Hi from St. Petersburg, Florida
Posted: 15 September 2012 04:07 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  30
Joined  2012-09-15

Hi, I’m just curious if there are any free thinkers out there who are interested in Anthropology and the origins of civilization.  I don’t mind discussing modern issues, but I get the feeling that we keep repeating the mistakes of the past, and that’s why I’m interested in ancient history and prehistory.

Damon

Posted: 15 September 2012 04:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3052
Joined  2011-11-04
damoncasale - 15 September 2012 04:07 PM

Hi, I’m just curious if there are any free thinkers out there who are interested in Anthropology and the origins of civilization.  I don’t mind discussing modern issues, but I get the feeling that we keep repeating the mistakes of the past, and that’s why I’m interested in ancient history and prehistory.

Damon

I have a passing interest.  A frequent poster, named George, seems knowledgeable about the subject. And there are probably others who are interested in anthropology on this site.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 15 September 2012 04:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-09-15

Cool.  I see that there’s a meetup at the Genghis Grill in Brandon tomorrow, so I’ll try to make that, since I won’t be able to make the dinner on the 26th.  (I already have other plans.)

Damon

Posted: 15 September 2012 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15355
Joined  2006-02-14

Welcome, damoncasale. Lots of us are interested in these subjects, however they are very complex and hence difficult to get a good grasp on.

Nevertheless, please feel free to discuss as you see fit.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 15 September 2012 05:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-09-15

Of course they’re difficult to get a good grasp on.  That’s precisely why I’m interested.  :D

For the time being, I suppose I’d settle for meeting locals who don’t think in terms of black and white (e.g., in terms of one extreme or another).  People who understand that issues are complex and aren’t solved with simple 30-second sound bites, that is.

Damon

Posted: 15 September 2012 07:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  3102
Joined  2011-08-15

Hello Damon, if you are in reference to paleoanthropology, yes there a several of us here who would be happy to discuss the early development of man. there are many books on the subject and sites to visit. Dive in.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 15 September 2012 07:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-09-15

Any suggestion on which forum I should use?  It doesn’t seem to fit into any of the major groupings other than General Discussion.

Damon

Posted: 15 September 2012 07:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

You could try SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.