Bruce Gorton - 23 July 2010 02:08 AM

Chris Mooney should host Andrew Breitbart - on journalistic ethics. I am sure it would be an enlightening discussion.

What a great joke! Journalistic ethics! I do think his definition is much different than ours!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 10 August 2010 02:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 177 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  30
Joined  2008-03-18

When it comes to the practice of confirmation bias/selective attention PoI is no better than any other gathering of like minded people.  IMO.

What would be interesting is a long range effort by the hosts to not so much interview those of opposing viewpoints but invite the best brains opposed to secular humanism to make their strongest attacks on its perceived weakest points.

Every effort to have empathy with the attacker is the best route to embrace serious challenges. IOW listen really well, eliminate straw men positions not important to their case.

I suppose I’m far from unique in having my mind changed by just such a process, self research on t’internet of course.

Dialogue need not form part of this process but could be good as well.  Some opposing views may not wish to dialogue, but in a way that would be a benefit in that they would not feel under pressure to bat a defence whilst making their attack.

And we have nothing to fear don’t we?

Posted: 25 August 2010 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 178 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-08-25

Chris,

I have to suggestions:

Brian Flemming, and the reaction/fallout and his experiences following the release of “The God Who Wasn’t There.”

Likewise, Richard Carrier, author of “Sense and Goodness Without God.”

Posted: 19 September 2010 07:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 179 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2010-07-05

I would love it if they had on Ibn Warraq (What Virgins?) or Austin Dacey or Ayaan Hirsi Ali (Nomad) on to talk about all the anti-Muslim brouhaha that’s been playing out over these past few months. The “Ground Zero Mosque”, the belief that Obama is a Muslim (and implicitly therefore sympathetic to terrorism or otherwise a priori unfit to be president), and Pastor Jones’s attempted Koran-burning, and so on. Ibn Warraq, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, and the New Atheists have been critical about the overuse of the term “Islamophobe”, yet irrational fear and hatred of Islam seems to be very high, especially or exclusively among those who think that Islam is an evil religion because (among other more tangible concerns) Muslims do not believe Jesus is the Son of God (uh, duh).

The climax of this was “International Burn the Koran Day”, which is the crux of my suggestion, because it seems that (apparently) only an atheist could formulate a plausible liberal case for burning the Koran. I don’t think it is consistent to condemn someone for threatening to burn a holy book (even if their intentions are Manichaean and bigoted) and yet praise those who criticize or satirize religion (like Salman Rushdie, the creators of South Park, the Danish cartoonists, and so on).

Posted: 20 September 2010 01:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 180 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2010-09-19

I’d love to hear an interview with Leonard Mlodinow. Coauthor of The Grand Design and A Briefer History of Time.

12 of 15