Ashes of Sai Baba
Posted: 19 September 2012 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  207
Joined  2011-09-23

Do you know that “miracle” Sai Baba was famous for?
I mean the materialization of so called holy ashes, I know that he used small pills he hid between his fingers to create small quantities of ash, but does anyone know how he did the that trick where he turns a plant pot upside down and pours “tons” of that stuff out of it?

Posted: 21 September 2012 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

I don’t know Sai Baba.  Is he another trickster who claims to be a holy guru, or what?

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 21 September 2012 08:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  2750
Joined  2011-11-04

I don’t know Sai Baba either.  But maybe he uses something like those little snake pellet things that you can get when you can’t get real fireworks.

Signature 

“Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb… We are bound to others, past and present… And by each crime and every kindness… We birth our future.”  Sonmi, 2144.

Posted: 22 September 2012 12:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11
Alexander80 - 19 September 2012 12:26 PM

Do you know that “miracle” Sai Baba was famous for?
I mean the materialization of so called holy ashes, I know that he used small pills he hid between his fingers to create small quantities of ash, but does anyone know how he did the that trick where he turns a plant pot upside down and pours “tons” of that stuff out of it?

Sounds like sleigh of hand. I’ll bet any halfway decent magician could do the same thing.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 22 September 2012 06:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  1064
Joined  2007-06-20

Here is a video of the effect in question. 

Western audiences would demand their magicians show them the pot to be empty first.  And any good western magician would find a method to do just that.  That is not the case here since the compressed powder completely fills the pot from the start - a pot with extra space due to the wide bowed area around the middle.  My “contrived” explanation (according to the snide narration accompanying the video) is, nonetheless, correct.

Signature 

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation.

—James Madison

Posted: 22 September 2012 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  2750
Joined  2011-11-04
Rocinante - 22 September 2012 06:08 AM

Here is a video of the effect in question. 

Western audiences would demand their magicians show them the pot to be empty first.  And any good western magician would find a method to do just that.  That is not the case here since the compressed powder completely fills the pot from the start - a pot with extra space due to the wide bowed area around the middle.  My “contrived” explanation (according to the snide narration accompanying the video) is, nonetheless, correct.

Wow… That was not very impressive.  I guess Vibhuti is not very significant, whoever Vibhuti is.

Signature 

“Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb… We are bound to others, past and present… And by each crime and every kindness… We birth our future.”  Sonmi, 2144.

Posted: 07 October 2012 03:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  207
Joined  2011-09-23

Hm, I remember these things being only partialy full, maybe that works the same way and the ashes are compressed so that he has to use his hands to get it out, it could also be possible that these altars are prepared befor that and are able to pour aditional ash out by themself.