3 of 3
Trekkies Rejoice: Warp Drive May Be More Feasible Than Thought
Posted: 22 November 2012 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7571
Joined  2007-03-02
George - 22 November 2012 05:23 AM

What’s wrong with The Catcher in the Rye, psik? I have created a book list for my kids I think they ought to read (just in case I drop dead one of these days) and Catcher is on top of that list. Did I make a mistake?

It’s a boring read.  I had a very difficult time keeping my attention focused on it when I was in high school.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 22 November 2012 08:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Interesting. Is there anybody else here who didn’t like the book?

Posted: 22 November 2012 08:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

I didn’t like “Of Mice and Men” or that sickening book of a bunch of boys on an island being barbaric and tried to eat Piggy or did eat him either.  I really don’t want to remember either, because they made me so sick to my stomach.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 22 November 2012 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Total Posts:  3052
Joined  2011-11-04

What’s wrong with The Catcher in the Rye, psik? I have created a book list for my kids I think they ought to read (just in case I drop dead one of these days) and Catcher is on top of that list. Did I make a mistake?

Doesn’t that book make people go crazy and go out and try to kill pop stars?... although we do seem to have an overabundance of popstars these days…

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 22 November 2012 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-07-05

It was an intense bore.

How about:  Voyage from Yesteryear by James P. Hogan

http://www.troynovant.com/Grube/Hogan/Voyage-from-Yesteryear.html

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 22 November 2012 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
TimB - 22 November 2012 10:58 AM

Doesn’t that book make people go crazy and go out and try to kill pop stars?... although we do seem to have an overabundance of popstars these days…

You see what the nurture fanaticism does to you? It even makes you to fear books.  grin

Posted: 22 November 2012 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
psikeyhackr - 22 November 2012 11:08 AM

It was an intense bore

Oh, I thought you had something more objective as to why kids shouldn’t read it. Actually, you didn’t have to if you were a trendsetter—which you are definitely not.  grin

Posted: 22 November 2012 02:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Total Posts:  3156
Joined  2011-08-15

I didn’t like “Of Mice and Men” or that sickening book of a bunch of boys on an island being barbaric and tried to eat Piggy or did eat him either.  I really don’t want to remember either, because they made me so sick to my stomach.

Liked them both, and you’re talking about “Lord of the Flys” by Fielding. Talk about nature vs. nurture! The boys reverted to barbarism in a short period. And Steinbeck is one of my favorite authors. Him and Faulkner too. The Grapes of Wrath is a classic. Liked the movie Too.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 22 November 2012 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Joined  2007-03-02
Thevillageatheist - 22 November 2012 02:36 PM

Liked them both, and you’re talking about “Lord of the Flys” by Fielding. Talk about nature vs. nurture! The boys reverted to barbarism in a short period. And Steinbeck is one of my favorite authors. Him and Faulkner too. The Grapes of Wrath is a classic. Liked the movie Too.

Cap’t Jack

I thought those two books were just plain sick and horrifying.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 22 November 2012 04:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-07-05
George - 22 November 2012 11:40 AM
psikeyhackr - 22 November 2012 11:08 AM

It was an intense bore

Oh, I thought you had something more objective as to why kids shouldn’t read it. Actually, you didn’t have to if you were a trendsetter—which you are definitely not.  grin

A rich high school kid that wasn’t smart enough to get through high school competently is supposed to be worth reading about by high school kids.  Yeah, that makes sense.

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 22 November 2012 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
George - 22 November 2012 11:31 AM
TimB - 22 November 2012 10:58 AM

You see what the nurture fanaticism does to you? It even makes you to fear books.  grin

I will forgive your implication that I am a fanatic, as you may believe that you were engineered at conception to ultimately make that comment (without regards to anything that you may have learned since birth).

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 22 November 2012 07:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Total Posts:  2679
Joined  2011-04-24
George - 22 November 2012 08:51 AM

Interesting. Is there anybody else here who didn’t like the book?

It was somewhat boring IMO; there was some humor in it though.

I think when it came out in the ‘50s, it was mildly shocking to some middle class Americans - probably because of some vaguely gay things that happen to the main character.  Basically, the book is about a nihilistic teenager at a boarding school who drops out, and goes to New York in order to loose his virginity.

I don’t think it’s a bad book for your kids to read, however.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 22 November 2012 08:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

I didn’t like it so much that I never read it and never intend to..

Signature 

3 of 3