Again for our readers, it should be noted that if you’re someone (especially a layperson) who refuses to accept conclusions derived from worldwide expertise using the best tools and knowledge available to determine what happened during an event, you have shot yourself in the foot regarding any conclusions whatsoever.
If you dismiss conclusions by those best qualified to make them with the best structural engineering and physics knowledge we currently have, then it makes no sense to trust any conclusions, opinions or information from any source whatsoever. Allow me to demonstrate the flawed thinking here:
1) Start with the assertion you don’t trust expert opinion or conclusions, regardless of your own expertise or not.
2) Based on #1, there’s zero justification for trusting any conclusion since you just dismissed the best ones offered.
3) If someone disputes the standing expert conclusion and points out they are not an expert, go to #2.
4) If someone disputes the standing expert conclusion and points out they are an expert, go to #1.
See the problem here?
Now it should be noted that our best minds and experts in any particular field are human, falliable and capable of making mistakes. Most of them (if reputable) will concede this issue, hence why we have systems in place like peer review and confirmation studies, etc.
So for the sake of argument, assume you’re a person who thinks they’ve found a flaw in official explanation submitted by experts done over years of analysis and countless years of combined human knowledge and wisdom on the issue. What is the appropriate action to perform?
1) Go online and try to convince a bunch of non experts that the real experts are wrong.
2) Go talk to the actual experts and see if they can address your concerns.
Let’s say you’re a fairly intelligent person and realize option #2 is the only one is going to get anywhere. Let’s say upon attempting #2, the experts don’t reply to you or address your concerns. What do you think is the appropriate conclusion in that instance?
1) The experts fear your superior opinions and conclusions, and remain silent in hopes you’ll go away instead of demonstrating to the world you’re superior to all of humanity’s best combined.
2) You’re a fucking idiot and they’re not interested in wasting their time talking to a non expert whom they’d have to spend a great deal of time educating on the subject, something they had to spend a great deal of time and money on to get for themselves.