2 of 2
Health care overbilling—symptom of a larger problem?
Posted: 24 September 2012 11:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1397
Joined  2010-04-22
damoncasale - 24 September 2012 05:02 PM

Yes it is, which is why I emphasized the repeatability of my friend’s experiences with martial arts techniques.  Although that doesn’t *directly* transfer over to acupuncture and acupressure, the theory behind all of those things is exactly the same.

Damon

Repeatability is an important part of the process, but it isn’t the whole process. You also have to account for and eliminate other possible causes for the observed effect. Here is an excellent example of a blind scientific test:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHs0vM3gRTA&list=UUdGkmb5zEDXnPSmQlV43t0Q&index=6&feature=plcp

In this case, the test is to see the effects of wearing a bracelet that has a particular kind of microchip in it. The claimant says that the bracelet enhances balance and coordination, and he clearly has repeatability. And I think that he thinks that he actually is seeing an effect, that he isn’t conning anyone. But his methodology isn’t airtight, and the blind paper bag drawing is introduced to eliminate any bias on the tester’s part, and on the part of the critical panel observing.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

2 of 2