Is it wrong to be aimless?
Posted: 29 September 2012 11:01 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-09-29

People often accuse me of being aimless and lazy. I certainly am. I am not particularly interested in any subjects, be it science or art or whatnot, nor am I good at anything, specifically. I am not money-minded or career-oriented. I don’t feel strongly about anything, so activism and such are not for me. Put simply, I am just a simple guy who likes to eat, sleep, watch tv, smoke.

People notice this apathy and say I am abnormal. Am I, though? Am I abnormal for just drifting through life without making the effort to do anything, to achieve things, or to become somebody?

[ Edited: 29 September 2012 11:15 PM by Joker ]

Posted: 29 September 2012 11:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2634
Joined  2011-04-24

That sounds quite normal.  Some people are heavily fixated on something for long periods of time, others drift between life’s currents until something snaps them to attention, still others take everything in stride.

As long as it’s not harming you or anyone else, it shouldn’t be a problem.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 29 September 2012 11:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  5500
Joined  2010-06-16

I agree.  Some have a variety of motivations, to help others, greed, to pleasure themselves, etc.  There’s not particular reason for anyone to have a particular drive, although many religions insist that we all have a purpose.  As long as you’re not hurting anyone else, I see nothing wrong with your ideas.  I’m assuming that you have some sort of job such that you are producing about as much value as you are using up.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 30 September 2012 05:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  4726
Joined  2007-10-05

You have every right to waste your life if you want. Still, it seems rather pathetic to me that someone would prefer sitting around doing nothing all day rather than making a positive contribution to society. what are you going to think when you’re old and near death? Will you look back on your life and be content knowing you wasted the precious little time you had, or will you regret that choice?

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 30 September 2012 05:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15343
Joined  2006-02-14

“Becoming somebody” is just ego talk. That’s pointless, and you’re better off without it. But perhaps there’s a way you can help others, either through your job or volunteer work of some kind. It doesn’t have to be “activism” per se if that doesn’t interest you.

Still, if you aren’t hurting anyone with your apathy, you’re already well ahead of the game compared to a hefty percentage of your peers ...

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 30 September 2012 05:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  3060
Joined  2011-08-15

You have every right to waste your life if you want. Still, it seems rather pathetic to me that someone would prefer sitting around doing nothing all day rather than making a positive contribution to society. what are you going to think when you’re old and near death? Will you look back on your life and be content knowing you wasted the precious little time you had, or will you regret that choice?

I agree Darron, and everyone has the right to do as they wish here as long as no one is prevented from doing the same thing, but it is the height of boring and the dull sameness of it leads to the bars filling up on the weekends where they all drown their sorrows and prepare for yet another week of dull sameness. I tried that once for 6 months when I was 18. I worked at a towel plant 6 days a week then hit a bar with the rest of the drones. I wanted to put a gun in my mouth. I promised myself, never again, went back to school and got on with my life. That, above all else was my motivation and if it can be called selfish, then so be it. And now I can look back with few regrets and a lot of good memories. I know this sounds cliche but a movie quote, “what we do in life echoes in eternity”.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 30 September 2012 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  5943
Joined  2006-12-20
Joker - 29 September 2012 11:01 PM

People often accuse me of being aimless and lazy. I certainly am. I am not particularly interested in any subjects, be it science or art or whatnot, nor am I good at anything, specifically. I am not money-minded or career-oriented. I don’t feel strongly about anything, so activism and such are not for me. Put simply, I am just a simple guy who likes to eat, sleep, watch tv, smoke.

People notice this apathy and say I am abnormal. Am I, though? Am I abnormal for just drifting through life without making the effort to do anything, to achieve things, or to become somebody?

a simple guy who likes to eat, sleep, watch tv, smoke.

I think happiness is the aim but will this continue to make you happy?

I doubt it because although you say you are not money minded, to be happy you need shelter, you need food and you need your pleasure, telly and smoking for the mo. All money is, is the stuff that buys these things and actually it takes a lot of the stuff. So if you don’t earn it, either you’ll go without and be unhappy or you’ll be a burden on others and be unhappy.

I also think being addicted to anything will tend to increase unhappiness, smoking is addictive. Also lack of exercise (I see no mention of exercise in your list) will tend to make you less happy. Also you are missing out on the happiness that comes from struggling at something and getting good at it, nobody starts out particularly good at anything, they get good by working at it.

Stephen

Posted: 30 September 2012 08:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  5943
Joined  2006-12-20
Thevillageatheist - 30 September 2012 05:38 AM

That, above all else was my motivation and if it can be called selfish, then so be it.

I think people are often oddly negative about selfish motivations. Selfish motivations are fine, take the motivation to make yourself happy by helping others.

How bad can that be.

Stephen

[ Edited: 30 September 2012 09:06 AM by StephenLawrence ]

Posted: 30 September 2012 11:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  5500
Joined  2010-06-16

When I think back to my earliest memories, George may have a point that it’s genetic because I’ve always been curious, trying to look at and listen to things, learning, doing something (however pointless or silly it may have been), and, as I got older, helping in general.  Although it wouldn’t fit me, I can easily imagine having no motivation to do anything other than take care of the bodily functions and turn off my mind, either with drugs, or more legally by watching television.  As such, it’s a personal choice, and we should respect it.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 30 September 2012 06:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  7540
Joined  2007-03-02

You sound normal to me.  I’m guessing you’re in your early to mid 20s.  I think at that age it is not unusual for some to be aimless until they figure out what they want.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 30 September 2012 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  3060
Joined  2011-08-15

You sound normal to me.  I’m guessing you’re in your early to mid 20s.  I think at that age it is not unusual for some to be aimless until they figure out what they want.

And that’s ok too, Mriana as long as he doesn’t take another 20 years to figure it out. Remember Joker, the clock is ticking. Tempus Fugit! Oh, and don’t forget to vote; that is if you live here. And I didn’t say for whom.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine