4 of 15
Suggestions for Guests (Merged)
Posted: 22 March 2007 03:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7597
Joined  2007-03-02

I was listening to Valerie Tarico, Ph. D. in Psychology on the Mark Mytho’s show.  She seems like a very wise lady about the corruption of religion.  Her book is “The Dark Side: How Evangelical Teaching Corrupt Love and Truth”.

As I was listening to one of the podcasts she was talking about the chemical reactions in the brain and a lightbulb went on in my head.  Extrenal stimili triggers neuro-chemicals in the temporal lobe and the amygdala causing transcendence.  Long story short, “Religion is the opium of the people.”  The problem is this makes it very difficult for Sam Harris’ desire for “The End of Faith” because even though the body is producing a natural opate, people get addicted to wanting to feel this every single time the church doors are open, instead of learning other ways to feel this feeling- like through nature. That and the brainwashing dogma that comes with religion generally at a vulnerable point in a person’s life.

Anyway, that is some of what I got out of what she said and I also got her book too.  I think she would be a very fascinating guest on CFI.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 26 March 2007 05:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Total Posts:  363
Joined  2006-02-23

This was posted as a topic by moreover when he intended it to be here. I moved it for him - it is his idea not mine although I’d like to say I agree this would be interesting.
Jim

By Moreover:
POI didn’t have anything on alternative medicine lately. On Dec 15, 2002 I heard a talk by the then president of the Massachusetts Humanists ( http://masshumanists.org ),  Joseph Gerstein,  MD. He presented about an addiction recovery model called “Smart Recovery” (he is on the board of that organization). It shuns the 12 step ideology and points out where it is making false assumptions and claims,  and instead uses a different approach that does not command giving yourself over to a higher power. The biggest eyeopener for me was the fact that an estimated 40 to 60 percent of alcoholics quit at some point of their lives (typically when their wife stands in the door with suitcase and children). G.W. Bush (as much as I’d like to see him in the gutter) is a prominent example.
It’s also a myth that once sober a single drop of alcohol will wipe out your recovery and land you in the throngs of addiction again. Instead the majority of former drunks learn eventually to limit themselves to one drink and leave it at that. As a psychologist by training (although I never practiced in the field) I found this approach convincing both in practical and theoretical terms.

I’m not too hopeful that it will get play on POI because its parent organization seems to favor the Teetotaller approach with its affiliate “Secular Organizations for Sobriety/Save Our Selves (SOS)”

Anyway, here’s the website for Smart Recovery and below an abstract from their website store which gives some more detail: http://smartrecovery.org

Resisting 12-Step Coercion
https://smartrecovery.c2.ixwebhosting.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=56&osCsid=73588472fe6918601128b2c65c4be1b9

By Stanton Peele, Charles Bufe and Archie Brodsky. Stanton and his colleagues respond to the overwhelming use of coercive referrals to substance abuse treatment in the United States with a primer on the legal, ethical, and clinical aspects of such treatment. The authors find that the empirical basis for claims that 12-step treatment is useful is weak at best. Moreover, a personal resolution to participate in a particular treatment is an important component in effective therapy. From here, the authors review legal and ethical issues surrounding compulsion to go to 12-step groups. A number of higher courts have made clear that government-agency or court coercion to attend 12-step groups violates the first amendment’s separation of church and state, since 12-step groups have uniformly been found to be religious in nature. A separate chapter evaluates chemical dependence treatment in terms of current standards of medical informed consent, and finds such treatment highly deficient in this regard. Finally, the authors summarize their material in a ready-to-digest form for submission to policy makers who are considering making people go to 12-step groups or related therapies. Since court challenges are a last resort, the authors instead suggest gently informing decision-makers that such policies are unwise and illegal. Effective alternatives are outlined and discussed, along with references to alternate support groups. This book is a critical aid for combat in the emerging war over treatment as a part of intrusive and punitive drug and alcohol laws, which are made to seem more palatable by the inclusion of treatment provisions, but which are actually even more coercive and repressive than simple punishment for using drugs or drinking.

Signature 

Jimmie Keyes
Tavernier, FL
http://secularhumanism.meetup.com/1/
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. (MLK Jr.)

Posted: 26 March 2007 07:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Total Posts:  363
Joined  2006-02-23

another of Moreover’s ideas for POI that I am moving for him.
Jim

By moreover:
I’d love to see David Eller featured on POI. What he brings to the discussion is the expertise of a trained anthropologist who has a knowledge of religion that in quite specific ways exceeds that of popular comparative religion scholars. Anthropologists provide the very best evidence that religions are man-made in simply pointing out the myriad ways in which people worship or express beliefs. Especially for Americans who tend to be ignorant of the world around them Eller’s description is good medecin.
I’ve sent a DVD of one of Eller’s talks for our Boulder Atheist group to POI but I guess they’re getting too much mail.
Here’s Eller’s website. Natural Atheism is also the title of his excellent book. http://naturalatheism.us

Signature 

Jimmie Keyes
Tavernier, FL
http://secularhumanism.meetup.com/1/
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. (MLK Jr.)

Posted: 26 March 2007 08:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-03-26

I’d like to hear Penn Jillette (from Penn and Teller: Bullshit) and Kenneth Miller, author of the book Finding Darwin’s God: A Scientist’s Search for Common Ground Between God and Evolution, he also participated in the trial at the Dover case against the proponents of ID.

Posted: 30 March 2007 09:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-03-30

For a discussion of the evolutionary basis of religion

Stewart Guthrie, author of ” Faces in the Clouds a New Theory of Religion”, deals very specifically with the reason for religion, which he attributes to systematic anthropomorphism. His argument is very compelling and its implications go well beyond religion, though that is the focus of the book.

Posted: 30 March 2007 10:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  241
Joined  2006-07-17

Re: For a discussion of the evolutionary basis of religion

[quote author=“jeff”]Stewart Guthrie, author of ” Faces in the Clouds: a New Theory of Religion”, deals very specifically with the reason for religion, which he attributes to systematic anthropomorphism. His argument is very compelling and its implications go well beyond religion, though that is the focus of the book.

I grow tired of all these “explanations for religion”. I can’t speak directly to this one, since I haven’t read the book, but I find most of these to be heavy on philosophy and assumptions, and light on real anthropological data.

Also, religion and superstition are two totally different things. Superstition may play into some religions, but the things that lead to “superstitions”, namely such like finding faces in the clouds, do not necessarily lead to religion.

Signature 

http://www.rationalrevolution.net

Posted: 30 March 2007 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Total Posts:  7597
Joined  2007-03-02

[quote author=“jimmiekeyes”]SPONG
Jim

Oh yes!  Jack is a MUST!  I love that man.  :D (BTW, Jack is John Shelby Spong’s nick)  I didn’t think anyone would want to hear him.  The only Bishop I know who is a non-theist.

I can’t find it now, but I thought I suggested Dr. Valerie Tarico (a psychologist) on PoI.  :?  Maybe I dreamed it suggested it.  Oh well.  I just suggested her.  :D

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 31 March 2007 02:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2006-08-22

Here are some guests i would love to hear on the show:

Ayaan Hirsi Ali: Author of Infidel .

Robert L. Park: Author of Voodoo Science: The Road from Foolishness to Fraud and creator of the website What’s New by Bob Park .

Robert T. Carroll: Author of The Skeptic’s Dictionary and creator of the website by the same name.

Phil Plait: Author of Bad Astronomy and creator of the website/blog by the same name.

Julia Sweeney: Creator of the one-woman monologue Letting Go of God .

Dan Barker: Author of Losing Faith in Faith: From Preacher to Atheist and co-president of the Freedom From Religion Foundation .

Israel Finkelstein and/or Neil A. Silberman: Authors of The Bible Unearthed: Archaeology’s New Vision of Ancient Israel and the Origin of Its Sacred Texts .

Rick A. Ross: Executive director of the Rick A. Ross Institute for the Study of Destructive Cults, Controversial Groups and Movements .

Love the show, by the way. Keep up the good work!  :D

Signature 

Inventing excuses to believe is not the same as having good reasons to believe.

Posted: 07 April 2007 05:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-03-30

faces in the clouds

jeff wrote
Stewart Guthrie, author of ” Faces in the Clouds a New Theory of Religion”, deals very specifically with the reason for religion, which he attributes to systematic anthropomorphism. His argument is very compelling and its implications go well beyond religion, though that is the focus of the book.

I grow tired of all these “explanations for religion”. I can’t speak directly to this one, since I haven’t read the book, but I find most of these to be heavy on philosophy and assumptions, and light on real anthropological data.

Also, religion and superstition are two totally different things. Superstition may play into some religions, but the things that lead to “superstitions”, namely such like finding faces in the clouds, do not necessarily lead to religion.

Well, as you say, you haven’t read this book. I can recommend it though and he does an excellent job of explaining how religion arises from systematic anthropomorphism and firmly shows it to be an evolutionary adaptation which can be seen in animals as well as humans. It is a default action of awareness that works well for survival but which applies, like it or not in other areas of activity as well.
The book is not a light read but well worth it.

Posted: 07 April 2007 06:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  148
Joined  2007-03-07

Penn & Teller! Penn & Teller! Penn & Teller!

I love them! I love their show!

They were on an episode of Babylon 5. smile

Signature 

1. God is omnipotent.
Source: Several incidents where I’ve annoyed fundamentalist Christians by challenging God’s power.
2. If God is omnipotent then he can travel faster than the speed of light.
Modus Ponens
3. Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.
Source: Einstein
Therefore, God is nothing.
QED

Posted: 12 April 2007 10:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2007-04-12

I would love to see a POI episode about Global Warming.  It’s something that seems to have had plenty of misinformation spread about it, and I would love to hear an unbiased interview about Warming by someone who knows what they are talking about.

Thanks

Posted: 15 April 2007 02:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2006-08-22

[quote author=“Sam”]Here are some guests i would love to hear on the show:
Phil Plait: Author of Bad Astronomy and creator of the website/blog by the same name.

Thank you!  :D

Signature 

Inventing excuses to believe is not the same as having good reasons to believe.

Posted: 23 April 2007 05:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2006-08-28

[quote author=“Sam”]Here are some guests i would love to hear on the show:

Ayaan Hirsi Ali: Author of Infidel .

Good call. After I listened to a recent podcast interview (with WNYC’s Leonard Lopate I think?) I thought I’d like to hear her on POI as well.  smile

Signature 

Fiction is fun, but facts are fundamental.

Posted: 28 April 2007 01:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2007-04-28

A guest I would like to see is Richard Carrier.

Posted: 12 May 2007 08:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-05-12

Suggested Interviewee

I’d like to suggest an interview with Paul Harrison, author of “Elements of Pantheism”, creator of http://www.pantheism.net, and president of the World Pantheism Movement, which currently numbers about 6000 folks worldwide.

Pantheism is a simple reverence for that god of Spinoza (and Toland), cited by Einstein and Sagan, spelled as N-a-t-u-r-e.

Tom Moore

Signature 

thosem-at-gmail.com

4 of 15