2 of 4
How will we look like in the future
Posted: 19 September 2012 11:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1396
Joined  2010-04-22

I think that far enough in the future everyone will essentially be ageless cyborgs, if we’re around long enough. The cyborg part will have physical aspects, like perhaps replacing organs with more effecient artificial parts, but the real difference-maker will be direct-integration computers into the brain, making the first significant increase in human cognition since the development of language.

[ Edited: 19 September 2012 11:51 AM by TromboneAndrew ]
 Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 19 September 2012 12:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  207
Joined  2011-09-23

Hm, i think that these organs wont be some sort of fully mechanical metal parts but enhanced biological parts like bones which are made of durable minerals, red blood cells which can take more oxygen, or a heart made of more efficient muscles.

As for living for 300 years? What in the world would you do in all that time?

I know a lot of things i would like to do, and if i run out of these things iam sure ill find a lot of new things to do grin
Long time research would be a nice thing, acquiring tons of knowledge, and use that knowledge to change the world for the better, build a monumental building by myself, the way i like it, see mars, make experiences in all possible jobs,...

Posted: 20 September 2012 09:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2012-08-27

Youll see everyone die in front of you…like those vampire movies..haha

Posted: 20 September 2012 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  207
Joined  2011-09-23
Jennifer Stallone - 20 September 2012 09:51 AM

Youll see everyone die in front of you…like those vampire movies..haha

Not if everyone(or a lot of people) takes the “immortality-pill”, it would be sad if i would be the only one.

Posted: 25 September 2012 08:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26

The thought of being an “ageless cyborg” horrifies me.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 25 September 2012 11:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2009-07-17
Dead Monky - 25 September 2012 08:44 AM

We are the borg.

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 25 September 2012 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2010-04-22
Dead Monky - 25 September 2012 08:44 AM

You’re watching too much Star Trek. Pop-sci-fi seems to have a fetish for making cyborgs mindless automatons, and they won’t be.

Signature 

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 25 September 2012 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  5176
Joined  2010-06-16

It sounds as if we are making progress in that direction.  Yesterday, on public radio, they interviewed some people working on progeria, the premature aging of children.  Very recently they were able to isolate a compound produced by these chiildren that caused cells to age.  Then they were also able to synthesize a chemical that inhibited that compound.  Apparently it’s made quite a difference in the boy who they’ve been treating it with.  They also found that as we normals get older, we produce increasing amounts of this compound.  So, it would seem that taking the inhibiting chemical would slow down our aging.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 25 September 2012 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2009-07-17
Occam. - 25 September 2012 02:54 PM

It sounds as if we are making progress in that direction.  Yesterday, on public radio, they interviewed some people working on progeria, the premature aging of children.  Very recently they were able to isolate a compound produced by these chiildren that caused cells to age.  Then they were also able to synthesize a chemical that inhibited that compound.  Apparently it’s made quite a difference in the boy who they’ve been treating it with.  They also found that as we normals get older, we produce increasing amounts of this compound.  So, it would seem that taking the inhibiting chemical would slow down our aging.

Occam

That’s really cool.

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 26 September 2012 04:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

Well, my other prediction is right on track.  I found the chemical they are giving the kids, went to the website of a supplier and looked up the price.  For 100 100mg tablets, it was $2,760.  At two a day, that’s $55.20 or $20,162 a year.  As I had said earlier, only the wealthy will be able to afford longevity drugs.

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 26 September 2012 08:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Joined  2009-07-17
Occam. - 26 September 2012 04:51 PM

Well, my other prediction is right on track.  I found the chemical they are giving the kids, went to the website of a supplier and looked up the price.  For 100 100mg tablets, it was $2,760.  At two a day, that’s $55.20 or $20,162 a year.  As I had said earlier, only the wealthy will be able to afford longevity drugs.

Occam

Doesn’t that pretty much echo most dystopian future predicting sci-fi? downer

Well, the ultra rich would have to preserve some of us non-rich folks. Hmm… Unless they had robots to do all the mundane stuff for them. In which case, I’ll be rooting for Skynet. wink

Take care,

Derek

[ Edited: 27 September 2012 11:53 AM by harry canyon ]
 Signature 

Posted: 26 September 2012 10:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

Nah, they don’t have to preserve any of us non-rich folks.  In fact, they’d prefer that while they may 135 years old, that we be quite young and energetic to do all the skut work they have to have taken care of and not mature enough to question them.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 27 September 2012 08:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Joined  2010-04-22
Occam. - 26 September 2012 04:51 PM

As I had said earlier, only the wealthy will be able to afford longevity drugs.

Occam

Also, it’s possible that after a certain point a large group of the population may end up rejecting a lot of these kinds of advances on moral grounds. So, you’ll get three groups: the ageless rich cyborgs, the people who want to become ageless rich cyborgs, and the people who want nothing to do with either. Technology nowadays is far out-pacing morality, so it’s possible that this divide may become significant.

Signature 

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 27 September 2012 08:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26
TromboneAndrew - 25 September 2012 01:53 PM

You’re watching too much Star Trek. Pop-sci-fi seems to have a fetish for making cyborgs mindless automatons, and they won’t be.

That’s horrifying, yes.  But it disturbs me on a more fundamental level.  The idea of replacing or augmenting our systems with artificial bits I find repellent and disturbing.  It’s viscerally repulsive to me.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 27 September 2012 02:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Total Posts:  2779
Joined  2011-11-04

This technology has kept Dick Cheney with us.  Horrifying, indeed.

Signature 

“Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb… We are bound to others, past and present… And by each crime and every kindness… We birth our future.”  Sonmi, 2144.

2 of 4