Seidman review of Vaughn/Dacey textbook on Humanism
Posted: 24 December 2006 08:59 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  402
Joined  2003-09-24

[b:44a1738317]Review of [i:44a1738317]The Case for Humanism: An Introduction [/i:44a1738317]
by Lewis Vaughn & Austin Dacey

The Case for Humanism is co-written by two longtime members of organized humanism, whom together cover the history and premises █ if not most of the consequences █ of humanism; and, while doing so, present a fairly informative account of this vital living philosophy.

(But…)

If ... Vaughn and Dacey had ... fully articulated a well-rounded case for humanism, it would have covered arguments beyond science, metaphysics, and religion.  Indeed, the conspicuous lack of any references to the four defining documents of modern humanism █ the Humanist Manifestos █ and a highly truncated discussion of the socio-political consequences of having such a philosophy as humanism, surprised me as both Vaughn and Dacey are quite active in organized humanism.  It is unfortunate that when closing the 221 page book, it╠s student audience may know more about where humanism came from, and why God doesn╠t exist, than about what one can actually do with their lives once embracing the humanistic life-stance.

Read on:
http://atheism.about.com/od/bookreviews/a/CaseHumanism.htm[/b:44a1738317]

Signature 

Barry F. Seidman
Exec. Producer of Equal Time for Freethought