3 of 4
How will we look like in the future
Posted: 07 October 2012 01:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4349
Joined  2010-08-15
Richa Rickty - 07 October 2012 09:34 AM

How can we know what the future will look like?
To be able to understand the future, you must know the past. What has taken us to where we are today and what has changed along the way.

The world has changed a lot in the last 150 years, but we humans are driven by the same basic needs as we were 150 years ago, food, sleep, sex, the feeling of being appreciated and loved. Will this change in the next 150 years? No.

No.
But, given what we have and continue doing to our Earth’s insulating atmosphere - seems pretty certain we’ll be poached by the time another century and a half goes by.    shock

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 07 October 2012 01:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Good point, CC.  I can imagine humans morphing into some sort of underground moles living in sealed deep caverns with a few windows to let sunlight in for their oxygen producing crops.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 07 October 2012 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  3194
Joined  2011-08-15

Good point, CC.  I can imagine humans morphing into some sort of underground moles living in sealed deep caverns with a few windows to let sunlight in for their oxygen producing crops.

Occam

They’re called morlocks.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 07 October 2012 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

LOL  Yeah, but these will be vegetarians because there won’t be any meat left to eat on the surface.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 23 November 2012 06:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  123
Joined  2012-11-15

Stephan Baxter explores the question of how will we look like in the future in his book ‘Evolution’. Here’s review which includes a good overview:

http://andrewdarlington.blogspot.de/2012/02/retro-book-review-stephen-baxters.html

He foresees humans splitting into two species and only one can afford a large energy-hungry brain.

Posted: 23 November 2012 04:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Total Posts:  3182
Joined  2011-11-04

Baxter’s vision:

In 30 million years, the human gene has split into hairy-tribe people and the Chattering Folk, (hmm, still sounds like Republicans and Democrats) mutually competing against a bizarre new eco-system where elephantine-posthumans are herded by mouse-raptors, and there are blind burrowing mole-people.

Well, Occam got the mole people right.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 24 November 2012 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

Nah, as we increase computer power and speed, we’ll learn how to transfer our entire neural information and ability to a computer.  First, this will allow us quasi-immortality.  Second, other than power source failure, protection from life’s problems.  Then more and more people will transfer at younger and younger ages.  Pretty soon the entire human population will cease to exist except as conscious computers. 

Dolphins will gradually evolve to have feet again, and they’ll move back onto land.  They’ll develop their own civilization and at some point, say, “What the hell are all these computers doing using energy that we could utilize?”  Then, they’ll shut us down.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 25 November 2012 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2012-11-25
TromboneAndrew - 16 September 2012 08:53 PM
psikeyhackr - 16 September 2012 01:14 PM

The human genome project will make it more a matter of what we decide to look like.

Not only that, but I strongly suspect that for the first time on Earth (at some point) genetic evolution will be overshadowed by memetic evolution. A more interesting question might be ‘what will we think in the future.’

We will never be genetic identical then we are now. The point’s how many genetics caracthers will survive this entire time and be part of human genetics in a thousand years from today.
We are changing everyday. Focusing in the genetic of how we going to look (what i think will not be our biggest problem), everything depends of what we will use or not during the years. If we hav to take more oxygen, we’ll have a more complex respiratory system.

Is kinda simply: IF we survive all this time, our caractheristics will depend of our ambient, just like natural selection, maybe.

PS: SORRY ‘BOUT MY ENGLISH, I’M BRAZILIAN. downer

Signature 

“No creo en brujas, pero que las hay, las hay.”

Posted: 25 November 2012 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

Don’t worry about your English grammar, Nathalia.  It’s your ideas that are important.

As N. points out, we change in response to environmental stresses.  I don’t think there have been any easily observable environmental stresses in the last 1,000 years so humans don’t seem to have changed much over that period.  The problem is that we have a hard time predicting what stresses will occur, so we have a hard time predicting what changes in the human genome that are likely to occur.

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 26 November 2012 06:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Total Posts:  3194
Joined  2011-08-15

Don’t worry about your English grammar, Nathalia.  It’s your ideas that are important.

As N. points out, we change in response to environmental stresses.  I don’t think there have been any easily observable environmental stresses in the last 1,000 years so humans don’t seem to have changed much over that period.  The problem is that we have a hard time predicting what stresses will occur, so we have a hard time predicting what changes in the human genome that are likely to occur.

Actually I’m impressed by your grammar. I know only one word in Portuguese! Not exactly Occam; we do know of two stresses that a going to occur: 1. It’s going to get a hellova lot hotter within the next 25 years and 2. The Ozone layer won’t be much of a protection v. Ultraviolet rays. I predict that we’re going to get a lot darker in skin tone. And wear less clothing. And use soap flakes for snow because there won’t be any.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 26 November 2012 08:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  123
Joined  2012-11-15
Occam. - 24 November 2012 12:10 PM

Nah, as we increase computer power and speed, we’ll learn how to transfer our entire neural information and ability to a computer.  First, this will allow us quasi-immortality.  Second, other than power source failure, protection from life’s problems.  Then more and more people will transfer at younger and younger ages.  Pretty soon the entire human population will cease to exist except as conscious computers. 

Dolphins will gradually evolve to have feet again, and they’ll move back onto land.  They’ll develop their own civilization and at some point, say, “What the hell are all these computers doing using energy that we could utilize?”  Then, they’ll shut us down.  :lol:

Occam

When all our minds reside inside computers, we can leave planet Earth to the crawling dolphins. All we need is energy and some raw materials to repair faulty computer parts. Computer programs can simulate our environments. We could even ask our computer to board an interstellar starship and let it travel to habitable exoplanets while our uploaded minds enjoy the holodeck.

Posted: 26 November 2012 12:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
dansmith62 - 26 November 2012 08:45 AM
Occam. - 24 November 2012 12:10 PM

Dolphins will gradually evolve to have feet again, and they’ll move back onto land.  They’ll develop their own civilization and at some point, say, “What the hell are all these computers doing using energy that we could utilize?”  Then, they’ll shut us down.  LOL

Occam

When all our minds reside inside computers, we can leave planet Earth to the crawling dolphins. All we need is energy and some raw materials to repair faulty computer parts. Computer programs can simulate our environments. We could even ask our computer to board an interstellar starship and let it travel to habitable exoplanets while our uploaded minds enjoy the holodeck.

We can say “So Long and Thanks for All The Dolphin-Free Tuna”.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 27 November 2012 05:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-11-25
Thevillageatheist - 26 November 2012 06:34 AM

Actually I’m impressed by your grammar. I know only one word in Portuguese! Not exactly Occam; we do know of two stresses that a going to occur: 1. It’s going to get a hellova lot hotter within the next 25 years and 2. The Ozone layer won’t be much of a protection v. Ultraviolet rays. I predict that we’re going to get a lot darker in skin tone. And wear less clothing. And use soap flakes for snow because there won’t be any.

Cap’t Jack

Thank ya, guys. Well, i think the author of the topics was talking ‘bout a picutre i saw some months ago. Although i’m biology student and i hav a subject on my college that we call “human evolution” and we had to research ‘bout this things and we got some conclusions that i don’t really believe are the best ones, but we’ve tried. They are:

1. smaller eyes, to survive to the atmosphere’s polution contact, with a bigger white membrane just like “pigs”.
2.bigger nose, compartimented to filter the air better, cuz of polution too.
3. bigger lungs, with a more complex circulation inside, what will give us the possibility to take more oxygen than we can take now for a percentage of air.
4. bigger liver, better filtration.
5. thick skin to avoid the sun burns.
6. a functional appendix.
7. kidneys will have a new function: take the water from urine and keep it into the body.

I don’t know exactly, it was a discussion in class, but apparently it matched with the description of the author of the topic. I just think it’s cool to think about it but it really didn’t convinced me yet.

[ Edited: 27 November 2012 06:02 PM by Nathalia.br ]
 Signature 

Posted: 27 November 2012 07:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
Nathalia.br - 27 November 2012 05:59 PM

... we had to research ‘bout this things and we got some conclusions that i don’t really believe are the best ones, but we’ve tried. They are:

1. smaller eyes, to survive to the atmosphere’s polution contact, with a bigger white membrane just like “pigs”.
3. bigger lungs, with a more complex circulation inside, what will give us the possibility to take more oxygen than we can take now for a percentage of air.
7. kidneys will have a new function: take the water from urine and keep it into the body.

I don’t know exactly, it was a discussion in class, but apparently it matched with the description of the author of the topic. I just think it’s cool to think about it but it really didn’t convinced me yet.

I think that is a pretty reasonable list.  It seems to me that some of those genetic changes could conceivably happen, if there is a breakdown in our abilities to develop and maintain adaptive technologies that compensate for the suggested possible changes in our environment.

Signature 

Posted: 28 November 2012 12:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-11-25
TimB - 27 November 2012 07:13 PM
Nathalia.br - 27 November 2012 05:59 PM

... we had to research ‘bout this things and we got some conclusions that i don’t really believe are the best ones, but we’ve tried. They are:

I think that is a pretty reasonable list.  It seems to me that some of those genetic changes could conceivably happen, if there is a breakdown in our abilities to develop and maintain adaptive technologies that compensate for the suggested possible changes in our environment.

Agreed.

Signature 

3 of 4