6 of 15
Suggestions for Guests (Merged)
Posted: 19 August 2007 10:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-08-19

I also vote for the Infidel Guy, as well as James Randi and Dan Barker(again, possibly?).

Posted: 24 August 2007 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  895
Joined  2007-05-09

DJ Grothe,  You’re doing a fantastic job with the show. My suggestion for a guest would be Michael Shermer. This would be wonderful, especially if the show was on the larger end of the MB download, perhaps even 20 MB (about an hour). Thanks

Posted: 25 August 2007 04:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2007-05-25

I’d like to hear him interview Dr. Robert Proctor who used to be a Prg at Penn State and is currently at Stanford. He wrote a really good book, Racial Hygiene: Medicine Under the Nazis and is currently working on Darwin in the History of Life. Do it.

Signature 

“Then every thing includes itself in power,
Power into will, will into appetite;
And appetite, a universal wolf,
So doubly seconded with will and power,
Must make perforce a universal prey,
And last eat up himself.”

Shakespeare, “Troilus and Cressida - Act I. Scene III”

Posted: 27 August 2007 08:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
Total Posts:  895
Joined  2007-05-09

Shermer was already on POI, I forgot, even had listened to the show, even looked at the list. It would still be good time to bring him back though.

Posted: 29 August 2007 03:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  252
Joined  2007-07-12

I would love to hear someone talking about the Objectivist movement.

Philosophers like Searle would be welcome.

Posted: 29 August 2007 09:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]
Total Posts:  1161
Joined  2007-07-16

william dembski and michael behe

I want to hear them being pressed to answer the question: who do you think is the intelligent desiger; do you think its the Abrahamic God?

and if they try to evade with “I dont know” I want them to be pressed to answer what they “think.” What opinion of theirs is driving them to assert such bogus theories like unintelligent design.*

I want them to expose themselves as theists with an agenda that are building up theories around their belief that Jesus died on the cross…

*Ive always thought the “intelligent design” claim was counter productive for theists to argue. If we are so complex that only an all powerful God could make us then why didnt he make us simple? Irrdeucibly complexity implies poor craftsmenship when the creator could have made something perfect and simple as opposed to imperfect and complex. Anyway, I want these frauds to hang themselves on PoI

Signature 

“Unsustainable systems can’t be sustained.” ~ Robert Jensen

Posted: 03 September 2007 06:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 82 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2007-09-01
Thomas - 11 January 2007 04:08 PM

Colin,

Great idea. You will like some of our plans for upcoming shows, we are working to get Kirk Cameron, David Nobel, and other Christian apologists on POI. And through a connection we have in Tucson, to get Andrew Weil on the show.

DJ suggested I try and get Dennett and Rick Warren to have a debate like one of Dennett’s speechs about The Purpose Driven Life, and I have slated a discussion moderated by DJ between a leading Muslim apoligist and one of our people like Taner Edis or Ibn Warraq on whether Islam is compatible with the west, or doe sit lead to violence, a quiestion like that.

All of this is in addition to future guests planned (some of these recorded) such as another appearance by Niel DeGrasse Tyson, EO WIlson, Steven Pinker, Susan Haack, Ray Hyman, Peter Singer, and others. There are almost too many interesting people to be only having one show a week!

Thomas: If you want someone to debate Rick Warren, I suggest Robert Price. His book “The Reason-Driven Life” is a direct answer to Warren’s “The Purpose-Driven Life.”  I like Dennett’s ideas, but if you get him in a debate, he’s just going keep talking about memetics rather than engaging the other person’s arguments.

Richard

Posted: 03 September 2007 06:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 83 ]
Total Posts:  7614
Joined  2007-03-02

I agree with rgill.  Bob would be good, esp since he has done most of the rebutting already.  Just as long as we don’t have to listen to Warren by himself.  rolleyes  I think I’d be sick if that were the case.  I’d far rather listen to Bob debating Warren.  I wonder if Warren has read Bob’s book?

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 10 September 2007 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 84 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2007-04-28

Personally, I’d like to see Dr. Steven Novella (host of The Skeptic’s Guide) on your podcast.

He could come on and discuss alternative medicine.

Also, I’d ROFL, if DJ referred to him as a cultural competitor!

Posted: 10 September 2007 02:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 85 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  174
Joined  2007-02-21

Novella would be excellent on Alt Med, and he certainly inst a cultural competitor since he is an ally on our side of the skeptic fence. We have some other alt med experts as well that are on the list.

Posted: 10 September 2007 03:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 86 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2007-04-28

Yes by Cultural competitor, I was kind of joking that he produces a podcast involving the same target audience!

Whereas DJ uses the term to refer to different ways of conceiving the world.

[ Edited: 10 September 2007 03:53 PM by Hayden Jones ]

Posted: 10 September 2007 05:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 87 ]
Total Posts:  672
Joined  2007-06-17

God!
Interview God.

A whole pod cast of dj posing questions interspersed with absolute silence.

Signature 

http://web.mac.com/normsherman/iWeb/Site/Podcast/833F918B-485B-42F4-B18C-4AB1436D9B87.html

Posted: 10 September 2007 08:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 88 ]
Total Posts:  7614
Joined  2007-03-02

rolleyes  That would be the most worthless 30 mins to an hour, Narwhol.  Why would he want to waste his time?

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 10 September 2007 11:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 89 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

And what if God answers, narwhol? Don’t forget there is still that little chance that he exists. What will we do then? How would we then feel superior to the believers?

Posted: 12 September 2007 07:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 90 ]
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-09-03

Mark Lilla, who had an article in the NY Times Sunday magazine Aug 19, and whose book “The Stillborn God” is reviewed in this Sunday’s paper.  The article and book deal with the “curiosity” of separation of church & state in the Modern West.

6 of 15