1 of 2
High-speed trains
Posted: 20 September 2012 02:26 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

What do you think of high-speed trains?

These four show you a smooth ride on a high-speed train, passing all the cars by:

Fastest Train 574 km/h (356.7 mi/h) - watch the top left speed

Maglev trains use levitation, for real, see.

High Speed MAGLEV train shock wave 430 KPH/267.2 mi/h

The Shanghai Maglev Train - 250mph - from WINDING ROAD

Taiwan High Speed Rail

These videos promote high-speed trains:

High Speed Trains Around the World

Maglev trains are a great technology, with low maintenance, low operating cost, and quiet at high speed, no noise from a jet engine as they fly, when compared to high-speed wheeled trains.  smile

Maglev Train - complete video presentation

MAGLEV train “capable” of 3,500 km/h

[ Edited: 20 September 2012 02:37 PM by jump_in_the_pit ]
 Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 21 September 2012 09:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2012-08-27

As long as it does not use too much energy..hehe

Posted: 21 September 2012 08:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  3075
Joined  2011-11-04

They are way cool.  But at 100 billion dollars a mile for the initial construction (and probably multiple times that for the really fast vacuum tube models)..
Well, I just don’t think I can afford it.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 21 September 2012 10:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  2416
Joined  2007-07-05
TimB - 21 September 2012 08:45 PM

They are way cool.  But at 100 billion dollars a mile for the initial construction (and probably multiple times that for the really fast vacuum tube models)..

This Shanghai Maglev Train demonstration line, or Initial Operating Segment (IOS), has been in commercial operations since April 2004 and now operates 115 (up from 110 daily trips in 2010) daily trips that traverse the 30 km (19 mi) between the two stations in just 7 minutes, achieving a top speed of 431 km/h (268 mph), averaging 266 km/h (165 mph).

The Shanghai maglev demonstration line cost US$1.2 billion to build. This total includes infrastructure capital costs such as right-of-way clearing, extensive pile driving, on-site guideway manufacturing, in-situ pier construction every 25 meters, a maintenance facility and vehicle yard, several switches, two stations, operations and control systems, power feed system, cables and inverters, and operational training.

When the SMT in Shanghai begins to extend its line to South Shanghai Train Station, its goal is to limit the cost of future construction to approximately US $18 million per kilometer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maglev#Economics

The current segment was $63 million per mile.

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 21 September 2012 11:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  3075
Joined  2011-11-04
psikeyhackr - 21 September 2012 10:14 PM
TimB - 21 September 2012 08:45 PM

This Shanghai Maglev Train demonstration line, or Initial Operating Segment (IOS), has been in commercial operations since April 2004 and now operates 115 (up from 110 daily trips in 2010) daily trips that traverse the 30 km (19 mi) between the two stations in just 7 minutes, achieving a top speed of 431 km/h (268 mph), averaging 266 km/h (165 mph).

The Shanghai maglev demonstration line cost US$1.2 billion to build. This total includes infrastructure capital costs such as right-of-way clearing, extensive pile driving, on-site guideway manufacturing, in-situ pier construction every 25 meters, a maintenance facility and vehicle yard, several switches, two stations, operations and control systems, power feed system, cables and inverters, and operational training.

When the SMT in Shanghai begins to extend its line to South Shanghai Train Station, its goal is to limit the cost of future construction to approximately US $18 million per kilometer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maglev#Economics

The current segment was $63 million per mile.

psik

It sure sounds like the commentator says 50 billion euro per mile (at 5:35) on this video link that Jump provided.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIwbrZ4knpg&feature=bf_next&list=PL73vTDPSdC6UiweZ1b0y7LiTyUvb8VbrD

But, hey, if it’s only 63 million per mile, let’s borrow some more money from China and build those suckers, right after we build a nation wide renewable energy infrastructure.

Did I say it’s way cool?  It is.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 26 September 2012 11:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

Maglev trains do not touch the tracks, levitation on electric tracks, NO mechanical tracks and wheels, so the maintenance is cheap, I hear.  The government is good at building new infrastructure (that’s sexy politics!), but bad at maintaining it (that’s boring politics downer).

Signature 

Posted: 26 September 2012 12:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  1397
Joined  2010-04-22

I think it’s a pretty damn good idea, and stands to provide some real competition with the current favorite in U.S. long-distance commuting: flight. As a consumer, even if a train from Detroit to Los Angeles takes 8 hours and costs $500, bought the day of the trip, that’s a lot less than what I would spend on a last-minute airline ticket, and with the security and luggage waiting, not too much longer.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 23 November 2012 06:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  123
Joined  2012-11-15

Maglev trains seem to require too much concrete for building the tracks. Making concrete requires huge amounts of energy. The German government killed the Maglev project. What is hard to understand is the absence of bullet trains in the US. It totally makes sense to have one from Boston down to Washington. That would save a lot of domestic flights. When I take a bullet train from Frankfurt to Cologne this takes less than one hour. Neither a plane nor a Porsche can beat this.

Posted: 24 August 2013 10:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

Now that Musk, founder of SpaceX and Tesla Motors, has taken up the idea, Maglev trains now have a big boost.  Musk is a man who knows how to innovate, and has the money to do it too. smile

Wired: Elon Musk Thinks He Can Get You From NY to LA in 45 Minutes

xxxxx xx xxxxxx xxx x xx   x xxxxx xxxxx xx xxxxxx xxx x xx   x xxxxx xx xxxxxx xxx x xx   x xxxxx xx xxxxxx xxx x xx   x xxxxx xx xxxxxx xxx x

Signature 

Posted: 25 August 2013 08:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2010-04-22

2800 miles in 45 minutes? That’s about 3700 miles per hour. No train can go that fast.

Signature 

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 25 August 2013 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27
jump_in_the_pit - 20 September 2012 02:26 PM

What do you think of high-speed trains?

They’re nice and bright and shiny and FAST and they cost so much they will never pay for themselves. Such projects may well send governments into irretrievable bankruptcy.  It’s like a guy who makes $20,000 a year, has a family to support and finances a brand new Porsche.  All he sees is bright, shiny and FAST! He’s an idiot.

Lois

These four show you a smooth ride on a high-speed train, passing all the cars by:

Fastest Train 574 km/h (356.7 mi/h) - watch the top left speed

Maglev trains use levitation, for real, see.

High Speed MAGLEV train shock wave 430 KPH/267.2 mi/h

The Shanghai Maglev Train - 250mph - from WINDING ROAD

Taiwan High Speed Rail

These videos promote high-speed trains:

High Speed Trains Around the World

Maglev trains are a great technology, with low maintenance, low operating cost, and quiet at high speed, no noise from a jet engine as they fly, when compared to high-speed wheeled trains.  smile

Maglev Train - complete video presentation

MAGLEV train “capable” of 3,500 km/h

Posted: 25 August 2013 12:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

T.A,. the concept (not that I think it’s reasonable to build) is to construct a tunnel then remove all the air so the train would be travelling in a complete vacuum and possibly floating on a magnetic field.  Since there would be no frictional or other energy loss, as energy is applied the train would accelerate to extremely high speed.  (I’d still prefer using the Star Trek means of transport. smile  )

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 26 August 2013 01:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27
Occam. - 25 August 2013 12:48 PM

T.A,. the concept (not that I think it’s reasonable to build) is to construct a tunnel then remove all the air so the train would be travelling in a complete vacuum and possibly floating on a magnetic field.  Since there would be no frictional or other energy loss, as energy is applied the train would accelerate to extremely high speed.  (I’d still prefer using the Star Trek means of transport. smile  )

Occam

It would work much better and cost less, too.

Lois tongue wink

Posted: 27 August 2013 07:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2010-04-22
Occam. - 25 August 2013 12:48 PM

Occam

Good God, building a vacuumed tunnel thousands of miles long would be one hell of an engineering undertaking. Speaking of friction, here’s what I see as potential problems:

A kind of electromagnetic friction for making very small movements to keep the train moving in the right direction. (There’s no such thing as complete frictionless motion except in superconductors, and that’s just moving electrons)

Major, major infrastructure to keep the tunnel vacuumed. Air will leak in from the tunnel walls from the surrounding rock, and that will have to be removed.

Major safety systems so that the first little earthquake doesn’t send the whole thing crashing to a dramatic finale.

It may actually be easier to send people into orbit to achieve such speeds than to build this kind of tunnel.

Signature 

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 27 August 2013 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I agree completely, which is why I indicated it doesn’t sound reasonable to build, and that I rather wait for the Star Trek method than trying the vacuum tube train. smile

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 27 August 2013 10:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  433
Joined  2012-02-02
jump_in_the_pit - 24 August 2013 10:46 AM

Now that Musk, founder of SpaceX and Tesla Motors, has taken up the idea, Maglev trains now have a big boost.  Musk is a man who knows how to innovate, and has the money to do it too. smile

Wired: Elon Musk Thinks He Can Get You From NY to LA in 45 Minutes

xxxxx xx xxxxxx xxx x xx   x xxxxx xxxxx xx xxxxxx xxx x xx   x xxxxx xx xxxxxx xxx x xx   x xxxxx xx xxxxxx xxx x xx   x xxxxx xx xxxxxx xxx x

But he’s stated he “doesn’t have time” to do it right now, and will “consider it” in 5 years.  His estimate of a system running between just to cities in CA is $4+ billion, he can’t even get the land needed to accomplish this for that price, even with using tubes running over the grassy medians of existing high ways for most of it.  Then there’s the issue of making it earthquake proof.

Signature 

“There will come a time when it isn’t ‘They’re spying on me through my phone’ anymore. Eventually, it will be ‘My phone is spying on me’.” ― Philip K. Dick

The Atheist in the Trailer Park

1 of 2