14 of 15
Suggestions for Guests (Merged)
Posted: 20 June 2011 04:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 196 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2006-05-04
neolib=plndr - 12 June 2011 11:08 AM

...listened to Philipp Blom; good suggestion.

Blom in the introduction to his book writes:

The circle of friends around Baron Holbach and his close friend and collaborator Diderot remains a kind of phantom ship in the history of philosophy to which rumors and legends have attached themselves like barnacles. Its members were part of a vast conspiracy that planned the French Revolution under the guise of debating questions of economics, some said; they were operating a factory for illegal books, which were written, revised, and disseminated by the thousands to bring down the monarchy, others believed. Most of their contemporaries agreed that Holbach and his cohorts were vile atheists who should be burned at the stake. Sometimes historical reality is more rewarding and more exciting than even legend. Baron Holbach’s salon and its principal protagonists did ferment revolutionary ideas, but it was more than a mere political revolution they were thinking about; they did write and publish subversive books, but they wanted to bring down something infinitely more vast than the monarchy or even the Catholic Church. The vision they discussed around the baron’s dinner table was one in which women and men would no longer be oppressed by the fear and ignorance instilled by religion but could instead live their lives to the full. Instead of sacrificing their desires to the vain hope of reward in the afterlife, they would be able to walk freely, to understand their place in the universe as intelligent machines of flesh and blood and pour their energies into building individual lives and communities based on their inheritance of desire, empathy, and reason. Desire, erotic and otherwise, would make their world beautiful and rich; empathy would make it kind and livable; reason would allow an understanding of the world’s immutable laws.

Blom definitely deserves an invitation to the podcast.

Signature 

Mark Plus, Advanced Atheist
"There was a time before reason and science when my ancestors believed in all manner of nonsense." Narim on Stargate SG-1.

Posted: 23 June 2011 04:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 197 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2007-04-02

Glad to hear you guys agree. By the way, I recently found a nice audio version of Holbach’s “Good Sense” on librivox: http://librivox.org/good-sense-by-baron-paul-henri-thiry-dholbach/

Posted: 27 June 2011 02:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 198 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-06-27

I would love to hear an episode illustrating the state of secularism generally throughout the globe and particularly in Australia.  There are so many aspects to dig into such as the legal systems, culture, political issues, model societies and strategies that local movements can try to emulate etc..

Cheers.

Ben.

Posted: 27 June 2011 08:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 199 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
Infozombie - 12 June 2011 07:34 AM

Here’s a .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on the topic of fanaticism, which he uses to touch upon some of the matters discussed in his book A Wicked Company.

Dude, that’s a mailto link!

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 27 June 2011 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 200 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2007-04-02

Oops! Thanks for pointing that out. It should work now.

Posted: 27 June 2011 12:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 201 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
Infozombie - 27 June 2011 11:46 AM

Oops! Thanks for pointing that out. It should work now.

It’s all good now! After listening to the video, I think I’d rather read his works than listen. Not a very dynamic speaker to say the least. But I agree with his content.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 07 July 2011 10:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 202 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  98
Joined  2011-04-11

T. Ruth - 15 November 2007 09:35 AM
narwhol - 10 September 2007 05:40 PM

God!
Interview God.

A whole pod cast of dj posing questions interspersed with absolute silence.

How about Mr. Deity?

Both great ideas.  Mr. Deity is hilarious!

Signature 

Homeopaths don’t have brains, just skull water with the memory of brains - Robin Ince of The Infinite Monkey Cage podcast
The phrase “False Prophet” is redundant.  Cleanliness is next to… nothing.
I don’t have a God-shaped hole in my soul.  You have a Reason-shaped hole in your head!

Posted: 08 July 2011 09:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 203 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-11

Brian Dalton from http://www.MrDeity.com  He’s hilarious and insightful.  If there is anyone here who hasn’t heard of him, they should.

Signature 

Homeopaths don’t have brains, just skull water with the memory of brains - Robin Ince of The Infinite Monkey Cage podcast
I don’t have a God-shaped hole in my soul.  You have a Reason-shaped hole in your head!

Posted: 27 July 2011 03:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 204 ]
Total Posts:  3050
Joined  2010-04-26

Dude, is English your first language?

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 30 July 2011 10:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 205 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2011-07-09

I would like to hear a skeptic’s analysis of polyamory/open relationships.  Perhaps POI can interview Tristian Taormino (author of Opening Up or Jenny Block (author of Open: Love, Sex, and Life in an Open Marriage)?

Signature 

http://briancrisan.wordpress.com

Posted: 02 August 2011 11:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 206 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-11

Sam Harris… it has been a while since he’s been given an opportunity here to rail against Chris Hedges… and he has good reason to do so.  smile  Also, he has a very clear way of explaining the issues involved in the accommodation / in your face debate.

Signature 

Posted: 03 August 2011 07:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 207 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-08-07
Ben Daniels - 27 June 2011 02:47 AM

I would love to hear an episode illustrating the state of secularism generally throughout the globe and particularly in Australia.  There are so many aspects to dig into such as the legal systems, culture, political issues, model societies and strategies that local movements can try to emulate etc..

Cheers.

Ben.

Agreed! I’d like to hear someone from India actually; there are freethought organizations that aim to spread secularism and debunk astrology/con men like Sai Baba etc. A link to one of these orgs: http://nirmukta.com/
But I’d be interested in a perspective from any “non-Western” country.

Posted: 04 August 2011 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 208 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-08-04

I’d love to see (hear) you guys interview Matt Dillahunty of the Atheist Community of Austin. On the last episode of the Non Prophets they had a really interesting discussion about whether, as skeptics, we should address the issue or religion or not. It was so interesting, but I’m not sure what side I come down on yet. I’d love to hear you guys ask him, or one of the other guys, some probing questions smile

Thanks (my first post!!)
-Tash

P.S. You can listen to the episode on THIS page. It’s episode 10.15

[ Edited: 04 August 2011 11:07 AM by tashage ]

Posted: 04 August 2011 01:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 209 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  266
Joined  2008-11-10

I’d like to hear pastor Greg Boyd be a guest interviewer, and have him interview Robert M. Price about Price’s article “New Testament Narrative as Old Testament Midrash.”

Posted: 12 August 2011 01:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 210 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-08-12

I would like to have Dr. Alice Roberts appear on the show. She seems really interesting and of what ive seen of her she seems to be a skeptic but would like to hear her commenting on it as well as just about her books and tv shows. For those of you who havent seen her stuff. Start with Her 2009 show The Incredible Human Journey.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1397256/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_Roberts

14 of 15