12 of 12
What is Religion?/the dynamic of religion : This is not about the definition of religion but the entity itself
Posted: 18 March 2013 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 166 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2013-03-18

Religion is defined by what it does.  Learn the truth, the whole truth, nothing but the truth at http://www.angeloftruth.com.

Posted: 18 March 2013 12:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 167 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2243
Joined  2012-10-27
macgyver - 04 October 2012 07:55 PM

Doug makes a good point. You are deluding yourself to think that anything can be defined with perfect ease so that here is no ambiguity.

Are these all chairs?

rocking-wheel-chair-mathias-koehler1.jpg243_photo_1_154213.png
cool-chair.jpg
Ana_Linares_Conversation_Chair_full.jpg
wilson_chair_5.jpg

Their creators think so but it might be difficult to come up with a definition that encompasses all the chairs you are familiar with as well as these and many others.

A chair is anything that can be sat upon or in.  A tree stump can be a chair.  The use of anything is in the mind of the beholder.

Posted: 18 March 2013 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 168 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2243
Joined  2012-10-27
the right of reason - 30 December 2012 11:05 AM

I would like to include that Atheism if “practiced” is a modern form of religion. The majority of atheists follow the belief that we evolved from apes.

—not true.  Evolution had been shown to be true.  That humans were descended from apes is a theoretical analysis of known facts.  Atheists dont believe in evolution—we accept empirical evidence.

This is a theroy that has never been proven.

It doesn’t have to be to be a rational theory. That’s all that intelligent people claim.

Actually, based on dna itself, science has shown that do to the lack of any evidence that links the species together through a logical timeline, it remains just a

—Nobody has claimed otherwise.

Thus it is the “faith” of the atheist that keeps the theroy alive.

—There is no faith I the theory of evolution, even by atheists.

And just like any other religion, one that belives in something will always find ways in proving its truth, without looking at the bigger picture.

—Atheists always look at the bigger picture. It’s theists who are apparently incapable of doing this.

I always like the comparisons of Jesus to that of Darwin. No different at all. Both made some pretty big claims. I now even see Darwin bummper stickers like the Jesus stickers….....both are just as crazy.

—you’d be wise if you would stop basing your philosophical understandings on bumper stickers.

Then look at the financial side of the evaluation. Religions have always looked for ways to spread its word through new churchs, advertisments and preachers etc…... Now look at the many atheist groups starting up ie, church of Darwin, cfi, the atheist alliance, european humanist federation, or any humist organization; they all collect funds for it survival, have saleries and advertise no differently that christian groups, or that of any corporate company would. 2weeks prior i am walking downtown and i see a bus pass by with a ad that states ” keep christ in christmas”, lol the bus two cars behind states “you dont need god to love”. Lol its called spread the word of your faith!

Sedularism is a religion…....down to the last nickel!

—No, it’s “advertise your opinion” and present it as opinion, not fact. The difference between atheist opinion and theistic opinion is that the atheist opinion is based on facts, evidence and lack of evidence, and the theistic opinion is based on myths, fear and wishful thinking.  There is no connection and no similarity.  Secularism is lack of religion.  Get over it!

Posted: 19 March 2013 06:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 169 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2013-03-18

“Perfect ease” is not part of the formulae.  “Religions” tend to be very complex political systems where man’s assumption of a ‘deity’ is used by tyrants for control.  Atheism is a lack of ‘belief’, an escape from the tyrannies of religions, a refusal to believe the bullshit spread by religions in their control efforts.  One can be an atheist and still make assumptions about deities by simply rejecting all of the lies of religions.

12 of 12