Are we tolerant today?

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 27 November 2012 07:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4726
Joined  2007-10-05

I drink wine occasionally, and if that’s what it takes to include Occam I’ll take one for the team.  grin

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 27 November 2012 08:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26

I hate coffee and tea and I’m a teetotaler.  I do, however, drink copious amounts of juice and carbonated beverages.  I don’t care what you go with, I can bring my own.  If I show up.  I hate church.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 27 November 2012 01:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Total Posts:  5500
Joined  2010-06-16

I’ll be happy to join, and I’ll take a nice mix of D.M.‘s juice with the tequila George discarded, but I also sure as hell won’t have anything to do with bourbon.  However, Scotch is OK.  Since I haven’t played for years, I recently donated my guitar through a music school owner who has a class for disadvantaged kids to a 13 year old Latino girl in a foster home.  The photo he showed me of her big grin as she held the guitar made it worth more than the value of the instrument.

I also agree with D.M. about tea and most coffee.  Since I do like the caffeine, I will drink instant coffee if well doctored half and half with milk and well sweetened.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 27 November 2012 02:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Total Posts:  3052
Joined  2011-11-04

I am not a big fan of alcoholic beverages, but can drink just about any of it.  I appreciate a nice single-malt whiskey on occasion. And I appreciate, what is for me, the energy inducing effects of Tequila.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 27 November 2012 04:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Total Posts:  6001
Joined  2009-02-26

A punch bowl full of kava will bring good cheer and comradery…... cheese

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 27 November 2012 05:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Total Posts:  775
Joined  2009-07-17

Well, at least we agree that our ‘worship’ place would have a well stocked bar.  grin

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 27 November 2012 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Total Posts:  4726
Joined  2007-10-05
harry canyon - 27 November 2012 05:24 PM

Well, at least we agree that our ‘worship’ place would have a well stocked bar.  grin

Take care,

Derek

And music. See this youtube video: Agnostic Gospel Song by Andy Corwin. I’ve linked this song before but this seems an appropriate thread to do so again. Besides, Andy’s a friend and I want to give his music as much exposure as possible.

After we’ve downed some of the bar stock we can sing John Butler’s Hand of the Almighty. Warning! Profanity! Not safe for work!

[ Edited: 27 November 2012 05:55 PM by DarronS ]
 Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 27 November 2012 08:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Total Posts:  2634
Joined  2011-04-24
Occam. - 26 November 2012 06:28 PM

Re: Atheists who attend church reminds me:  Shortly after I started working for my company we had a regional meeting that included lab and sales personnel.  I ran into an older salesman who often won saleman of the year.  A group of us sat in the lounge after dinner, and I enjoyed listening to the stories of the older personnel.  The salesman admitted that he was an atheist, but that he regularly attended different churches when he was away from his home base.  He explained that there were always church ladies who would invite the lonely out-of-towner to dinner, and he’d end up spending the night.  A guess that was one of his rituals.  LOL

Occam

I would worship that man.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 28 November 2012 01:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Total Posts:  775
Joined  2009-07-17
DarronS - 27 November 2012 05:30 PM

And music. See this youtube video: Agnostic Gospel Song by Andy Corwin. I’ve linked this song before but this seems an appropriate thread to do so again. Besides, Andy’s a friend and I want to give his music as much exposure as possible.

That was cool! Shared.  LOL

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 28 November 2012 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Total Posts:  4419
Joined  2008-08-14

Apparently religion was good for something.  I could begin to enumerate the many positive effects it had on the formation of the United States and the abolition of slavery to start.
I have learned a good bit about the history of religion in the US.  There can be no doubt that it had positive effects.
This statement supercedes any statements I have made in the past completely eschewing religion as a positive force.(if I did, I think I did.)
It’s most likely that organized religion is still having a positive force in circumstances.
Obviously religion had many negative effects too. And still does.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 29 November 2012 06:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Total Posts:  7664
Joined  2008-04-11
VYAZMA - 28 November 2012 01:37 PM

Apparently religion was good for something.  I could begin to enumerate the many positive effects it had on the formation of the United States and the abolition of slavery to start.

Religion had a LOT to do with the continuation and justification of slavery.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 29 November 2012 06:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Total Posts:  3052
Joined  2011-11-04
asanta - 29 November 2012 06:31 PM

I think that you are each correct here.  I wonder whether slavery would have existed historically even without the influence of religion, though perhaps to a greater or lesser extent?  Slavery, apparently, still exists today, though not openly, as far as I know.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 29 November 2012 07:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Total Posts:  3060
Joined  2011-08-15

I think that you are each correct here.  I wonder whether slavery would have existed historically even without the influence of religion, though perhaps to a greater or lesser extent?  Slavery, apparently, still exists today, though not openly, as far as I know.

The main cause of African-American slavery was economic with the side cause being status. The more you owned, the higher in society you climbed. The “peculiar institution” in the South was sustained by religion and slaves were allowed to worship and appoint lay preachers from among the field hands and house slaves. In fact they were encouraged to BE religious to convince them of a better Iife in the beyond if they served massa well. They did use it to their advantage though by using the spirituals they sang as map songs to escape bondage. So in a way religion was a help in the South and in the North it helped the abolitionists to convince people of the righteousness of their cause: “Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the lord”.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 29 November 2012 08:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Total Posts:  2634
Joined  2011-04-24
TimB - 29 November 2012 06:44 PM
asanta - 29 November 2012 06:31 PM

Slavery is still very common worldwide - in many regions it is out in the open. Even in the US, believe or not.

There was a recent case of sexual slavery in my area -
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2012-05-15/news/bs-md-co-sex-abuse-20120515_1_slave-case-indictment-abuse-charges

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/documentaries/2009/05/090515_ antislavery

http://www.hrw.org/legacy/backgrounder/africa/sudanupdate.htmhttp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_slavery

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

4 of 9