5 of 28
will freethinkers accept god if they find evidence?
Posted: 19 March 2013 04:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Actually, you may want to start with some basic biology. We depend more on our parents than other animals because we have larger brains. Compared to other apes we are all born “prematurely” as women can’‘t give birth to one-year-old babies, a stage at which other apes find themselves when they are born.

[ Edited: 19 March 2013 06:04 PM by George ]

Posted: 19 March 2013 09:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2013-03-18
Write4U - 19 March 2013 02:46 PM
Arthur King - 19 March 2013 06:23 AM

My research and the resulting hypothesis starts with the question “Why does all of humanity do it, no matter how little contact they have with one another?” and “How are the lesser animals programmed, from the tiniest flea to the biggest whale?”.  Keep in mind that at this stage it is only a hypothesis.

That is not a correct statement. All of humanity does not believe in gods or deities.
Most gods come from witnessing unexplainable events which are then attributed to some intelligent director. Today we know that causality can be explained in scientific terms and no god is required to perform those “miracles of old”

I know of no separate isolated society that has not had a diety belief.  I think I have stumbled on the reason for this, a scientific, physical, reality, not a ‘spirit’ but certainly interpretable as one.

Posted: 19 March 2013 09:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2013-03-18
George - 19 March 2013 04:04 PM

Actually, you may want to start with some basic biology. We depend more on our parents than other animals because we have larger brains. Compared to other apes we are all born “prematurely” as women can’‘t give birth to one-year-old babies, a stage at which other apes find themselves when they are born.

Brain size is related to our communication ability, and the ability to retain a vast amount of knowledge. It is not a factor in the conditions of birth.

Posted: 19 March 2013 10:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

My point was that our brain size (related to many more things than just communication and memory) plays a factor why we are so much more fragile than others animals at birth. It simply takes longer to grow our brains, and women’s anatomy doesn’t allow to give birth to babies with more developed and therefore bigger brains.

Posted: 19 March 2013 11:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27
Arthur King - 19 March 2013 12:06 PM
George - 19 March 2013 07:38 AM

How does humanity do what, Arthur? And what are fleas and whale programmed to do?

All of humanity seems to automatically have a ‘god’ gene, since all have a diety of some kind, all independent and separate from one another.  Question:  Is this an inherited trait, or something else common to humanity.  If it is inherited, how?  How much programming can can a single cell carry forward? (I am a programmer).  All animals seem to be pre-programmed prior to birth, except humans.  Why is this?  Is it really pre-programming or are they all ‘programmed’ after birth?  It takes a smart human months to learn to fly but the tiniest gnat can fly immediately, navigate, do security maneuvers, find food and sex, and never gets lost.  A pig starts begging for food minutes after being born and knows it’s mother from all the other sows.  A human will die if not totally cared for after birth and has to be taught everything it will ever know after it is born, except the assumption of some kind of deity.  Why the difference?  I will be composing my answer to this soon in http://www.angeloftruth.com.  It is too long to post here.

It’s not a gene, it’s a meme. Read Susan Blackwood on the topic of memes. they are passed on like genes.

Posted: 20 March 2013 01:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
Total Posts:  4574
Joined  2007-08-31
Lois - 19 March 2013 11:53 PM

It’s not a gene, it’s a meme. Read Susan Blackwood on the topic of memes. they are passed on like genes.

Blackmore, not Blackwood.

And I think, that the main reason is that it is a byproduct of other traits, as George mentioned.

And even if you want to explain it in terms of memes, one should ask what the environment is in which such memes flourish. That it perfectly fits to certain biological based mental traits must be at least a part of such an explanation.

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 20 March 2013 04:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Right, GdB, although it would be religion that plays the role of a meme here, not the “god gene.” The “god gene,” or rather religiosity, would be the biologically based factor. The twin wnd adoptatoon studies clearly show that religiosity is inheritable, so genetics is evidently a factor. This still doesn’t tell us, however, if religiosity is an adaptation or a byproduct of other traits.

Posted: 20 March 2013 10:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27
GdB - 20 March 2013 01:13 AM

And I think, that the main reason is that it is a byproduct of other traits, as George mentioned.

And even if you want to explain it in terms of memes, one should ask what the environment is in which such memes flourish. That it perfectly fits to certain biological based mental traits must be at least a part of such an explanation.

Yes, I thought the name didn’t look right after I sent it.

Memes and genes are worth investigating.  We certainly don’t have all the answers yet, but meme theory is a good start. IMO, there is no god gene. Humans have a tendency to believe and pass on weird ideas and theism fits the bill perfectly.

Posted: 20 March 2013 05:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16
Arthur King - 19 March 2013 09:12 PM

Brain size is related to our communication ability, and the ability to retain a vast amount of knowledge. It is not a factor in the conditions of birth.

Sorry, but you are wrong.  George is correct.  If human babies were to remain in gestation as long (in relation to their life spans) as other primates, their skulls (and brains) would be too large to pass through the birth canal.  They have to be delivered much more prematurely than other primate infants.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 20 March 2013 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
Total Posts:  4400
Joined  2010-08-15
GdB - 20 March 2013 01:13 AM

I love CFI ! 

Tell me more about Blackwood and his “memes” idea.  [studious looking smilie]

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 21 March 2013 06:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2012-10-01

A biological trait is just what is not at play here.  Humans have certain things which make them human.  First, life;  Second, Choice;  Third, the ability to reason and use logic to determine truths, if one chooses, or to use fear and desire; and Fourth, we will all die.  It is the fear of the unknown in death, or a desire to live forever, which compels people to choose not to use reason and logic to believe in a “god”.  It is not a genetic trait.  Indeed, to say that is a genetic trait is to say that my choice for drinking water is a genetic trait, because all humans drink water.

Posted: 21 March 2013 07:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
dprice - 21 March 2013 06:01 AM

A biological trait is just what is not at play here.  Humans have certain things which make them human.  First, life;  Second, Choice;  Third, the ability to reason and use logic to determine truths, if one chooses, or to use fear and desire; and Fourth, we will all die.  It is the fear of the unknown in death, or a desire to live forever, which compels people to choose not to use reason and logic to believe in a “god”.  It is not a genetic trait.  Indeed, to say that is a genetic trait is to say that my choice for drinking water is a genetic trait, because all humans drink water.

You keep using that word, “a genetic trait.” I do not think it means what you think it means.  smirk

Posted: 21 March 2013 07:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]
Joined  2007-08-31
citizenschallenge.pm - 20 March 2013 08:00 PM

Tell me more about Blackwood and his “memes” idea.  [studious looking smilie]

Blackmore and hers ...

Here a good start.  shock

PS And Wikipedia of course…

Signature 

GdB

Posted: 21 March 2013 07:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]
Total Posts:  1777
Joined  2007-10-22

Thanks GdB

Adding it to my “to read list.”

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 21 March 2013 07:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]
Joined  2007-08-31

Just forgot:

Here she is

card+061+Susan+Blackmore.png

For the complete skeptic trump deck see here.

Signature 

GdB

5 of 28