Hello from Oklahoma
Posted: 20 December 2006 08:03 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2006-12-19

I’m a college kid from Oklahoma City. I’m an atheist and have been so for many years. I come from a moderate Christian family but there was very little indoctrination in this house. Probably the bare minimum. So deconversion was nice and easy, and, although it was a slow process punctuated with larger realizations, I didn’t have far to go before calling myself "atheist". I’m pretty sure I qualify as a secular humanist too but I identify myself as "atheist" before anything else.

I’ve started reading [i:ac3b743855]Free Inquiry[/i:ac3b743855] and [i:ac3b743855]Skeptical Inquirer[/i:ac3b743855] only recently (haven’t subscribed yet but plan on it), and have listened to a few Point of Inquiry podcasts (the latest with Paul Kurtz was quite good, I thought).

Posted: 20 December 2006 08:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-12-19

Hello from Oklahoma

I’m a college kid from Oklahoma City. I’m an atheist and have been so for many years. I come from a moderate Christian family but there was very little indoctrination in this house. Probably the bare minimum. So deconversion was nice and easy, and, although it was a slow process punctuated with larger realizations, I didn’t have far to go before calling myself “atheist”. I’m pretty sure I qualify as a secular humanist too but I identify myself as “atheist” before anything else.

I’ve started reading Free Inquiry and Skeptical Inquirer only recently (haven’t subscribed yet but plan on it), and have listened to a few Point of Inquiry podcasts (the latest with Paul Kurtz was quite good, I thought).

Posted: 04 January 2007 10:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  248
Joined  2005-06-28

I am an Oklahoman myself and my first question for you is do you like ou.

Signature 

Fighting the evil belief that there is a god(s).

Posted: 04 January 2007 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2005-06-28

BTW I am a Cowboys fan, but I watch OU more than OSU in football. But then again I don’t usually watch football.

Signature 

Posted: 15 January 2007 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-12-19

Honestly I’m not much of a sports fan, but I have more connections with OU. Several of my friends go there.

I’ve been thinking about going to OU after I finish my last semester at OCCC, possibly studying astrophysics or writing or something, I don’t know.

Now a question in return: being an atheist in Oklahoma, have you ever heard of the Oklahoma Atheists ? Honestly the site itself is about the worst website I’ve ever seen, freethought or otherwise, but I think it’s important for “grassroots atheism” to have a forum-medium to bolster effectiveness and network with other, smaller groups, which you can’t really do without being awkward on national and international-scale sites and forums like CFI and Internet Infidels and the like.

Posted: 27 January 2007 04:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2005-06-28

No I haven’t until now but they appear to be a local division of the American Atheist orginization.

Signature