9 of 28
will freethinkers accept god if they find evidence?
Posted: 25 April 2013 09:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 121 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4622
Joined  2007-10-05
Adonai888 - 25 April 2013 08:37 AM

these few things confirm the bible is right.

Which part of the Bible is right?

The part that says if a man rapes a woman and gets her pregnant he should marry her?
The part that says if someone from outside your tribe wanders into your village you can kidnap that person and make him a slave?
The poem about how joyous it is to bash babies’ heads against rocks?
Noah and the Flood?

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 25 April 2013 09:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 122 ]
Total Posts:  384
Joined  2009-05-03
Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon - 25 April 2013 09:09 AM

Regarding evolution, see http://www.talkorigins.org/ that way, you might just have a clue what you’re talking about.

Don’t try telling me you do.

You don’t.

If you have a clue, you are certainly able to explain , how the radar system of bats evolved.

Posted: 25 April 2013 09:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 123 ]
Joined  2009-05-03
DarronS - 25 April 2013 09:10 AM
Adonai888 - 25 April 2013 08:37 AM

these few things confirm the bible is right.

Which part of the Bible is right?

The part that says if a man rapes a woman and gets her pregnant he should marry her?
The part that says if someone from outside your tribe wanders into your village you can kidnap that person and make him a slave?
The poem about how joyous it is to bash babies’ heads against rocks?
Noah and the Flood?

I believe all the bible is right. If you are unwilling to interprete , what is poetic, what is not, its not the bibles fault.
But what i would rather like to see is a good case and positive arguments for philosophical naturalism. Just beat on the bible is not enough to convince me, that a atheistic worldview is more credible.

Posted: 25 April 2013 10:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 124 ]
Total Posts:  637
Joined  2012-04-25

Coming late to this party. But since we have a true blue fundie amongst us I’d like to ask a few questions.  And I honestly don’t mean to make these “gotcha” type questions.  I’m just curious what your response will be.

1) Is god a boy or a girl?  And if you pick one, in what sense, like if god is a boy, does he have a penis or a beard?
2) Is it possible Evolution is one of god’s creations? Is it possible god “added” evolution to the universe after the initial creation but didn’t want it mentioned in the bible for reasons unknown/unknowable to us humans?
3) Did god give humans brains capable of advanced reasoning? And if so, why do you think god did that?
4) Why did god allow human to use their brains to develop science and technology, then want them to NOT use it to try to explain his or her universe? (Point being, the brain and reasoning and science are pretty remarkable, a great gift from god you might say, so why would he/she/it not want us to use it to the fullest?)

Posted: 25 April 2013 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 125 ]
Total Posts:  2291
Joined  2007-07-05

What if the “evidence” straight from God says the Jesus Christ was a charlatan?

psik

[ Edited: 25 April 2013 11:42 AM by psikeyhackr ]
 Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 25 April 2013 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 126 ]
Total Posts:  345
Joined  2006-11-27

A simple argument for the superiority of philosophical naturalism over religion, particularly Christianity:  If I make an assertion based on scientific principles, and some one disagrees, all they need do is provide documented, repeatable evidence demonstrating that my assertion does not hold, or show that my assertion can not be used to make valid predictions, to prove it false or unworkable.  I cannot fall back on the claim that the other party didn’t properly understand the poetic implications of my assertion and therefore my assertion still holds.  So, philosophical naturalism is more useful than religion in that it, by it’s very nature, it must be useful in making valid predictions.  Religion has a very poor record of predicting anything.  So, basically, philosophical naturalism works and religion doesn’t.  That’s quite a bit more credible in my mind.

Signature 

If we’re not laughing, they’re winning.

Posted: 25 April 2013 10:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 127 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
Adonai888 - 25 April 2013 09:35 AM

If you have a clue, you are certainly able to explain , how the radar system of bats evolved.

Try Bat echolocation calls: adaptation and convergent evolution for a start.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”

Posted: 25 April 2013 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 128 ]
Total Posts:  2888
Joined  2011-08-15

A careful reading of richard Dawkins’s explanation would be a good start. Look up his reference if you dare to know the facts. Here’s a brief paper from the Royal Society that may suffice as a beginning to your research. I’ve read the bible many times but for the life of me I’ve never read a detailed explanation of the process of echolocation in bats. Genesis perhaps?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1919403/

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 25 April 2013 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 129 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
Thevillageatheist - 25 April 2013 10:50 AM

A careful reading of richard Dawkins’s explanation would be a good start. Look up his reference if you dare to know the facts. Here’s a brief paper from the Royal Society that may suffice as a beginning to your research. I’ve read the bible many times but for the life of me I’ve never read a detailed explanation of the process of echolocation in bats. Genesis perhaps?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1919403/

Cap’t Jack

Brilliant minds think alike.  wink

Signature 

Posted: 25 April 2013 10:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 130 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Ya scooped me Darron! Good job.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 25 April 2013 11:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 131 ]
Total Posts:  5976
Joined  2009-02-26
DarronS - 25 April 2013 10:49 AM
Adonai888 - 25 April 2013 09:35 AM

Try Bat echolocation calls: adaptation and convergent evolution for a start.

And the argument for irreducible complexity has been debunked long ago. There is no irreducible complexity which requires a “watchmaker”.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 25 April 2013 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 132 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Or even a blind one for that matter!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 25 April 2013 12:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 133 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

>>If you have a clue, you are certainly able to explain , how the radar system of bats evolved.<<

I already covered that ground. So did some others.

You’re appealing to ignorance again, which is a logical fallacy. Just because I personally may not know something (Or just because you think I don’t know something) doesn’t mean your proposition is the correct one.

Regarding evolution, try clicking on the link I provided to the Talkorigins website, and try to actually READ it this time.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 25 April 2013 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 134 ]
Joined  2009-05-03
CuthbertJ - 25 April 2013 10:29 AM

Coming late to this party. But since we have a true blue fundie amongst us I’d like to ask a few questions.  And I honestly don’t mean to make these “gotcha” type questions.  I’m just curious what your response will be.

1) Is god a boy or a girl?  And if you pick one, in what sense, like if god is a boy, does he have a penis or a beard?

God is spirit, has however choosen to reveal himself to us as male.

2) Is it possible Evolution is one of god’s creations? Is it possible god “added” evolution to the universe after the initial creation but didn’t want it mentioned in the bible for reasons unknown/unknowable to us humans?

God has given the animals the hability to adaptate themself to the environment. Thats called microevolution. The bible is not a scientific book, therefore it was not Gods purpose to explain these things to us. He has given us intelligence to find out certain things by our own.

3) Did god give humans brains capable of advanced reasoning? And if so, why do you think god did that?

God gave us the hability of reason, so we might recognize and find him, and communicate with him, and have community with him, and become his sons and daughters.

4) Why did god allow human to use their brains to develop science and technology, then want them to NOT use it to try to explain his or her universe? (Point being, the brain and reasoning and science are pretty remarkable, a great gift from god you might say, so why would he/she/it not want us to use it to the fullest?)

Who told you he does not want us to use our capabilities ? If he made them, there was also the purpose to use it.

Posted: 25 April 2013 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 135 ]
Joined  2009-05-03
Write4U - 25 April 2013 11:03 AM

And the argument for irreducible complexity has been debunked long ago..

baseless assertion.

9 of 28